Notices

Water cooling a TMIC

Search this Thread

Old 03 October 2014, 09:45 PM
Jayjay100
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water cooling a TMIC

I have seen that some TMIC come with water jets so u can spray water into it . Is this worth trying to make one work on a 1994 wrx . Or would it not work
Old 03 October 2014, 09:53 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can retrofit but I personally don't think it's worth it.

I have it and can't remember the last time I used it (I have manual and auto function but the auto doesn't work due to aftermarket ecu that has been fitted and I haven't bothered sorting it out)
Old 03 October 2014, 09:59 PM
Jayjay100
Scooby Regular

So not worth it thank .
Old 04 October 2014, 09:13 AM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Subaru didnt design an intercooler spray kit for nothing. All the RD that went into it, and how they needed to justify its existance to be signed off for production - id say it is functional.

For example, last summer, I did a lot of driving in the sun, after a few weeks, the spray tank was empty, so the auto function had been doing its job, i never felt any heat soak when pulling away from standstill traffic etc. It will silently protect your engine and increase performance when stinking hot.
Old 04 October 2014, 09:49 PM
boosted
Scooby Regular

Don't bother retro fitting intetcooler water spray, fit a proper water injection kit to spray the water directly into the engine where it really does the business!
Old 05 October 2014, 12:21 AM
Jayjay100
Scooby Regular

As we are on this topic can I ask I have found a uk300 TMIC for good money. I no I will need to make it fit but would that be a good upgrade. Better then my standed one I have at the mo. And it looks like it comes with the piping to do the water jets . I no it will be a lot of work making it fit and making the water jets work . But is the uk 300 a good upgrade. Or just wasting my money getting it.
Old 05 October 2014, 12:23 AM
Jayjay100
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boosted
Don't bother retro fitting intetcooler water spray, fit a proper water injection kit to spray the water directly into the engine where it really does the business!
Do or can u put a pic up of this so I can see what and wear it all gos. Please . If u don't mind.
Old 05 October 2014, 12:59 AM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Legacies used a charge cooler, a sealed TMIC that used like an antifreeze to cool inlet temps, that didnt seem to catch on..............
Old 05 October 2014, 01:07 AM
Jayjay100
Scooby Regular

The water sraying into the TMIC must work or why would subaru do it . And if it can be done on the newer ones then with a bit of playing I reckon it can be done.
I no I need to upgrade my TMIC. & a newage one will do the job .
There is a 300uk one going for around £60 at mo . But don't no if I shod get it or not.
Old 05 October 2014, 01:08 AM
Jayjay100
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Rig
Legacies used a charge cooler, a sealed TMIC that used like an antifreeze to cool inlet temps, that didnt seem to catch on..............
You say it did not catch on but did it work .
Old 05 October 2014, 08:21 AM
boosted
Scooby Regular

Water injection is niether Intercooler water spray or a charge cooler.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HkPFZWd8wj4
Inlet temps soo low that inlet manifolds have been known to freeze.
Old 05 October 2014, 08:30 AM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Complete waste of time and money on a normal road car.
Old 05 October 2014, 08:38 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trinity
Complete waste of time and money on a normal road car.
What is water injection or water spraying the tmic?

I don't see either as a waste to be honest
Old 05 October 2014, 08:51 AM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Water injection. Its costly, and would be waste of money of a road car, especially in a UK climate, if we lived in Arizona, I would be inclined to feel it MAY be useful....but for what the guy is going to get out it, he may as well spend his money on a new turbo or a good mapping session, he will get more out of his pound that way.

If its a track, race or drag car with big power, then it would be a good idea. Or if you want to chat your mates up in the pub "yeah i got an water cooling system, it dropped my inlet temps by ten degrees, makes it go faster, yarda yarda" then it will work for you too

Top mount spray kits can be had very cheap, so worth the punt..plus its an OEM designed part so easy to fit with Subaru designed reliability
Old 05 October 2014, 09:32 AM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

my water/meth injection gives me another 20/30hp and corresponding torque, this is what my mapper has told me. I'm running 466hp/495llbs torque on a TMIC, I monitor ACT's at the throttlebody and temps are kept to within 4/5 deg of ambient, that's on road and track.
There appears to be some confusion with nitrous which is so cold it can freeze surfaces around the inlet-pipes but W/M injection isn't the same although both systems inject at pretty much the same place.
Water/meth injection is expensive, around £800 to buy and install and isn't popular in the UK for the same reason's topical spraying, that's climate. My system over 6years is almost nil maintanence and absolutly no hassle.
Trev

Last edited by trevsjwood; 05 October 2014 at 09:34 AM.
Old 05 October 2014, 11:02 AM
Jayjay100
Scooby Regular

Yer that make sene, if we lived in La or some wear hot then they are worth it . Being in the uk its not like we have hot wether all year round . I don't think I will try and do it .
Thanks to all the members for your input .
That's y I do like this site . And not one (slaging off comment nice) I was wating for a certain member to join and start with what he duz best . Lol.
Thank again lads nice1 . ��
Old 05 October 2014, 11:04 AM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jayjay100
Yer that make sene, if we lived in La or some wear hot then they are worth it . Being in the uk its not like we have hot wether all year round . I don't think I will try and do it .
That's y I do like this site . And not one (slaging off comment nice) I was wating for a certain member to join and start with what he duz best . Lol.
Its Sunday mate, maybe its his day off

