Search this Thread

Old 27 January 2015, 12:11 AM
Remigiusz Jankowski
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this exhaus OEM ? Bugeye WRX

Hi

Few days ago got my first Subaru. 2002 Bugeye WRX wagon

Slowly trying to get to know the car better as I haven't got any info from the previous owner except that he put on after market dump valve.

Does anyone can say if the WRX at the time came with such a back boxes ?

Old 27 January 2015, 12:44 AM
Scooby-Mark
Scooby Regular

Looks to me like it might be the box from the PPP (Prodrive Performance Pack)

Could be the car had the full kit added by the dealer too.

I believe there was a certificate given with the owners manual to state the car had been fitted with the PPP kit, Could be wrong though.

My WRX I had back in 2005 had twin pea shooter sized exhaust but was removed on the day of purchase

Last edited by Scooby-Mark; 27 January 2015 at 12:45 AM.
Old 27 January 2015, 09:42 AM
mozzerscoob
Scooby Regular

As above factory spec would have been a twin pea shooter exhaust. At some point you may have had a prodrive performance pack (PPP) fitted which is a subaru tuning partner in which case you will have a certificate and a sticker fitted to the inner b pillar post or someone has just fitted the back box to create the flat 4 burble. Other ways to identify if it has a PPP is check under the car to see if the link cat has been replaced for a de-catted one , the intercooler hose has been replaced with a blue silicone prodrive one and there is a prodrive sticker on the ecu. In my honest opinion you have the best exhaust back box fitted to your scooby by far , the fitment is perfect and creates a fantastic sound on boost but quiet on normal driving.
Welcome to the fold
Old 27 January 2015, 11:09 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

These are the PPP components you'll be looking for:

The exhaust you can see easily, the blue intercooler pipe just open the bonnet and look at the pipe underneath the intercooler you can see it peeking through here:

The standard pipe is just plain black plastic.

The decat/link pipe is underneath the car just around where the front seats are. It will have a sensor plugged into it and will be just a plain pipe. If you hop down and stick your camera fone under there and snap a pick you'll see the difference.

Not all dump valves are created equal, if you post a pic of what you have we can tell you if it's worth holding on to or better to swap out for a stock unit. The cheap and cheerful ones can cause driveability issues.

Another item you can check is if you have an uppipe cat still in place. The uppipe is the skinny pipe feeding into the turbo (comes up from underneath) you can see it if you stand to the drivers side of the engine and peek under the turbo. Again, camera fone may work well as a remote set of eyes her you're looking to see if the pipe feeding the turbo has a big fat section (where the cat might live) or if it has been repalced with a skinny pipe or an aftermarket pipe.

Stock on the left, an aftermarket style on the right:

and of course, welcome to scoobynet and "should've bought and STI" before someone else starts shouting it
Old 27 January 2015, 11:13 PM
Remigiusz Jankowski
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by bludgod
These are the PPP components you'll be looking for:

The exhaust you can see easily, the blue intercooler pipe just open the bonnet and look at the pipe underneath the intercooler you can see it peeking through here:

The standard pipe is just plain black plastic.

The decat/link pipe is underneath the car just around where the front seats are. It will have a sensor plugged into it and will be just a plain pipe. If you hop down and stick your camera fone under there and snap a pick you'll see the difference.

Not all dump valves are created equal, if you post a pic of what you have we can tell you if it's worth holding on to or better to swap out for a stock unit. The cheap and cheerful ones can cause driveability issues.

Another item you can check is if you have an uppipe cat still in place. The uppipe is the skinny pipe feeding into the turbo (comes up from underneath) you can see it if you stand to the drivers side of the engine and peek under the turbo. Again, camera fone may work well as a remote set of eyes her you're looking to see if the pipe feeding the turbo has a big fat section (where the cat might live) or if it has been repalced with a skinny pipe or an aftermarket pipe.

Stock on the left, an aftermarket style on the right:

and of course, welcome to scoobynet and "should've bought and STI" before someone else starts shouting it
Hi

Thanks for all the feedback. Just had a quick look and there is no other parts of PPP present so someone must have just put the back box on. Uppipe and down pipe are stock as well.

Regarding the dump valve its branded HKS so if genuine should be alright ?

Old 27 January 2015, 11:48 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

you can always check the guide to see if its a legit one:
https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...ial-guide.html

still if it's not leaking and dumping when it should then I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's the basic trumpet looking ones that give you most of the grief.

I would definitly recommend you get the uppipe cat out of the way even if your not planning on modding too much. Uppipe cat and fuel pump should be task #1, followed by a boost gauge and then move on to the fun stuff

The uppipe cat you can replace with one off a classic WRX or off an STI so get whichever you can lay your hands on and if your handy with the spanners fit yourself for ultimate savings!
Old 28 January 2015, 12:00 AM
Remigiusz Jankowski
Scooby Newbie

Mine is definitely fake judging from the guide.

The only thing I was planning to do is maybe a remap so should I think about fuel pump and uppipe beforehand ?

Yeah I did a lot of stuff on my Beemas so I guess Scoob shouldn't be harder than that.
Old 28 January 2015, 12:09 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

remap is handy enough, but the higher boost and leaner mixture will stress the cat and the pump even more.

Best plan of attack is - uppipe, boost gauge, fuel pump and then you can flash a stage 1 map. If you bin the stock downpipe cat (extra long crowbar will soon let it part ways from the rest of the exhaust) and the post cat doofer in the link pipe then you'll be good for a stage 2 flash around 280hp or so.

http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/uploads...ust-system.gif

part 1/part 2 in that pic.

The alternative is check out the 'bay for some of the exhaust deals. You can get crappy headers, crappy uppipe, crappy downpipe, crappy center pipe and crappy backbox for 200 quid sometimes. The gaskets will fail and the sound might be a little tinny for you but on a budget it will get the job done. Plus if you sell the noise cannon and leave the prodrive box on it should keep the sound a little nicer for you.
Old 31 January 2015, 11:08 PM
Remigiusz Jankowski
Scooby Newbie

Hi

I used the car for 5 days and it went a bit **** up but well 13 years old sports car.

There is fuel leak somewhere under the inlet. Might be one of the rubber hoses or injector o-ring and exhaust started to blow somewhere around the uppie. Picked up some spax lowering springs from Scooby Clinic in Chesterfield and bought a set of genuine exhaust gaskets to get this sorted.

I am just thinking since most of the exhaust system will be dismantled anyway is it not worth to install after market uppipe. Anyone can recommend one ? The prices vary from what I see on ebay so just want to make sure.

Since there is a precat in the uppipe does the swap causes any issues on MOT ??

Regards
Remi