Notices

Advice please, gearbox and future modifications

Search this Thread

Old 09 December 2014, 05:25 PM
Tommys88
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice please, gearbox and future modifications

Hi, sorry if many of these questions have been covered before, had a quick search but couldn't really find anything specific.
Basically I'm having an engine replacement in my uk2000. Newage sti block (v8) with avcs, td05 20g, decat, warlbro, FMIC, decat etc... At the moment I'm asking for it to be mapped a little under potential so the standard 5 speed doesn't s*** itself as soon as I hit boost. I'm considering a 6 speed conversion in the new year but just wondering if this is my best option, the car will pretty much always be used as a b-road weapon, won't see too many miles, so want a good fast road setup and something that'll work nicely with the 20g. MPG and 0-60 aren't important, it's more about drivability + strength/reliability.

Next up will be looking at suspension/chassis, as well as brakes. I'm fitting front brembo's with good pads and disks, have prodrive rears, is it worth replacing the rears with brembos as well or will these suffice?
Are arb's, struts, alk, drop links etc worth having, if so what would best suit my needs?
Next up springs shocks, uprate or go for coilovers? Any good suggestions? Currently standard with prodrive springs.

Sorry to go on and on but so many ideas going on and just need some clarification on what I will actually need, ad don't want to make the car un bare able by going overkill!
Old 09 December 2014, 07:09 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You are going to have to have it mapped quite a bit under potential to save that five speed...

Options for what you want are constant five speed replacement, six speed or a gearset for the five speed. Both expensive but that's that.

Suspension if you are worried about it being unbearable I wouldn't go coilovers. If you want it hardcore and hard as **** for ultimate handling on the track go for it. If you want a drive-able car on UK roads that won't annoy you go for a decent spring and damper setup.

Brakes generally the bigger the better really. Depends what they are for? On the road with a little bit or quick driving you are not going to need the same setup you need for a whole track day of heavy braking.
Old 09 December 2014, 08:45 PM
300gnspitzer
Scooby Regular

I've got mine for track use only now so I've changed lots of stuff, but in the beginning I found the best value for money and the most improvement for very little work was stiffer arbs and a proper geo. set up.
Old 10 December 2014, 07:19 AM
Tommys88
Scooby Regular

Fair enough, the decision regarding gearbox is do I go either upgraded 5 speed or 6 speed, which do you guys feel would be more suitable, I'm assuming 6 speed as I'll be in boost more often and will probably be better on road, but I'll happily be told I'm wrong..

So will I see much benefit from switching rear brakes to the brembo's or will what I already have be up to the job?

I was thinking that as the gearbox goes in I would also go for lightweight fly, arb's (undecided on size) and possibly anti lift and drop links.. Again unsure how far to go and never experienced them before so it's hard for me to know where to stop.

As for good springs and shocks, do you guys have any good suggestions, kyb and eibach? Or are there many superior alternatives that aren't going to cost a fortune?

I just want to allow my car to handle the grunt as well as possible without being too compromising, I'm assuming I'll be knocking on for 400ish hp and torque won't be a million miles off
Old 10 December 2014, 09:30 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

20g meh, lag monster so will take some of the load off the gearbox,,, lol

all joking aside i'd speak to one of the tuners who run race cars and see what they say, wrong ratio's will ruin the car

as far as suspension then maybe tien superstreet? failing that, kyb agx and eibachs get my vote
Old 10 December 2014, 05:05 PM
Tommys88
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
20g meh, lag monster so will take some of the load off the gearbox,,, lol

all joking aside i'd speak to one of the tuners who run race cars and see what they say, wrong ratio's will ruin the car

as far as suspension then maybe tien superstreet? failing that, kyb agx and eibachs get my vote
Fair enough mate, I'll have a word with my mapper and see what he suggests when he does the tune, as for the 20g, if I had have bought a turbo myself it probably wouldn't be my first choice, but it came with the car and will more than suffice until I finish the block swap, sort brakes and suspension and get saving to eventually forge and swap turbo a few years down the line, in hoping avcs will help drive ability with it. Looking forward to getting back in it and seeing how she runs, hoping for great things!
Old 13 December 2014, 08:42 PM
ClintUK
Scooby Regular

Suspension (my 97 UK turbo)

Adjustable ARBs front & back. Anti lift kit / Castor kit at front and Camber bolts at back with Whiteline geometry set up is a brilliant option and not too expensive. At Brands I found Lotuses in the way on corners

New springs and adjustable shocks next.

Coil overs I have no experience but much more than above

Brakes, standard 4 pots with Pagid 4 2 "Blue" pads brilliant - I don't see need to spend big bucks on Brembos