Burst Steel Braided Fuel Line

Search this Thread

Old 27 September 2014, 05:52 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burst Steel Braided Fuel Line

Hi All,
Fired the car up today after it's been stood for 2 months, and I got a bad smell of fuel. Looked under the car & fuel was pissing out so I turned it off & had a look.
I run an under bonnet swirl pot with a Bosch 044 & it's the line from the top of the pot to the fuel pressure reg. Its burst in the middle of the line with no sign of damage on the steel braid, I will fit a new line, but I'm worried about it happening again, they are only 2 to 3 years old, has anyone else had any issues with braided lines?
Thanks, Richard.
Old 27 September 2014, 06:00 PM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

do you run std fuel or additional meths, race fuel, etc.??

there have been reports of a certain egay hose being poor and susceptible to fail, also depends on the exact spec you have used??
Old 27 September 2014, 06:13 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AS Performance
do you run std fuel or additional meths, race fuel, etc.??

there have been reports of a certain egay hose being poor and susceptible to fail, also depends on the exact spec you have used??
Sometimes run 20% meth, but I bought my fuel lines from a reputable supplier, or so I thought. I've not had meth in it for about a year, I'm going to remove the braid to further examine the hose.
Old 27 September 2014, 06:44 PM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

if its braided Nitrile hose then not really recomended for Meths use.........

we only use / supply Goodrdige or Earls having had long established relationships with both and never been anything but happy with their high quality offerings
Old 28 September 2014, 12:12 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there

We have similar issue with the teflon braided lines,which has failed after 6 months,we are replaced them with better hoses and mainly after that we run less meth than previously or on less occasions

Thanks,Jura
Old 28 September 2014, 12:54 AM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the same problem with non braided rubber hose feed to the external bosch, it split on a bend which should have had an elbow. I've now upgraded the pipe to braided and fitted an elbow but now wishing I'd researched the quality of the hose more.
The thing I don't get is the OEM fuel hose which has been on the car for over 10 years is unaffected by years of methanol use.
Trev
Old 28 September 2014, 12:00 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by trevsjwood
I had the same problem with non braided rubber hose feed to the external bosch, it split on a bend which should have had an elbow. I've now upgraded the pipe to braided and fitted an elbow but now wishing I'd researched the quality of the hose more.
The thing I don't get is the OEM fuel hose which has been on the car for over 10 years is unaffected by years of methanol use.
Trev
My car is nearly 18 years old & I only replaced the rubber hoses from the tank a couple of months ago as a precaution. I think it must be a quality issue. Some of my hose was bought as Goodridge & some was bought as a non branded alternative from Torques. I don't know which is which now so do I replace the lot as a precaution?

Trending Topics

Old 28 September 2014, 12:03 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AS Performance
if its braided Nitrile hose then not really recomended for Meths use.........

we only use / supply Goodrdige or Earls having had long established relationships with both and never been anything but happy with their high quality offerings
How much will it cost to supply me with enough hose to do the job again?
Old 28 September 2014, 02:11 PM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RICHARD J
My car is nearly 18 years old & I only replaced the rubber hoses from the tank a couple of months ago as a precaution. I think it must be a quality issue. Some of my hose was bought as Goodridge & some was bought as a non branded alternative from Torques. I don't know which is which now so do I replace the lot as a precaution?
my split non-braided/ non branded hose was bought from a supplier on ebay, it wasn't up to spec for the job, add to that the angle I put on it I was asking for trouble.
The newly fitted non branded braided hose I sourced from Torques and quote; the inner tube is made of synthetic nitrile with partial stainless steel reinforcement innerbraid.
It takes any fuel including methanol and nitromethane; unquote
It cost £16.98 per metre.
All the other fittings apart from the swirl pot to bosch pump feed are push on fittings and easy to replace, so I'm just going to renew them yearly.
I am very concerned about the braided hose to the pump as it's a sod to get at and I would like to know how it compares with the likes of Goodridge ect.
Trev