Notices

WRX Impreza sump

Search this Thread

Old 27 October 2014, 03:35 PM
ven
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default WRX Impreza sump

After a call to Subaru who have done every single service from new(1 owner) and found out plugs/oils/pretty much everything done the nice guy told me there was an investigation into an oil leak.

All that was on the computer was it was traced to the sump...........so i can presume its a gasket for now.

It passed its MOT back in Aug along with the service etc so its not a fail,no traces of oil dripping on floor(i know it could catch on the tray but it will run off eventually if bad).

So what kind of work is involved,if its an engine out please dont post

I now and then get an odd oil/burn smell,nothing extreme but its there so it could be the rocker cover gasket leaking maybe onto zaust(is this possible as its got to be dripping/weeping slightly on the zaust).
I presume they are called rocker covers(please correct me on that if different name) and can see a slight wetness on the passenger from front(n/s). Or could the sump leak cause this??? as he never mentioned other leaks??? Please bare with me as learning the car and love it

Thanks in advance for any tips,big job......little job......easier just to do over a pit or on a ramp(i know a very good garage if case maybe).

I am capable doing work,just 2 young ones swinging off me,lack of time does prevent any longer taking jobs(only being honest)

Cheers ven
Old 27 October 2014, 05:25 PM
Cpt Jack Sparrow
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see you are presuming Gasket.

In my pile of reciepts I have for mine one of them is for a complete replacement sump. reason being the one on the car was diagnosed as pourous.....

I would presume that would also lead to oil leaks showing on the floor. Looks like the previous owner paid a fair whack for the work replacing it.....
Old 27 October 2014, 05:26 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The sump generally doesn't have a gasket. It is sealed with sealent. You can add a cork gasket but not there as standard. It is not uncommon for sumps to rust through letting oil seap through the metal. Mine did this and had to be replaced. If it's the sealant (unusual) or the sump itself the the sump has to be removed. This is not an engine out job but it's not a nice easy job either. You need to get on some ramps with the bottom tray off and find the source of the leak. If you wanna see how sump replacement goes do a few google searches and you will find threads with pics.

Parts cost for this is actually very cheap at about £60 for a new genuine sump!

Last edited by FMJ; 27 October 2014 at 05:27 PM.
Old 27 October 2014, 05:27 PM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can get the sump off without removing the engine. It's a bit fiddly and not something I would want to undertake with just a jack and stands.
Old 27 October 2014, 05:29 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You can.... Buts it's difficult! Even harder getting a new one back on and sealed correctly. I had to undo the engine mounts and jack the engine up a bit. Still massively fidley.
Old 27 October 2014, 05:45 PM
ven
Scooby Regular

Thank you all so much for the info and replies,yes i can only assume/presumptions and the Subaru service chap only said " there is a note to investigate an oil leak,this was traced to the sump" no other info was mentioned to me.

Its been in Subarus hands from new,until August just gone so i(presume again) there would have been an advisement on changing sump and noted to cover themselves if work would not have been carried out. Again i can only presume and thats no good i admit,soon as i get chance i will have to get it over a pit local for a look. I do think its a bit much for an "on the drive" kind of job.

Thank you,i will follow this on with outcome when i get chance to look into it

Its all a learning curve for me,so appreciate all advise and time and hope i will be able to give back myself one day. I soon pick things up,have a pretty good tec head,just new completely to these motors and its been pretty much instant choice/buy due to lots of personal circumstances (break downs to car crashes same day to hospitals.......i could go on for a long post but too much digression........

Again thank you all it means a lot to me right now
Old 27 October 2014, 05:49 PM
ven
Scooby Regular

Sorry to add just in case!

I am not getting any oil on the floor,no evidence in anyway from parking up( I have a built in oil check when reversing mode in my brain ) so always on the look out and on my drive its easy to spot if i had a leak(hope makes sense)

Thank you ven