Notices

classic turbo engine into non turbo hawkeye

Search this Thread

Old 16 October 2014, 10:01 PM
landyhawkeye
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default classic turbo engine into non turbo hawkeye

hi guys , been floating around as a guest for a while but finally have had chance to register , would like to get some advice

I own a 2006 hawkeye sport , 2.0L quadcam

ITS 179 bhp apparently but needs more of a kick , this car has a sentimental attachment so I have no intention of selling or buying another , I was wondering what it would be like to fit a turbo lump from a classic impreza? if it just bolts in is it just the wiring to contend with ? I know and used to work with a brilliant sparkie who could probably wire it up for me at a cost , my main question is which would be the best donor car? new age are mentally expencive ! also how are the clocks run? from the ecu ? that would be the fun bit is getting the clocks ect to run?

thanks
Old 16 October 2014, 10:24 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Sounds like alot of hastle bud, be easier to buy a turbo and swap any parts on yours you wish to keep over. As you would need to uprate the brakes, suspension etc

Although this would mean you got a more reliable engine 2.0 instead of the 2.5 hawkeye. I'd recommend an sti classic engine, that would be the cheapest option, but not sure if it will fit straight in
Old 16 October 2014, 10:29 PM
landyhawkeye
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by jaygsi
Sounds like alot of hastle bud, be easier to buy a turbo and swap any parts on yours you wish to keep over. As you would need to uprate the brakes, suspension etc

Although this would mean you got a more reliable engine 2.0 instead of the 2.5 hawkeye. I'd recommend an sti classic engine, that would be the cheapest option, but not sure if it will fit straight in
that's the thing , im really attached to this particular car , cost is a factor but there is some in the budget to play with , she does have some brake upgrades at the moment , its one that's to be done in stages engine in and running, then later date gearbox,diffs ect ... the first part is just to get her in and running as she cant go off the road too long , my second car is a land rover defender V8 and its thirsty ! as classic engines seem to be cheaper and plentifull that's the route I intend to take , does anyone have any more info on this? cheers
Old 16 October 2014, 10:32 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

This thread might help

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...a-classic.html
Old 16 October 2014, 10:36 PM
landyhawkeye
Scooby Newbie

thanks for the link , I cant imagine my car has avcs as its currently a non turbo model , that's another reason I was thinking classic? a few less bits to give me a headache over?cheers
Old 17 October 2014, 08:33 AM
Rick2014
Scooby Regular

Get the engine from your era of car and the other turbo bits,Engine bay loom,ecu,turbo,intercooler and so on.There is plenty of bits floating round and some cheap bargains to be had
Old 17 October 2014, 01:12 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You do realise that you may find you have to change:

Entire engine
Ancillaries (Starter, alternator, PS pump etc)
Entire car wiring loom meaning complete removal of the interior
All drive train including gearbox, drive shafts etc
Exhaust system
Ecu

Trying to get a classic engine into one is a nightmare because a classic engine needs a classic loom and ECU. Then you classic loom will not fit to any of your dash or other electrical parts. So you would need to rewire the car to make the old loom work with the new electrics.

Fitting a turbo engine from the same year would hopefully mean the loom would work with the dash etc but you will still basically need a turbo donor car.

Trust me it isn't an engine swap and a bit of wiring. It can be done but at huge cost and hassle. And the car will be off the road for quite some time. Also the insurance will be crazy. If you don't tell them then you won't be insured. It will also ruin the cars value.