Blob oil consumption and smoke problem

Search this Thread

Old 04 November 2014, 10:25 AM
Bogi25
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blob oil consumption and smoke problem

Hi,
I have problem with my Blob 2005 with Power Prodrive Pack. No modification apart from Bailey BOV and K&N panel air filter.
For the last couple weeks I found she eats lot of oil. I looked around engine to find a leak but I haven't found any. What I found that she throws lot of smoke when revs up. I thought it is head gasket but she doesn't consume coolant. I have no oil in coolant or coolant in oil. There is no smoke from dipstick. I removed intercooler and I found that Y pipe is full of oil, completely black and cover in oil. I took couple pictures where you can see Y pipe and smoke.
Do you know what it can be? Head gasket, turbo... Any advice? Thanks.

Last edited by Bogi25; 14 January 2015 at 10:36 AM.
Old 04 November 2014, 10:34 AM
wms-racing
Former Sponsor

Piston or turbo issue most likely. Have a look in the breather pipes from the block/heads and try taking the oil filler cap off and check for smoke and back pressure from the bottom end, that would indicate piston/ring problem. To check the turbo it's best to remove the down pipe and check for oil in the exhaust housing and play in the bearings.
Headgasket will cause overheating first, not blue smoke.
Old 05 November 2014, 04:13 PM
Bogi25
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by wms-racing
Have a look in the breather pipes from the block/heads and try taking the oil filler cap off and check for smoke and back pressure from the bottom end, that would indicate piston/ring problem.
I took oil filler cap off and didn't notice any smoke. I will check turbo on weekend.
I checked some pipes, I marked them red on picture.

They are fine for me, only on one end I found just little oil marks. Compare to what I found in Y pipe it's nothing.
I'm not sure if I should check other pipes if yes could you mark them on picture or put some picture where I can see which I have to check please. I don't know how can I check back pressure from the bottom end?
Would be great if you could describe how to do it.
Thanks.
Old 06 November 2014, 10:10 AM
wms-racing
Former Sponsor

The first thing I would do is take it for a blast and then remove the plugs (when its cooled down a bit). If you have a cylinder passing oil you should find 1 oily plug, I would then do a compression test, although this doesn't always show the failure as they can still hold compression. If that doesn't show anything obvious, check the turbo, the usual signs are excessive play in the shaft and oil in the exhaust housing.