Notices

WRX & STi Mechanical Differences

Search this Thread

Old 14 October 2014, 05:23 PM
Brothers Grin
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX & STi Mechanical Differences

Guys, looking for my first Scooby and will have a maximum of 5k to spend. I really want an STi but not sure if my 5k will get me one. I have seen some nice WRX's but really not sure what the mechanical differences are between the two, so, if anybody can help me out with that it will be much appreciated.

Thanks chaps
Old 14 October 2014, 05:26 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What are your plans for the car and what will it be used for?
Old 14 October 2014, 07:02 PM
Brothers Grin
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
What are your plans for the car and what will it be used for?
Some mild tuning to around 320bhp and it will be used on the road with the occasional track day, say 3 to 4 per year.

My main question is does the STi have any adjustability on the Diff that the WRX doesn't?

Last edited by Brothers Grin; 14 October 2014 at 07:03 PM.
Old 15 October 2014, 12:14 AM
XDevil666
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brothers Grin
Some mild tuning to around 320bhp and it will be used on the road with the occasional track day, say 3 to 4 per year.

My main question is does the STi have any adjustability on the Diff that the WRX doesn't?
im guessing your talking about a newage?

i dont believe you can adjust the diff on the WRX at all, i could be wrong though?

as far as i know the STI vs WRX is:

Brakes
Spoiler
Gear box
Intercooler size
Turbo
Exaust Cats
MPG clock
Adjustable Diff

Can i ask why you want to adjust the diff?
Old 15 October 2014, 12:24 AM
JayUK91
Scooby Regular

What's the rush? if you want an STi just wait a few months and save a bit more cash. If you truly want an STi don't 'settle' on a WRX, you'll probably regret it when you end up spending more to match the STi spec.
Old 15 October 2014, 07:47 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

In that case you want an STI, better brakes, stronger engine and gearbox as well as stiffer suspension, but even they have their problems in the price / age bracket you'll be looking at.

Only the WR1, 05 STI's, and JDM's have adjustable diff's in the Newage cars but they are well over your budget.

You should be able to get a pretty decent Classic with dccd (which is what the adjustable diff is called) for your £5k, just depends if you can live with one on a day to day basis as they are quite raw and knocking on a bit these days.

Or you could do what I do which is track days, sprints and more recently the drag strip in a well maintained WRX and just be sensible about it.

Any car you take to the track can have problems whether it be an STI, WRX, full on track weapon or your mums Fiesta, so I would be more inclined to go for a well maintained enthusiast owned car above all else, because as mentioned above STI's have their fair share of problems at this age/price.

It doesn't matter what you drive, there will always be someone with a better faster car or just plain old better driver than you, the important thing is that you take part and have a good time.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 15 October 2014 at 07:49 AM.
Old 15 October 2014, 07:56 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

I was once told that around 80% of mechanical parts are different on the Newage STI to WRX.

If you fall into the VERY common trap of buying a WRX and modding it to be an STI you very quickly realise there's truth in it.

I'd never buy a newage WRX again purely due to how many gearboxes I went through.
Old 15 October 2014, 08:00 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

This video wont tell you all the differences but you will get the drift by the end of it.SJ.
Old 15 October 2014, 08:06 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Well I have had the full on caged track / sprint toy ish and all it did was cost me **** loads of cash and keep breaking, now I just have what is generally considered to be the worst poverty spec model (WRX Wagon PPP) and it just keeps plodding on doing what it says on the tin, and keeps me at the front of the "also ran" middle of the pack costing peanuts and running on a set of snow tyres with full trim, spare tyre and 12" sub in the boot.

Go figure.
Old 15 October 2014, 08:22 AM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stonejedi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foazJbCdOnU
This video wont tell you all the differences but you will get the drift by the end of it.SJ.
After seeing this video anyone with performance in mind who still buys a s/h WRX should have their head examined! OP be patient, save another £2k and buy a decent Sti
Old 15 October 2014, 11:41 AM
Brothers Grin
Scooby Newbie

Massive thanks to everybody. Still haven't made up me mind but everything is much clearer. One thing is for sure I won't be rushing into anything decision wise but as reliability is important it will probs be STi.

