Notices

Recommend me a clutch for Hawkeye STI

Search this Thread

Old 09 September 2014, 08:58 AM
S3LDM
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Recommend me a clutch for Hawkeye STI

My clutch is on its way out I think, it has started to slip now and again under hard acceleration

My car is running 360/400 with EcuteK racerom, has any one changed their clutch on their Hawk if so what did you get ? how do you find it with every day driving ? and how much did it cost for the clutch only ?

I Appreciate any advice 
Old 09 September 2014, 09:32 AM
dooby-do
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best place is Aztec performace on here just bought a new clutch of them and
It's spot on and very good on price aswell drop them a email and see what they can do
Or check there website
Old 09 September 2014, 10:27 AM
jazzyjembreaze
Scooby Regular

Exedy pink box is fine for your power level
It's inexpensive & trouble free - pair it with a lighter flywheel wilst your there .
Stock is heavy around 14-15 kg if my memory serves me ,
It will most likely need skimming if you retain it tho
Old 09 September 2014, 10:44 AM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

We supply the CC organic clutch. Highly recommended as a smooth road car unit that will hang on to 450 lbs ft and more if required. £432 inc vat, and a distinct improvement on the Exedy.
We don't recommend light flywheels for road cars, we find the 6 speeds don't suffer as badly as the 5 speeds for judder issues.
Old 09 September 2014, 12:29 PM
Steve's Sti
Scooby Regular

Ive a stage 2 CC it fairly grips more than the standard item
Old 09 September 2014, 12:44 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Big mis-conception about lightweight flywheels.

We recommend them on all applications except people using their cars to regularly tow heavy weights (trailers/caravans).

We sell hundreds of packages and have never had a customer with any issue.

Instantly improved throttle response and acceleration, what's not to like?! The ones we sell are a perfect road weight, you'll be left wondering why the car didn't drive like that from the factory.

Comes with my own personal backing, been there and done that - one of the best mods I ever did to my car.

With regards to CC vs Exedy, I find it hard to agree that CC is "better" that Exedy, I can't see how it could be, higher power rating perhaps, better clutch probably not.

We sell both Exedy and Competition Clutch, both are decent. You would choose one or the other based on power output and application.

Hope that helps
Old 09 September 2014, 01:06 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by dooby-do
Best place is Aztec performace on here just bought a new clutch of them and
It's spot on and very good on price aswell drop them a email and see what they can do
Or check there website
Thanks mate, appreciated :noteworthy

Originally Posted by jazzyjembreaze
Exedy pink box is fine for your power level
It's inexpensive & trouble free - pair it with a lighter flywheel wilst your there .
Stock is heavy around 14-15 kg if my memory serves me ,
It will most likely need skimming if you retain it tho
Good advice there, 10.5kg to 12 from memory. Uprated lightweight forged flywheels 5.5 to 6.7 depending on model. Change the spigot bearing also whilst there. If buying clutch with flywheel then spigot is included in any case.

Originally Posted by S3LDM
My clutch is on its way out I think, it has started to slip now and again under hard acceleration

My car is running 360/400 with EcuteK racerom, has any one changed their clutch on their Hawk if so what did you get ? how do you find it with every day driving ? and how much did it cost for the clutch only ?

I Appreciate any advice 
Exedy Pink is a very good clutch and will handle that power: http://aztecperformance.com/clutches...ed-450bhp.html

If you want something that will afford you more headroom for future upgrades then the Competition Clutch is also a decent option for not much more money: http://aztecperformance.com/clutches...7-6-speed.html

Whichever one you choose I would highly recommend adding a lightweight forged flywheel. Click on "Buy Together" tab for package discount
Old 09 September 2014, 01:32 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Following on from extensive testing, we only recommend light flywheels for RACE cars. they are a positive disadvantage for drag racing or rallying making a "bog down" much more likely.
Just because somebody sells it, don't make it right.
Old 09 September 2014, 01:41 PM
jazzyjembreaze
Scooby Regular

Let's not have a agree to disagree thread guys
I personally run 1 myself & suffer no ill effects .
I also built my own engine so my advise is my own
But your right it doesn't suit all , esp the ultra light variants , but a 8-9k wheel on a mid powered car won't hinder it IMO
Old 09 September 2014, 01:43 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

It feels like it pre year 2000 all over again

Before fitting my lightweight flywheel over a decade ago some people said the same as you. I did my own research, decided to fit a super lightweight flywheel to my road car that was used pretty heavily on the drag strip also.

Result, delight to drive, very consistent launching. Not many basic spec cars running 11.7s @ 119mph with just 340bhp at a time some "tuners" were needing 500bhp to achieve similar Very consistent launching, not much variance on any given day with sometimes 20-30 runs on a drag day.

I would never go back to a standard flywheel.

The proof is in the pudding, our customers are delighted with our recommendations since 2007.
Old 09 September 2014, 01:46 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Old 09 September 2014, 01:46 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Jolly well done.
Old 09 September 2014, 01:49 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Thanks Alan, old news now, just thought the myth had been expelled a long time ago
Old 09 September 2014, 01:57 PM
BBB3
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 09 September 2014, 02:53 PM
S3LDM
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the information guys very much appreciated

Some food for thought here..
Old 09 September 2014, 05:06 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Aztec Performance Ltd
Thanks Alan, old news now, just thought the myth had been expelled a long time ago
Engineering trumps marketing in my view. I just tell it to my customers like it is.
Old 09 September 2014, 07:08 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

You can only advise your customers based on your experience and knowledge.

