Number of issues

Search this Thread

Old 13 January 2015, 03:22 PM
ScoobyLee2015
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Number of issues

Hi everyone

Just had a new clutch fitted to my 2000 Impreza 2.0 Turbo AWD.

Decided to get full service while it was in. Below is a list of the urgently required things that was on my service sheet and would appreciate any help or advice regarding if they are big expensive jobs or any help on DIY if any. I am not mechanically sound so any advice as to what they mean too.

OSR suspension miss aligned or bent
NSF CV Boot insecure
NSF caliper piston dust cover torn
OSF caliper slightly seized
Battery Insecure
Oil leak o/s driveshaft seal
Pollen Filter Missing
Both rear strut turrets holed and corroded

Another couple of things I am unsure about is NSR tyre wrong rotation teh guy in garage tried to explain this but was still unsure what this means. Also Front woring loom rubbing through. Where is this located and what can I do about it.

Any help appreciated

Lee
Old 13 January 2015, 03:37 PM
Filski
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

OSR suspension miss aligned or bent -

NSF CV Boot insecure - Can be relatively easy job provided that the boot is not torn and there is no crap that got into it - best case scenario get a mmetal cv boot tie and clamp it on, will need a tool for it and will cost you overal about 25 quid - Worst case scenario the boot was insecure for some time so all sort of crap/dust got into it then you will need to replace stuff more labour intense job but doable.

NSF caliper piston dust cover torn - either get recon calliper or get garage to recon the existing calipper, if you dont know what you doing best left for a garage to do can be costly but im sure some one will give a better response

OSF caliper slightly seized - may be the case of taking calliper of the disk and trying to unsieze it works sometime sometimes doesnt then it be as per above

Battery Insecure - get a strap - cheap

Oil leak o/s driveshaft seal - not hard if you know what you doing again this would be labour intensive job but can be diy, will need some tools to get the drive shaft out.

Pollen Filter Missing - do u suffer with hay fewer or alergic to polen then dont bother or buy one not super expensive

Both rear strut turrets holed and corroded - not super hard but can imagine being fiddly not sure how much the struts go for nowdays
Old 13 January 2015, 03:39 PM
Filski
Scooby Regular

the tire thing sounds like its basically the tire been fitted to the rim wrong way around
Old 13 January 2015, 05:26 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Both rear strut turrets holed and corroded - not super hard but can imagine being fiddly not sure how much the struts go for nowdays
I think you might have misunderstood this one Filski.

The turrets are the bits on the car body that the struts fit into. If they are rusted or holed, that's pretty serious and will need some expensive bodywork repairs to sort.
Old 13 January 2015, 06:39 PM
Filski
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
I think you might have misunderstood this one Filski.

The turrets are the bits on the car body that the struts fit into. If they are rusted or holed, that's pretty serious and will need some expensive bodywork repairs to sort.
Ahhh my bad i thought turrets as in the top part of the shock absorber, but in that case you are correct, welding needed and as that part is structural i would get it done by a competent welder
Old 14 January 2015, 01:35 PM
ScoobyLee2015
Scooby Newbie

if i have a leak on the driveshaft seal and also a cv boot insecure then am i not better off just replacing the driveshaft on both sides ??
Old 14 January 2015, 02:04 PM
kevo10
Scooby Regular

I assume as its the NSF cv thats faulty , then its the seal on the gearbox thats gone . The cv boot just needs greasing and tie wrapping onto the cv joint , assuming its not damaged. As to replacement of the shafts, this all depends on the overall condition of the units .
Old 14 January 2015, 03:34 PM
ScoobyLee2015
Scooby Newbie

yeah NSF. I suppuose of the units are ok i would just need the seal replaced on the gearbox part is seals expensive or is it more the labour of taking driveshafts out i take it this can be a hard job to do? sorry might seem silly question but i have no idea to mechanics of car lol i really should get to know these things lol
Old 14 January 2015, 03:42 PM
Filski
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyLee2015
yeah NSF. I suppuose of the units are ok i would just need the seal replaced on the gearbox part is seals expensive or is it more the labour of taking driveshafts out i take it this can be a hard job to do? sorry might seem silly question but i have no idea to mechanics of car lol i really should get to know these things lol
Seals are not expensive

Time to replace depends how corpses your nuts and bolts are

As for mechanical know how YouTube is your friend there are tons of how to vids to give u step by step, good luck
Old 14 January 2015, 03:56 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

To be honest thats a pretty large list of things which will cost a small fortune for a garage to fix... A lot of it can be DIY'd if you are a competant DIY mechanic and have the right tools.

The most serious thing there is the shock turrets. If they have holed through then underneath will be a whole world of rust, probably the entire inside of the rear quarters. It's very awkward to get to and welding it is a massive pain. Search on Impreza rusty rear arch repair and prepare for the horror.

My MY00 did not have a pollen filter from new... don't bother.

The tyre can be switched around by a tyre fitter for cheap.

The loom.... depends where? There is a lot of loom to a car. You need to know which bit of loom.

I would go for a pair of refurbed front calipers with stainless pistons then you know they are all good. While they are off do the seals on the front end.

Get the rear allignment checked and see if it can be fixed if not then replace whatever is bent.
Old 14 January 2015, 10:35 PM
ScoobyLee2015
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by FMJ

The most serious thing there is the shock turrets. If they have holed through then underneath will be a whole world of rust, probably the entire inside of the rear quarters. It's very awkward to get to and welding it is a massive pain. Search on Impreza rusty rear arch repair and prepare for the horror.
I dont understand why I would need a whole rear quarter and even if so I have read threads for £100 per side which sounds reasonable to me or am I mistaken?
Old 14 January 2015, 10:44 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

You might not but usually if it is entirely holed through then the inside if the quarter (which you cannot get to from the outside without cutting bodywork off) will be a land of rust. Just telling you what might be there it's all guess work via the forums.

Classic impreza rear arch areas are a common issue and if not caught early enough the whole area rots. Usually none of it can be seen for years until small bubbles appear on the arch outer.

£100 sounds cheap and I would have thought that would be for a simple weld of a bit of metal over a hole. A proper arch job will cost much more.

But it's all guessing.

Pics of rear arch issue which eventually happens to all classics unless treated.

https://www.scoobynet.com/885270-rear-wheel-arch-repair-section-rusty-arches-2.html

Last edited by FMJ; 14 January 2015 at 10:48 PM.
Old 14 January 2015, 11:09 PM
ScoobyLee2015
Scooby Newbie

Its just that the guys who done a full service were able to say that there is a problem with the rear turrets. When I have had a look up the rear arches i cant see anything but been told to remove all the carpets in the boot to check. would they have done this on the service? also what i dont understand is this would be an automatic fail on an MOT yet passed an MOT in August surely this problem would have started to arise well before thenm
Old 14 January 2015, 11:33 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

You won't see much in the boot or anywhere inside the car other then perhaps a bit of seem rust.
The only way you will see it is to remove the wheel and put your head in the arch with a torch. It's the outer most side which rusts through. Your fingers will probably go through it. Even then you won't see the most of it. If you pull the boot side linings out and shine a torch down in the section inside the rear arches with your head in the boot you will see some more. Like I said it's most hidden. Look at the pics I linked and you will see how it rusts and where. It won't fail MOT if they don't find it. For example sills can rust to failiure but pass mot as they are hidden by skirts.
Old 15 January 2015, 01:27 PM
ScoobyLee2015
Scooby Newbie

ok thanks will have a look cheers. when you say outerpart is this basically on wheel arch where the top corner of back bumper meets arch as this has rusted away and bumper hanging off slightly