Massive thanks chaps.
Old 15 October 2014, 02:08 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paben
After seeing this video anyone with performance in mind who still buys a s/h WRX should have their head examined! OP be patient, save another £2k and buy a decent Sti
Not really, we're talking 10+ year old cars now with probably somewhere in the region of 80k on the clock, better / stronger parts still break and wear out things like below.
Knocking shocks.
Gear box syncro's.
wheel bearings.
Tired turbo's.
Brembo's needing helicoiling.
Cambelt change.
Clutch.
All add up to an awful lot of money if you buy an STI that's not had that lot sorted for £6/6.5k you'll be looking at the thick end of £3k maybe more once you factor in tyres, brake discs and pads.

It's all well and good everyone shouting STI, STI but sweet well cared for ones with everything up to date and a decent set of tyres don't come by everyday for sub £7k and when they do all that glitters is not gold, you only have to look at what Powerwrx has been through the past few months trying to find one.

I have said it before, The gap between the STI and WRX isn't what it once was now that the cars we're talking about are 10 + years old with many owners and plenty of thrashing under their belts, If you want a corker of an STI these days you need to be going shopping with £10k in your pocket.

This lad has £5k.
Old 15 October 2014, 02:13 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not really, we're talking 10+ year old cars now with probably somewhere in the region of 80k on the clock, better / stronger parts still break and wear out things like below.
Knocking shocks.
Gear box syncro's.
wheel bearings.
Tired turbo's.
Brembo's needing helicoiling.
Cambelt change.
Clutch.
All add up to an awful lot of money if you buy an STI that's not had that lot sorted for £6/6.5k you'll be looking at the thick end of £3k maybe more once you factor in tyres, brake discs and pads.

It's all well and good everyone shouting STI, STI but sweet well cared for ones with everything up to date and a decent set of tyres don't come by everyday for sub £7k and when they do all that glitters is not gold, you only have to look at what Powerwrx has been through the past few months trying to find one.

I have said it before, The gap between the STI and WRX isn't what it once was now that the cars we're talking about are 10 + years old with many owners and plenty of thrashing under their belts, If you want a corker of an STI these days you need to be going shopping with £10k in your pocket.

This lad has £5k.
spot on, a 5k sti will be ****.
in recent years I've had to replace brakes cam belts clutch wheel bearings etc and its costly.
Old 15 October 2014, 02:20 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Maybe he should be looking at a nice classic for example a Type-R,P1 etc...5k in newage terms is WRX money but could get you a very nice classic STI.SJ.
Old 15 October 2014, 02:24 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

But saying that i would try to be patient and save a few more pound note's as you are only around 2/3K short of a very nice Subaru.SJ.
Old 15 October 2014, 02:33 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

If you're going to tune it and then track it don't waste your money on a WRX that will cost you twice as much to get to STI standard in the long run. Go for an STI now. Save the extra cash it's well worth it for a much more solid track and tune friendly car!

Good luck!

p.s. Trust me, I own a modified WRX.
Old 15 October 2014, 02:50 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

keep it standard... that's my plan
Old 15 October 2014, 03:18 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

I honestly don't think it matters so much anymore, they're all old tired cars and a **** load of stuff is going to need replacing / repairing, gearbox and engine included.

The only way to avoid that is get £10+K out for an absolute minter with very low milage or import one from Japan which will still cost the same anyway.

Mine is on 111k now and will be wanting a gearbox and engine refresh or new at some point if I am to keep it, as well as most of the stuff in the list above, it's worth maybe £3k on a good day yet I was launching it on the drag strip on saturday night, as and when stuff breaks or wears out I just up rate it, over the last 3yrs it's cost around £700 in consumables, tyres and oil changes mostly along with some Pro Flex bushes.

It will be doing it's second sprint shortly and recently went to the Ring, so as long as it keeps doing that I am quids in with £7k to spend as and when to make it like new, If I were to spend £2.5k on a built engine and £2k on a refreshed 6 speed I am still £2.5k to the good with a new engine and box in my car, so plenty left over for things like turbo, injectors, mapping and suspension.

In my head it's really not so cut and dried anymore, unless you like blue seats, big spoilers and pink badges.
Old 15 October 2014, 03:21 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fat-thomas
keep it standard... that's my plan
shut up.

I notice your getting a bit older and wiser, starting to agree with me.
Old 15 October 2014, 03:59 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Break both buy one
Old 15 October 2014, 04:31 PM
Paben
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I honestly don't think it matters so much anymore, they're all old tired cars and a **** load of stuff is going to need replacing / repairing, gearbox and engine included.

The only way to avoid that is get £10+K out for an absolute minter with very low milage or import one from Japan which will still cost the same anyway.

