Notices

mapped imprezas and cold start issues

Search this Thread

Old 08 February 2015, 09:41 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts
Default mapped imprezas and cold start issues

i see quite a few people with cold start issues on their impreza and it seems to be once they have been mapped.

my last impreza once mapped developed a cold start issue where it would pump out white smoke for around 7-10 seconds then fire up-if i were to pump the gas pedal it would make it worse.my current impreza had a cold start issue where as it would run really really lumpy for maybe 5-7 seconds almost as if it were running on 2 cylinders and really stink of fuel.i had paul @ zen check the map and he altered the cold start function and its a hell of a lot better now.

with both cars once warm they started fine.

is this a mapping issue?

is there a component that doesnt work so well once the car is mapped?

both my impreza's were worlds apart (2.0 sti8 engine in wrx/forged 2.5 in blob sti)

discuss.......
Old 08 February 2015, 09:49 AM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mines never had any issues and hasn't had the standard map for years,emmas wrx never had issues either and that was mapped too.
Personally I wouldn't worry about a 10 seconds after start up issue of its been checked by zen.
Old 08 February 2015, 09:51 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fat-thomas
Mines never had any issues and hasn't had the standard map for years,emmas wrx never had issues either and that was mapped too.
Personally I wouldn't worry about a 10 seconds after start up issue of its been checked by zen.
it was more of a case of not trusting it to start and being stranded somewhere that bothered me,this one developed its issue when the outside temp started to get low and my old impreza did it in summer and winter

just seems strange so many people have cold start issues
Old 08 February 2015, 09:53 AM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

never had a problem with either of my mapped cars either bud. i had a classic wagon running 315 bhp and now have a bug sti mapped as well and start ups are spot on, and i live in bloody freezing jockland as well.
Old 08 February 2015, 09:54 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As it was explained to me one time, a mapper only has one chance to get the cold running right usually, that's when the engine is cold, so any cold start issues can only be addressed in a subsequent mapping correction.
Old 08 February 2015, 10:03 AM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

Never had any cold start issues on any of my mapped scoobs and the mapper never had any of them from cold
Old 08 February 2015, 10:04 AM
fat-thomas
BANNED

I
Originally Posted by domino46
Never had any cold start issues on any of my mapped scoobs and the mapper never had any of them from cold
Me too.
Mine was mapped on rcms rr straight after driving 30 odd miles there.
Old 08 February 2015, 10:10 AM
peter zippy reid
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine starts straight away when cold but drives lumpy till temp gets to about 40-50 degrees
The following users liked this post:
Old 08 February 2015, 10:19 AM
forgedmarco
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Yeah my mapped bug is the same little hesitant when cold but always fires up, momentum made it seem better for a couple months but I'm used to it now. Also lumpy for the first 1/4 mile then smooths out absolutely fine once warmed up.
Old 08 February 2015, 10:27 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I think a better question would be why would mapping a car change the idle ?
I cant see how or why when they remap your car it would need the idle touching, or anything relating to it.

discuss
Old 08 February 2015, 10:41 AM
Codders
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue by You
As it was explained to me one time, a mapper only has one chance to get the cold running right usually, that's when the engine is cold, so any cold start issues can only be addressed in a subsequent mapping correction.

This.

It's definitely a mapping issue.
It can be adjusted properly by leaving the car for the cold start tweak in mappers hands for a day or 2.
Old 08 February 2015, 10:51 AM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Could it be down to when mapping the tuner uses a wideband lambda for closed loop tuning,so when the car is handed back and uses the oem narrowband for the closed loop which is less accurate then this in someway affects cold start/idle/light cruise?
Just a thought?
Old 08 February 2015, 10:56 AM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig
I think a better question would be why would mapping a car change the idle ?
I cant see how or why when they remap your car it would need the idle touching, or anything relating to it.

discuss
I'd say it occurs when changing injectors etc.
Probably not such an issue on a standard car with just a remap
Old 08 February 2015, 11:13 AM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't think the context has been set correctly here.......

If you have a decent OEM ECU, that is mapped appropriately to your set-up, I doubt very much you would ever have an issue with cold start stuff (this never normally needs to change).

If you move to an after market ECU...... this is when the cold start mapping needs to be done, as it will ideally need to be set appropriate as per your specification. As already alluded to, this can only be "tested" on first cold start cycle. This is where the problem is, as to re-test you need to go through the whole cycle again....... this can end up taking days if you don't know what you're doing.
Old 08 February 2015, 11:16 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shaun
I don't think the context has been set correctly here.......

If you have a decent OEM ECU, that is mapped appropriately to your set-up, I doubt very much you would ever have an issue with cold start stuff (this never normally needs to change).

If you move to an after market ECU...... this is when the cold start mapping needs to be done, as it will ideally need to be set appropriate as per your specification.
Point well made
Old 08 February 2015, 12:01 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having suffered intermittent hesitant cold starting for years I discovered the 'stick on the throttle' trick and have no problems since (wedge the throttle open with a stick when leaving the car after use - ventilates the manifold/head. Remember to remove the stick when starting the car next time!) I know this isn't the correct cure, but for me and some others on here, seems to alleviate the problem. I originally thought it might be a dribbling injector but there's been an injector change some while back and it remained the same!
The use of the wideband sensor (as mentioned in a post above ) is to set AFR in the open loop stage when the engine is in boost, so would have no effect on the cold start regime even though the cold start part of the map is also open loop.
The cold start settings are usually ignored by mappers as the engine is usually way out of that stage when they receive the car for mapping.

