Turbo 2000 UK Engine

Search this Thread

Old 01 January 2015, 10:25 PM
Hopley_WRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo 2000 UK Engine

Evening all,
I'm in the process of buying a uk turbo 2000 chassis, with no engine. Everything else is there, just no engine.
My question is, what engine, expect the uk turbo engine will fit straight in?

Any help is much appreciated.

P.S - Obv. i need to think about the ECU also.

Thank you :-)
Old 01 January 2015, 10:27 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Hi there, most classic engine should fit straight in, although wiring loom wouldn't be the same. I'm sure others will give you more info
Old 01 January 2015, 10:36 PM
Hopley_WRX
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the reply. The engine i put in needs to be compatible with the existing wiring loom, i really don't' fancy ripping that out :-/
Old 01 January 2015, 10:37 PM
BBB3
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What year uk turbo is it? As you will need the matching year engine to fit in as they are different and won't fit.
Old 01 January 2015, 10:42 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Any Impreza engine will fit.

Simple? Nope.

Basically the bottom ends are compatible across the board. So any bottom end should be fine. The issue comes with the heads as they dictate which inlet you can use. The inlet dictates which sensors you need which dictates which loom you need and then which ECU you need.

You MUST have a matching ECU, LOOM and Inlet with all correct sensors. When I say loom I don't just mean the little engine loom. I mean the entire internal loom. Then you have the issue that different years internal looms match different dashes/switch set-ups, door motors, rear lights etc. So ideally you loom must match your interior.

Also the MY99-00 cars have transponder security chips in the keys. These must match the transponder receiving on the ignition barrel. This will allow the ECU for that year car to work correctly. Use the wrong year and you may have headaches here too.

Don't get me wrong ANYTHING can be done with enough rewiring. But unless you are pretty expert at rewiring car looms keep it simple.

You don't say how much loom is still there? Is the engine loom gone?

Get the right heads, and inlet for the year car you have. Keep the standard ECU and use whatever bottom end you like. Also get the matching loom parts and sensors missing. Other things like the inlet tract will need to be matching to allow the correct MAF etc.

Don't make the mistake many doe of buying any engine and thinking it will just plug and play and then having to sell things again.
Old 01 January 2015, 11:26 PM
Hopley_WRX
Scooby Regular

Thanks FMJ. Your comments are much appreciated. I'm seeing the chassis on Saturday morning, so i will post a picture up of the chassis plate..... hopefully you could provide me with some more information then. :-)

Apparently the chassis is in mint condition.... so I'm quite interested to learn what i can do and where my restrictions are.
Old 02 January 2015, 12:05 AM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

It's not too hard. The more that is already there the better. Ideally if the loom and ECU are present that will help.

Worst case scenario you may need a short block of any year. A set of heads and engine loom and ecu for the correct model year. Which I am sure you will be able to get from breakers or ebay. It's just a case of making sure not to mix and match phases/model years.
Old 02 January 2015, 12:09 AM
Hopley_WRX
Scooby Regular

It's either that or I replace with another U.K. Turbo 2000 engine and start to mod. Obviously with the engine is on the stand I can easily do injectors, turbo, intercooler etc etc. I need to find out what ecu it is, to know about my mapping situation, hopefully whatever ecu it is I can get mapped.
Old 02 January 2015, 12:11 AM
Hopley_WRX
Scooby Regular

I'm only hunting for about 300... Which I believe would be a safe limit on the uk turbo gearbox.
Old 02 January 2015, 10:13 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

People have mapped theres to 300 using the existing turbo. But most don't hit that figure. Guy came on here and managed to get his to 300bhp on first map, on standard turbo.

Don't forget you will need esl to remap it aswell and your looking at £360 there plus remapping fee £300. Its a pricey game

Originally Posted by Hopley_WRX
I'm only hunting for about 300... Which I believe would be a safe limit on the uk turbo gearbox.
Old 02 January 2015, 10:55 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hopley_WRX
Yeah standard UK setup with a decat and remap (99-00 cars can be ecutek earlier cars need esl or different ecu) can get you about 270-280bhp. Add a better pump and a decent panel filter too. Again 99-00 come with 440cc injectors so the phase two/ v5 & 6 / 99-00 engine is the one to go for if you want a uk engine. Also they are the last ones made so will be that tiny bit fresher.

After that the TD04 turbo is a bit out of puff. But I believe a TD05 16G would suit you as they are cheap and with the required remap will get you your 300bhp easily. And yes the standard box will take 300bhp with around the same torque happily. Of course as long as you treat it nicely and you aren't unlucky and get a badly treated overly worn box.