Notices

Changing bushes on ally arms.. Garage job or DIY

Search this Thread

Old 01 December 2014, 10:40 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing bushes on ally arms.. Garage job or DIY

I'm going to get a set of black series bushes for my ally arms I'm refurbing, I understand the bushes have to be pressed in and out.

Is this job doable with the bearing puller type tools, or will it require a bench press ( garage)
Old 01 December 2014, 11:54 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cookstar
I'm going to get a set of black series bushes for my ally arms I'm refurbing, I understand the bushes have to be pressed in and out.

Is this job doable with the bearing puller type tools, or will it require a bench press ( garage)
Just done two sets.... Only done the front bush so far. I used gear puller to push the center crush tube out. But had to heat it with a blow torch first to break the rubber seal that held onto it.

Then I used a blow torch and chisels to take out the next semi circle metal parts. Then I used a hacksaw to cut the outer most tube trying not to cut into the alloy arm. Once I had cut a chanel out of that last tube I used a BIG hammer and BIG chisel to smash the absolute **** out of it until it finally came out.

Not something I ever want to do again.

I would take them to a garage and hopefully they can press them out. But saying that the last steel pair I wanted pressed the press wouldn't budge them. They had to be burnt out with welding torch! Not sure you could do this with alloy ones without melting them.

All in all one of my least favorite jobs having done a whole suspension set twice.
Old 02 December 2014, 07:10 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cookstar

Where you getting your bushes from and how much are they mate, I'm going to be doing this soon.