Mine is on 111k now and will be wanting a gearbox and engine refresh or new at some point if I am to keep it, as well as most of the stuff in the list above, it's worth maybe £3k on a good day yet I was launching it on the drag strip on saturday night, as and when stuff breaks or wears out I just up rate it, over the last 3yrs it's cost around £700 in consumables, tyres and oil changes mostly along with some Pro Flex bushes.

It will be doing it's second sprint shortly and recently went to the Ring, so as long as it keeps doing that I am quids in with £7k to spend as and when to make it like new, If I were to spend £2.5k on a built engine and £2k on a refreshed 6 speed I am still £2.5k to the good with a new engine and box in my car, so plenty left over for things like turbo, injectors, mapping and suspension.

In my head it's really not so cut and dried anymore, unless you like blue seats, big spoilers and pink badges.

So the OP's choice is to buy a knackered worn out Sti and replace the parts or buy a knackered worn out WRX and replace the parts! Having done that with a WRX all he will have is a WRX and still be well short of what the Sti has to offer.

Watch that video for all the very many reasons to buy an Sti, and there are good ones out there for £7k that are not complete wrecks, although you can easily buy a wreck if you don't keep your wits about you. But that applies to any car of course.
Old 15 October 2014, 05:05 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

shut up.

I notice your getting a bit older and wiser, starting to agree with me.
your correct on the servicable items being ten years old ish and for 5k a newage sti isnt really a good option.

the car is the start of the costs,running and maintaining it the other.
it cant really be done on the cheap sadly.
Old 15 October 2014, 05:40 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

I'd still take a knackered old STI over a nice clean WRX all day everyday
Old 15 October 2014, 05:44 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paben
So the OP's choice is to buy a knackered worn out Sti and replace the parts or buy a knackered worn out WRX and replace the parts! Having done that with a WRX all he will have is a WRX and still be well short of what the Sti has to offer.

Watch that video for all the very many reasons to buy an Sti, and there are good ones out there for £7k that are not complete wrecks, although you can easily buy a wreck if you don't keep your wits about you. But that applies to any car of course.
Your missing my main point, which is no matter what you buy now THEY ARE OLD CARS, simples, there is just no getting away from that fact, he's looking at getting something that is going to be 10/12 years old to be his daily and then mod it and track it a few times a year after it's already been thrashed for most of it's life.
Love Subarus as much as I do but with the best will in the world these cars are basically old jap budget bangers now, there are still minters out there but they're not in the £5/7k bracket, unless your looking at freshly imported classics, and even then they will still be circa 15yrs old at best.

Sad but true.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 15 October 2014 at 05:46 PM.
Old 15 October 2014, 05:49 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jayallen
I'd still take a knackered old STI over a nice clean WRX all day everyday
Says the EVO driver.

For me it's not about WRX or STI it's about value for money and the end product, I don't care what badge is on the back, I just want the best bang for my buck.
Old 15 October 2014, 05:56 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

on another note if you want a performance car and have a 5 k budget id avoid both models, one is a poor compromise thats why its cheap the other is not available at your budget.
Old 16 October 2014, 05:08 PM
Brothers Grin
Scooby Newbie

Interesting points chaps and all make sense. Have found this and really am tempted. Might go and see it next week. Any thoughts would be appreciated

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...-miles/2733087
Old 16 October 2014, 05:47 PM
DTVHSR
Scooby Regular

Everyone has this stigma about buying a WRX and not an STI.

Yes and STI is a fantastic car with better uprated parts, all of which are more expensive to change or replace.

A WRX is a hell of a car, it will make mince meat of a great deal of cars on the road, and more often than not people run out of talent before the car runs out of grip etc.

It's all what you want, because on the main road you can only get away with so much.

If you want to track it, an STI is a better idea as it should stand up to the abuse better than an WRX would, but onces again it's a trade off, the WRX is lighter and less power, the STI is heavier with more power, both are designed to a tolerance and built to last. If you modify them things will wear out quicker fact.

If you truly have your heart set on an STI don't buy a WRX you will never be happy, even if you enjoy the car.

Your call bud!
Old 17 October 2014, 05:05 PM
Brothers Grin
Scooby Newbie

Have decided to sit off a bit and save some extra cash for a low mileage newage STi....it just seems to make more sense.

Massive thanks to everybody who has helped. Will be sticking around as its a great forum