JohnD

Last edited by JohnD; 08 February 2015 at 12:06 PM.
Old 08 February 2015, 12:27 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

More to the point your mapper is Paul blamire ,ask him as he would know more than the rest of us put together x10
Old 08 February 2015, 12:40 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

As Shaun points out. The requirements for cold engine operation and starting is different to running temperature. If this isn't right, then engine won't run right or be difficult to start.

Oxygen sensors can't be used when cold, so the ECU will run open loop, so it has no way of identifying over or under-fueling.

A cold engine will typically need the injectors to open longer, and the timing to be retarded along with teh idle control valve to be open more to hold a faster idle and account for the different timing. Thats the basic rule. But a factory ECU on bigger injectors and higher fuel pressures may over fuel if this hasn't been properly accounted for, an aftermarket ECU may do either depending on who has messed with it. Remember for a mapper to properly know how well a engine runs from stone cold, it must be stone cold. As in left to stand overnight, prerably outside...in winter. If the engine has been started a few hours previously, it'll be too warm.

You should never need to use the accelerator to start the engine in a EFi equipped engine unless it has some nutty camshaft profiles fitted (which Imprezas don't). So if you do need to give it some throttle, it ain't right.

A bit of lumpy running for the first 10seconds is generally acceptable. But it should still maintain a steady fast-idle (1000 to 1500rpm) and shouldn't hunt or try and stall.

Last edited by ALi-B; 08 February 2015 at 12:43 PM.
Old 08 February 2015, 02:36 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

More to the point your mapper is Paul blamire ,ask him as he would know more than the rest of us put together x10
Pauls mapping it again next month as I have a different induction kit/injectors to be fitted
Old 08 February 2015, 03:01 PM
CutMasterT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the shreksta
i see quite a few people with cold start issues on their impreza and it seems to be once they have been mapped.

my last impreza once mapped developed a cold start issue where it would pump out white smoke for around 7-10 seconds then fire up-if i were to pump the gas pedal it would make it worse.my current impreza had a cold start issue where as it would run really really lumpy for maybe 5-7 seconds almost as if it were running on 2 cylinders and really stink of fuel.i had paul @ zen check the map and he altered the cold start function and its a hell of a lot better now.

with both cars once warm they started fine.

is this a mapping issue?

is there a component that doesnt work so well once the car is mapped?

both my impreza's were worlds apart (2.0 sti8 engine in wrx/forged 2.5 in blob sti)

discuss.......
Yer this is exactly the issue I'm having, identical to this.

Mapper wants me to take to Surrey Rolling Road to look at. But surely this will mean the car will be warm when he looks at it, so I might ask that he see's the car stone cold.

I'm almost certain its a map issue as pre map from stone cold it started fine.
Old 08 February 2015, 03:32 PM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Shrek you have a PM mate
Old 08 February 2015, 04:16 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Ali B and Shaun have covered it.
To add -
If you are running a Simtek ECU
They do not have closed loop idle and are very hard to get the idle right and can also take a couple of seconds to find there feet before they fire the engine into life

What ECU is it Shreksta?
Old 08 February 2015, 04:24 PM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

newer ALKATEK ECU's (or original SIMTEK with the upgrade package) all have consistently good idle ability and cold start
Old 08 February 2015, 04:27 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes, I had my SimTek upgraded and the difference is like night and day
Old 08 February 2015, 04:28 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steve Whitehorn
Ali B and Shaun have covered it.
To add -
If you are running a Simtek ECU
They do not have closed loop idle and are very hard to get the idle right and can also take a couple of seconds to find there feet before they fire the engine into life

What ECU is it Shreksta?
Just a standard blob sti ecu/forged 2.5/gt3071r/power enterprise 650cc injectors etc
Old 08 February 2015, 05:35 PM
fawor
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Emmas wrx
Ive seen You both- unless it was Yours mother ,she could not fit in sti , im sure she would not buy wrx than , she needs wider car access
Old 08 February 2015, 05:37 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Originally Posted by fawor
Emmas wrx
Ive seen You both- unless it was Yours mother ,she could not fit in sti , im sure she would not buy wrx than , she needs wider car access
your made up posts make you look more stupid by the second
Old 08 February 2015, 05:41 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fawor
Emmas wrx
I think you need glasses as i have met emma and she is not big at all. If your going to abuse somebody the least you can do is state the truth.

Go and learn to read/write/spell aswell whilst your at it

Sorry I mean.......go then learn to reed/write/than spell aswel whilst than your are at then it........
Old 08 February 2015, 05:42 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Originally Posted by the shreksta
I think you need glasses as i have met emma and she is not big at all. If your going to abuse somebody the least you can do is state the truth.

Go and learn to read/write/spell aswell whilst your at it

Sorry I mean.......go then learn to reed/write/than spell aswel whilst than your are at then it........
this was kind of the point really, sniffing magic trees obviously makes you crazy.
Old 08 February 2015, 05:46 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

this was kind of the point really, sniffing magic trees obviously makes you crazy.
I'm not sure it is magic trees they give away at immigrant washes as the ones I've seen are smiley faces that smell of oven cleaner

Quick Reply: mapped imprezas and cold start issues