Notices

Help, replacement engine required, BIG/E bearings gone.

Search this Thread

Old 01 February 2015, 03:10 PM
Paulgeorge01
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Help, replacement engine required, BIG/E bearings gone.

Hi folks a bit of help if possible please. When driving home yesterday the car developed a mechanical chattering noise coming from the crankshaft, after 131 k miles the bottom end bearings had finally packed in. I am quite desperate to get car back on the road as this weather is too cold for my bicycle.
My UK MODEL SUBARU IMPREZA TURBO 2000 AWD REGISTERD JULY 1999. I thing this model is classed as a version 4 classic facelift model but don’t hold me to that. I also think the facelift V4 model runs between 1997 & 2000, Is this correct?
Details taken from ID plate passenger side turret. Applied model: GC8GK8D. Engine type: EJ205NW1KD. Transmission type: TY754VN1AA.
I can confirm that it is still the EJ205 engine that is running in the car as I have had the car since it was 6 months old. Also seen the EJ20 stamp when I removed & refitted the engine a couple of weeks ago to replace rocker gaskets, clutch & some other bit’s & bobs.
Have got the chance of a scrapped donor car from a mate at a good price. It is a slightly older (97 plate) UK classic face lift model (if that is correct name) can’t get through to see the car at the moment & he will not be home for a few days to check ID plate & engine for me. Will this engine work for my car? I can remember reading somewhere that all classic/WRX 1999 models onwards run EJ205 engines. Is this true? If so I guess the 1997 classic facelift engine will not work with my car? Am just thinking out loud, I don’t know, just thinking will it marry up with the 230 mm flywheel clutch assembly, gearbox & input shaft & ECU in my car? I would obviously want to swap my newly fitted components over from my old engine to the replacement engine prior to fitting.
Obviously the best solution would be to get a 99 classic EJ205 replacement engine. Then I could just swap the new clutch/***, flywheel skimmed & new pilot/spigot bearing, rocker gasket components over & my ECU would work fine. But that’s best case scenario, I am skint & desperate to get my car going so will have to consider what is available now but need to be educated a bit as to what will work as I really can’t afford to put in a replacement engine from newer or older car & find it will not work . Any help would be greatly appreciated. Apologies in advance for the long post & my ignorance. Cheers Paul.
Old 01 February 2015, 03:50 PM
nivek4209
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At worst the bottom end will work fine with your heads
I think your car should be version 5 on a 99 plate but I could be wrong
There are differences In The heAds and inlet Manifolds over the years classics were produced but the bottom half of the engine can be swapped out from almost any year right up into the newage cars
Avoid the twin turbo legacy engine though they run different pistons and compression ratios
Old 01 February 2015, 04:26 PM
blackvenom
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Uk cars never had versions, only jdms sti's. Uk2000 turbos had 3 engines forms over its product live. A phase 1. 1.5 and a 2, the coil packs are in different positons. Are you aiming to do a whole engine swap or just use it for parts?
Old 01 February 2015, 06:14 PM
Paulgeorge01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by blackvenom
Uk cars never had versions, only jdms sti's. Uk2000 turbos had 3 engines forms over its product live. A phase 1. 1.5 and a 2, the coil packs are in different positons. Are you aiming to do a whole engine swap or just use it for parts?
Thanks for your swift reply.

Looking to do a complete swap out. I can change a complete engine out quite quickly.

Have no experience in changing over intake, exhaust manifolds & from the open deck block out (heads & camshafts). I am a keen guy but is this maybe a bit much for the keen diy mechanic who has never been passed the rocker gaskets plus am desperate to get car up in running again. Is this a difficult & very time consuming process & would my ECU work fine once I changed everything over from my car to the 97 plate classic bottom end? which I have just found out has the engine code EJ20K which is obviously different from my EJ205 code.

I had no option when the bearing went to drive the car for a further 10 mins with chattering noise (nightmare), I wouldn't think so but do you think the upper end (cams,valves, etc) of my engine could have sustained some damage due to the increased vibration travelling up from the bottom end through rods & pistons? during the 10 mins the car was never above 1500 rpm. Thanks in advance.
Old 01 February 2015, 06:27 PM
Paulgeorge01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nivek4209
At worst the bottom end will work fine with your heads
I think your car should be version 5 on a 99 plate but I could be wrong
There are differences In The heAds and inlet Manifolds over the years classics were produced but the bottom half of the engine can be swapped out from almost any year right up into the newage cars
Avoid the twin turbo legacy engine though they run different pistons and compression ratios
Thanks for your swift reply.

I think the answer to this question would be yes but just want to check.

As previously stated I just changed out the clutch friction plate, pressure plate, thrust bearing, had flywheel skimmed & pressed in new pilot spigot bearing. The components were 230 mm diameter, I remember when ordering I think the pre-99 clutch kits for classics were 225 mm dia. If I couldn't find a replacement 99 EJ205 engine & was to go down the route of swapping bottom end over from the older classic would it be possible for the purpose of getting the good of the new clutch to swap my original larger clutch & flywheel *** onto the 97 plate crankshaft? Cheers.