The other troll is lurking though, but this is WAY out of his knowledge basis! but he will tell you how to check the value of your car on autotrader hahah
Old 05 October 2014, 11:11 AM
Jayjay100
Scooby Regular

Lol I like that . You no who I was taking about strat away ��
Old 05 October 2014, 02:08 PM
boosted
Scooby Regular

Lol! I've heard it all now! Waste of time reducing air temps and knock in a road car! Next you will be saying v power is a waste of time on a road car! What a load of rubbish.
Normal unleaded and a water injection is the equivalent of 110 octane fuel.
Why spray the Intercooler in an attempt to cool it and then the air passing through it, when you can just spray the air charge directly and then the combustion process itself.
A good quality basic kit can be had for around £250 (AEM or devilsown.)
Easy to instal, and very reliable as mentioned. Intetcooler water spray is a bit of a gimmick, maybe it was put on by subaru as some sort of homologation rule? Not sure, don't care. I know my physics and I'm happy knowing a higher octane fuel works well with a boosted engine.

Last edited by boosted; 05 October 2014 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05 October 2014, 02:34 PM
BBB3
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As said by trinity

In my spec c I just leave it on auto
Old 05 October 2014, 05:53 PM
boosted
Scooby Regular

Be cheap to do, a cheap washer pump and bit of cheap washer hose and a couple of washer jets or a piece of nylon pipe with some pin holes in it. Cost about a tenner to do.
Old 05 October 2014, 05:54 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

or buy the proper Subaru engineered one from a breakers, they sell for about thirty quid. and have bee RD'd by Subaru, not a man in Harlow.
Old 05 October 2014, 06:51 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by The Rig
On the contrary charge cooling pops up in all sorts of places:

Bentley's 6.75 Turbo has been chargecooled since the 1990's and still is.
Most turbo-diesel boat engines as well as industrial engine (gensets etc) are charge cooled.
Celica GT4 had it.
Early Focus RS had it.
The latest VAG high-output TDi and TSi engines are charge cooled....its actually part of the inlet manifold.

They are good at what they do.

Water injection+meth.....was very popular in modded cossies back in the day. Good for keeping combustion chambers clean too (the steam helps de-coke it).

Water spray on the intercooler always seemed like a gimmick to me, or at best a plaster to bodge what is a poor intercooler design/location.

Last edited by ALi-B; 05 October 2014 at 06:53 PM.
Old 06 October 2014, 03:47 PM
boosted
Scooby Regular

As I said why spray the Intercooler with water when you can spray the air inside it directly with water. Same cooling effect, only maximised to it's full potential when injected inside the inlet.
You don't try and put a house fire out by spraying water on the outside of the walls do you?
Old 06 October 2014, 03:53 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jayjay100
as you are referring to me I'll try to be nice as I'll just get you crying off to the mods as usual like a little school boy .

your nitro thread etc was pure retard, but this one is sensible enough.

as I own an sti with the I/c spray kit fitted from factory I have used it and its never felt like its made a difference at all but obviously I can't monitor intake temps.
my car now has an fmic and as the kit was already fitted I moved the spray nozzle to the front bumper,it still makes no difference to me,I agree with Ali,its Just a gimmick and if performance is what you're after don't bother.

Last edited by fat-thomas; 06 October 2014 at 04:17 PM.
Old 06 October 2014, 04:57 PM
Rescue Dude
Scooby Regular

I retro fitted a Spec C tank and intercooler spray into my Classic. I have an inlet temp sensor fitted and can confirm that the temps come down much quicker with the spray than without it.
Old 06 October 2014, 05:33 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

It's proven physics that water conducts heat away from source 30% faster than air.
Old 06 October 2014, 05:35 PM
boosted
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Maz
It's proven physics that water conducts heat away from source 30% faster than air.
Ace, now spray it into your engine!
Old 06 October 2014, 05:45 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by boosted
Ace, now spray it into your engine!
I'm all for WI (water injection not women's institute), set up properly it gives good power and torque gains. As well as altering the torque curve, bringing torque in earlier. You can run more boost as the water/meth increases octane.
The only proviso being it should be mapped in and have failsafes in place. This can be expensive but gives good results done at the right stage of the modding process.
Old 06 October 2014, 05:52 PM
fat-thomas
BANNED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Maz
I'm all for WI (water injection not women's institute), set up properly it gives good power and torque gains. As well as altering the torque curve, bringing torque in earlier. You can run more boost as the water/meth increases octane.
The only proviso being it should be mapped in and have failsafes in place. This can be expensive but gives good results done at the right stage of the modding process.
as much as the advice is correct,the op has a bog standard 20 year old wrx,so I'm not sure the I/c spray kit will serve any purpose at all.

Quick Reply: Water cooling a TMIC