Notices

Advice for transforming my car into a 400whp beast!

Search this Thread

Old 19 December 2014, 03:00 AM
Lovellm122
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice for transforming my car into a 400whp beast!

Newly acquired STi 02 Bugeye. The car is completely stock, un modified, with 80k on the clock. I have put together some what of a shopping list of mods and work I want doing to the car in order for it to be putting down about 400whp. I don't want the car to be unresponsive and overly laggy, but I'm still gonna aim for good top end power. This is not a daily driver, more of a Sunday day car ... This is my list of parts and mods. Any advice or criticism is welcome. Am I on the right path? Are other options better? Am I missing something? is this aload of rubbish? Thanks:

2.1 stroker by engine tuner (or possibly 2.29 stroker kit from Brian crower)
Custom cold air intake
Full decat turbo back 3"
Tubular exhaust headers and flow matched Up-pipe
Blouch turbo dominator 1.5xtr
Fuel injectors 1000cc
Fuel pump Walbro 255
Boost solenoid
Boost gauge
Tgv deletes
External wastegate
AOS
NGK PFR 7B Spark plugs
Front and rear sway bars
D spec struts
Rce springs
Short shifter
Old 19 December 2014, 03:44 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there

I wouldn't go with forged engine at moment,you shouldn't need at this level

Yours engine should handle 400-450bhp and bit more without the issue if engine has been maintained properly and serviced properly

Cold air intake,I wouldn't use,please have look on good RCM induction kit,those kits has been proven on numerous cars

Yes full decat exhaust you will need,I would go down the route of the Revolution Exhaust,we run same exhaust on our wagon at 555.5bhp

Tubular headers shouldn't be needed,but yes they will help,please have look on GT Spec or RCM headers and flow matched up pipe,please speak with Alyn@AS Performance,he selling and making Harvey Trick Up pipe

Blouch Dominator 1.5XT-R will not make 400WHP on V-power alone,this turbo is rated at 400bhp I would say,please speak with Enginetuner about his turbo or Scoobyclinic about their range(SC42+ or SC42 will be perfect for yours needs) or Lateral performance about their MDX321T

Injectors such high,you shouldn't need,you should be OK with 650cc or 750cc injectors,as above please speak with Enginetuner or other suppliers like Zen Performance or Lateral performance

Fuel pump yes that's for sure,please have look on the HRC 340LPH or 300LPH,those pumps we run on our wagon without the issue

Boost solenoid,you shouldn't need as you have already I think 3port on STI,but maybe I'm wrong

TGV deletes you don't need,yours car already is equipped with TGV deletes as every STI,only WRX has come with TGV

External Wastegate,you don't need,most of the above mentioned turbos are internally gated,external wastegate I would run only if you don't want to use internal wastegate

AOS that's good idea,but you can source cheap and good oil catch can which should be much cheaper to do and fit one

Yes PFR7B are mostly used on those spec,depends on fuel used,but yes they should be OK

Front and rear sway bars(ARB),I would have look on Eibach combo,we run this on our wagon and they can be bought for £250 for pair(Front and rear)

D Spec struts I wouldn't touch,they're rock hard and if coilovers are needed then BC should be OK for yours needs,if comfort is what are you looking and adjustability then KYB AGX or Tokico,KW etc

About the engine build,really depends,yes 2.1L will be awesome with above turbo and should help to spool better than 2.0L,but still think you should have reasonable spool on 2.0L

Brian Crower stroker kit I wouldn't use,rather nicely spec'd 2.1L from Paul Finch,Slowboy racing or Enginetuner etc like BC stroker kit

Hope this help and welcome to Scoobynet

Thanks,Jura
Old 19 December 2014, 08:44 PM
Lovellm122
Scooby Newbie

Brilliant advice. I'll take on board everything you have said.

I believed the Dominator 1.5xtr was rated to 480hp at the crank; i might be wrong on this. Will deffo look into the alternatives you listed though. It's just blouch is the only manufacturer i really have knowledge about in regard to turbos. I just wanted to go with a turbo that would just about meet my WHP requirements and would still spool (fairly) quick.

