Notices

newbie needing help ..engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 06 October 2014, 11:42 PM
weedono
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie needing help ..engine swap

Hav a 97 catalunya and freind is replacing engine with another ej20 engine i got my hands on but when swapping bits over timing belt cover wont fit any i find are same as i have ...any ideas help please
Old 07 October 2014, 08:28 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

what year is the replacement engine from
Old 07 October 2014, 09:36 AM
weedono
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig
what year is the replacement engine from
Was told was 2000 but all the ones i find are the same as i have already going into mates garage today to hav a look again new one has red manifold and yellow 440 injectors if that helps

Last edited by weedono; 07 October 2014 at 09:37 AM.
Old 08 October 2014, 09:04 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the replacement engine is from a MY'00, then the covers wont fit as the distance between the cams to mount the inner covers is different to your Catalunya.
MY'00 will be a Phase 2 two engine with off-set inlet manifold bolt pattern on the heads, so the inlet manifold is different as well as the engine loom.

Mick
Old 11 October 2014, 12:53 PM
weedono
Scooby Newbie

Got hands on covers.. had loom with new engine will my ecu run this block ????
Old 16 October 2014, 04:55 PM
weedono
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by merlin24
If the replacement engine is from a MY'00, then the covers wont fit as the distance between the cams to mount the inner covers is different to your Catalunya.
MY'00 will be a Phase 2 two engine with off-set inlet manifold bolt pattern on the heads, so the inlet manifold is different as well as the engine loom.

Mick
Got yhe right cam covers engine has offset manifold engine came with loom but will my ecu run this or will i have to upgrade /replace any other onfo on problems i will run into would be great thanks
Old 17 October 2014, 09:57 PM
weedono
Scooby Newbie

Default help

Anybody out there lol ?????
Old 18 October 2014, 07:39 AM
scoobyricht
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The loom will need to be changed as well as the ecu to match the replacement engine. Sounds like you have a sti engine as the replacement going by the red manifold. If possible get the ecu from the same car as the engine came from.
Old 18 October 2014, 12:25 PM
weedono
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by scoobyricht
The loom will need to be changed as well as the ecu to match the replacement engine. Sounds like you have a sti engine as the replacement going by the red manifold. If possible get the ecu from the same car as the engine came from.
Have the loom but not able to get ecu any ideas on what i should use as there is so many it gets confusing as im new to subarus lol thanks
Old 18 October 2014, 12:32 PM
weedono
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by weedono
Have the loom but not able to get ecu any ideas on what i should use as there is so many it gets confusing as im new to subarus lol thanks
Will i also need different maf as mines a blue label was reading sti should be orange ?????
Old 18 October 2014, 02:30 PM
TimH
Orange Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're fitting a 1999-2000 engine in to a 1997/98 model you are going to have some electrical issues.

- the ECUs are not interchangeable between the years as they have different connectos and the gubbins on the inlet manifold is driven differently
- the 1999-2000 engine loom has different connectors on it so won't mate up with the vehicle loom

As has been said, the 1999-2000 has a "phase 2" inlet manifold whereas the 1997-98 has a "phase 1.5" so you can't easily swap the inlet manifolds over. But that might be an option as I think there are conversion kits available.

If you are running an after market ECU such as Syvecs or AlcaTek then you can take the engine loom multiway plugs off the 1997-98 engine loom and fit them to the 1999-2000 engine loom. The ECU can then be modified (AlcaTek) or re-calibrated in software (Syvecs) to suit the different idle control valve, coils etc.

All in all, not a straightforward job.

Same applies, by the way, if you're swapping engines between any model year versions (1993-96/1997-98/1999-2000/newage/hatch).
Old 20 October 2014, 09:54 AM
wms-racing
Former Sponsor

Swap the heads, end of, not a hard job compared to converting phase 1.5-2
Old 26 October 2014, 05:34 PM
weedono
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by TimH
If you're fitting a 1999-2000 engine in to a 1997/98 model you are going to have some electrical issues.

- the ECUs are not interchangeable between the years as they have different connectos and the gubbins on the inlet manifold is driven differently
- the 1999-2000 engine loom has different connectors on it so won't mate up with the vehicle loom

As has been said, the 1999-2000 has a "phase 2" inlet manifold whereas the 1997-98 has a "phase 1.5" so you can't easily swap the inlet manifolds over. But that might be an option as I think there are conversion kits available.

If you are running an after market ECU such as Syvecs or AlcaTek then you can take the engine loom multiway plugs off the 1997-98 engine loom and fit them to the 1999-2000 engine loom. The ECU can then be modified (AlcaTek) or re-calibrated in software (Syvecs) to suit the different idle control valve, coils etc.

All in all, not a straightforward job.

Same applies, by the way, if you're swapping engines between any model year versions (1993-96/1997-98/1999-2000/newage/hatch).
Would a sti sp prodrive ecu work as been offered one and told should be plug n play ??
Old 26 October 2014, 06:33 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Would a sti sp prodrive ecu work as been offered one and told should be plug n play ??
If the ECU is from the right year of car that matches your engine and loom yes. However how much loom do you have? There are usually a couple of loom sections in the engine, the main interior/dash/ecu loom and then the front to rear loom. All need to be from the same car. Otherwise plugs won't fit, wires will be miss matched etc. Then if you change engine and ALL the loom will the new wiring work with your interior? Dash controls and things won't be compatible. It's a nightmare trust me. Even things like the heater blower of a 98 car has different wiring to a 99 car. Ideally you need either the right parts for your car or a whole donor car to take the lot from.

Last edited by FMJ; 26 October 2014 at 06:35 PM.
Old 26 October 2014, 08:34 PM
TimH
Orange Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What he said
Old 26 October 2014, 09:44 PM
weedono
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by FMJ
If the ECU is from the right year of car that matches your engine and loom yes. However how much loom do you have? There are usually a couple of loom sections in the engine, the main interior/dash/ecu loom and then the front to rear loom. All need to be from the same car. Otherwise plugs won't fit, wires will be miss matched etc. Then if you change engine and ALL the loom will the new wiring work with your interior? Dash controls and things won't be compatible. It's a nightmare trust me. Even things like the heater blower of a 98 car has different wiring to a 99 car. Ideally you need either the right parts for your car or a whole donor car to take the lot from.
Thanks didnt think would be so simple looks like a donor car will be on the cards .All part of the learning curve prob many more posts to come lol
Old 26 October 2014, 09:52 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks didnt think would be so simple looks like a donor car will be on the cards .All part of the learning curve prob many more posts to come lol
Lol check here before spending money

Why not rebuild the original engine? Would probably work out cheaper? If the block is toast why not just fit a rebuilt short block? Or as has been said take your replacement short block and fit your old heads then fit your old inlet manifold and keep the old wiring and ECU.

Effectively the short block will be the same in most cases its just the heads that are more model specific.