Notices

Bosch 044 fuel pump problem

Search this Thread

Old 29 October 2014, 08:24 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bosch 044 fuel pump problem

Hi all, I have an underbonnet swirl pot with an 044 pump on my classic. Recently Simon noticed at a mapping session that the pressure bled away very quickly after priming, & every time the key is turned it primes again even if done several times quickly in succession. I'm sure it wasn't like it before, but does anyone else's set up behave like this?
Thanks, Richard.
Old 29 October 2014, 09:50 PM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

mine looses pressure quite quickly once the engine is turned off, like 50% of pressure within 20-30 seconds. I only use the system for track now and switch the pipes over to oem and pull the in-line fuse. It's quite noticable how well the oem sytem holds pressure by comparison, I have an in car pressure gauge and it holds up for hours. I just put it down to losing pressure via the swirlpot running back to the return line to tank.
It always primes when I switch the key but pressure is never a worry, so much so I have to turn the FPR up when disconnecting the bosch and running from the tank only which is an RCM 340.
Trev
Old 29 October 2014, 10:39 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trevsjwood
mine looses pressure quite quickly once the engine is turned off, like 50% of pressure within 20-30 seconds. I only use the system for track now and switch the pipes over to oem and pull the in-line fuse. It's quite noticable how well the oem sytem holds pressure by comparison, I have an in car pressure gauge and it holds up for hours. I just put it down to losing pressure via the swirlpot running back to the return line to tank.
It always primes when I switch the key but pressure is never a worry, so much so I have to turn the FPR up when disconnecting the bosch and running from the tank only which is an RCM 340.
Trev
Hi Trev, thanks for the reply. What is worrying about mine is that if I turn the ign on it primes up to 2.8 then drops like a stone to zero in about a second. When running pressure is fine, Simon has suggested I strip the regulator which I will soon, but I'm just after input from anyone using this set up. I'm sure it wasn't like this when it was first fitted.
Old 30 October 2014, 12:04 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Richard

Yes on our is the same like on Subaru has been and like now on EP3(we are running too under bonnet 1.5L swirl pot),but I think this much worse on the EP3,there pressure really drops quicker,but on Subaru we are have swirl pot at back close to the tank

Thanks,Jura
Old 30 October 2014, 12:09 AM
TimH
Orange Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rings a bell...when an 044 is fitted the one-way valve is often omitted as it can be a restriction to flow so I think that can cause the rapid pressure drop.

I also have an engine-bay mounted swirl pot with an 044, and the pressure does drop off very quickly.