I was under the impression that this model had partial TGV deletes, not fully so to speak. But again my knowledge and understanding on this is basic and you will know much better than I.

The external wastegate would be needed on the blouch turbo; but like you said the turbos you listed are internal so would not be needed if i went that way.

I like the idea of an AOS; and it does seem cooler than a catch can. But will the price justify the difference, not sure right now.

The D Spec struts were an idea i got from talking to some yanks. They all seem to run them on their WRX's. I'm not even that sure they are compatible with this model STi. Will defo be looking at the routes you suggested.

Ah yeah, the stroker kit This just looks and sounds awesome. I really like the idea of this. Will defo be going down this route. The BC stroker is just a side thought tbh, I like the idea of that displacement but I don't really trust it. Plus its far more expensive, i think, than other manufacturers.

Thank you for brilliant advice. Very helpful.
Old 19 December 2014, 09:01 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lovellm122
Brilliant advice. I'll take on board everything you have said.

I believed the Dominator 1.5xtr was rated to 480hp at the crank; i might be wrong on this. Will deffo look into the alternatives you listed though. It's just blouch is the only manufacturer i really have knowledge about in regard to turbos. I just wanted to go with a turbo that would just about meet my WHP requirements and would still spool (fairly) quick.

I was under the impression that this model had partial TGV deletes, not fully so to speak. But again my knowledge and understanding on this is basic and you will know much better than I.

The external wastegate would be needed on the blouch turbo; but like you said the turbos you listed are internal so would not be needed if i went that way.

I like the idea of an AOS; and it does seem cooler than a catch can. But will the price justify the difference, not sure right now.

The D Spec struts were an idea i got from talking to some yanks. They all seem to run them on their WRX's. I'm not even that sure they are compatible with this model STi. Will defo be looking at the routes you suggested.

Ah yeah, the stroker kit This just looks and sounds awesome. I really like the idea of this. Will defo be going down this route. The BC stroker is just a side thought tbh, I like the idea of that displacement but I don't really trust it. Plus its far more expensive, i think, than other manufacturers.

Thank you for brilliant advice. Very helpful.

Hi there

You know,when you buy turbo from US you will end up with higher price in the end,because you will be paying as extra for import charges etc.Blouch billet turbo has been developed together by Blouch and Scoobyclinic,just difference is,US Blouch using on their turbo 8cm or 10cm exhaust housing and UK SC using 7cm exhaust housing.Smaller housing means better spool up and bigger housing means turbo will have better top end,with slower spool up

No UK STI doesn't have TGV deletes what I know,US STI has been equipped with TGV,due this I wouldn't bother with TGV deletes

No Blouch XT-R range doesn't need to run External wastegate,this turbo is already gated internally as you can see per this picture

D Spec struts are mostly used in US,yes on this agree,but over here you can find good and suitable solutions like BC BR or Tokico(those are US based,but can be bought over in UK)

Really what I would recommend speak with tuners over here like Enginetuner,Scoobyclinic and many others,US tuners are OK,but they're in US and if you are in UK,then is bit problem

Thanks,Jura
Old 21 December 2014, 08:36 PM
Apostle
Scooby Regular

I used the Dominator 2.5XTR WITH Grimmspeed tmi. A brilliant combination for the road 474 / 454 @1.7 bar in a 2.35. Bigger would be better for you.
Whilst in the USA I spoke with the people at Blouch and decided on the 8cm hot side - their was talk of a new cast 7.5cm unit here in the UK (but it was just talk then).
SC tag Blouch turbos for the UK market but I think Blouch would laugh to think they are developing turbos together... Also when ET fitted mine - it was noted that it was slightly different to the many SC46's they had done - a bit of grinding & bending oil feeds to fit.
And... I saved around £350 getting it sent from USA. I thought worth it.
Last point, my experiences were roughly 2yrs ago and turbo development I presume is still coming on leaps and bounds.

P.S. Juras advice is excellent always

Last edited by Apostle; 21 December 2014 at 08:39 PM.