I installed a lightweight flywheel in my own car (daily road driver & regular drag) well over a decade ago after a fair amount of research. Was one of the best single modifications I ever did to the car and it produced the results. Based upon this first hand experience I advise customers accordingly and the feedback from them has been excellent.

Subaru from the factory need to accommodate all types of drivers and car usage. In some conditions a heavy flywheel can be beneficial (when towing heavy weights for example), but if people are not using the car for towing etc, then they have unnecessary weight to "turn". Reducing rotational mass to a optimal level for the car's use is the key. Fitting the right weight flywheel makes the car far better to drive.

Happy customers and results is what it's about, and our customers are very happy with the recommendations and the lightweight flywheels.
Old 09 September 2014, 09:45 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

You can only advise your customers based on your experience and knowledge.

I installed a lightweight flywheel in my own car (daily road driver & regular drag) well over a decade ago after a fair amount of research. Was one of the best single modifications I ever did to the car and it produced the results. Based upon this first hand experience I advise customers accordingly and the feedback from them has been excellent.

Subaru from the factory need to accommodate all types of drivers and car usage. In some conditions a heavy flywheel can be beneficial (when towing heavy weights for example), but if people are not using the car for towing etc, then they have unnecessary weight to "turn". Reducing rotational mass to a optimal level for the car's use is the key. Fitting the right weight flywheel makes the car far better to drive.

Happy customers and results is what it's about, and our customers are very happy with the recommendations and the lightweight flywheels.
Inertia is what a flywheel is about. If you are holding an RPM which inevitably reduces on power take up, then a flywheel will supply torque during the decay period. Like a drag racing launch for example. Yes, when you blip the throttle in neutral, the engine will appear to pick up quicker, but it will also decay quicker making a "bog down" more likely. If you want to impress by just sitting there revving it up, then go light young man.. As an in gear transient, I doubt there's much in it. I don't get the "towing" reference at all.
Being practical, and having seen the effects on a lot of Impreza flywheels, I'd say the stock product stands up slightly better than the light ones do under pressure due to slightly better heat absorption. We've slung a lot of shagged flywheels away! If you don't mind a bit of judder, then no big deal. The alloy composite ones have a habit of failing due to poor crank fittings.
Being fair, the 5 speed flywheels are often stuffed regardless, the 6 speed units being much better.
Old 09 September 2014, 09:51 PM
BBB3
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 10 September 2014, 08:00 AM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BBB3
If you're going to pass comment fella, why not just say what you think you mean?
Go on, spit it out..
Old 10 September 2014, 10:19 AM
S3LDM
Scooby Regular

Well thank you for all these comments, I am learning something every day, this is exactly what I wanted from this thread, to have feedback from people who have tried and tested the options with regards to clutches, personal experiences not just hear say, and also great to have 2 experienced professionals comment

And you two......stop arguing if you can’t keep it clean. don’t get personal

I do Appreciate all comments
Old 10 September 2014, 10:52 AM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Alan Jeffery
Inertia is what a flywheel is about. If you are holding an RPM which inevitably reduces on power take up, then a flywheel will supply torque during the decay period. Like a drag racing launch for example. Yes, when you blip the throttle in neutral, the engine will appear to pick up quicker, but it will also decay quicker making a "bog down" more likely. If you want to impress by just sitting there revving it up, then go light young man.. As an in gear transient, I doubt there's much in it. I don't get the "towing" reference at all.
Being practical, and having seen the effects on a lot of Impreza flywheels, I'd say the stock product stands up slightly better than the light ones do under pressure due to slightly better heat absorption. We've slung a lot of shagged flywheels away! If you don't mind a bit of judder, then no big deal. The alloy composite ones have a habit of failing due to poor crank fittings.
Being fair, the 5 speed flywheels are often stuffed regardless, the 6 speed units being much better.
If your "engineering" view is that lightweight flywheels do nothing more than assist "just sitting there revving it up" I don't think this conversation is going much further.

It's 2014 anyhow, all these convos have been done to death. I fitted the lightest possible flywheel to my 5 speed, the flywheel was still good until the end of the cars life several years and a few clutch changes later. The car was a daily driver and had regular use on the drag strip. It outperformed any other cars running anywhere near the power with very consistent launches. There was no judder with the correct clutch fitted. 100s of our customers happily run lightweight flywheels.

Reducing rotational mass does have any benefit in gear? I will have to relearn everything I thought I knew and have experienced first hand. Maybe I should of been increasing rotational mass

Not many big builds out there running OEM flywheels.

The key is to find the right weight for the given application, too light and without skill you may bog down, too heavy and you will lose performance. From the factory Subaru flywheels are on the heavy side. Medium weight lightweight flywheels are the most popular with a nice balance.

Speaking of balance, maybe thats a better way to discuss these things rather than blindly trying to win a debate

Last edited by Aztec Performance Ltd; 15 September 2014 at 10:46 AM.
Old 10 September 2014, 11:16 AM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by S3LDM
Well thank you for all these comments, I am learning something every day, this is exactly what I wanted from this thread, to have feedback from people who have tried and tested the options with regards to clutches, personal experiences not just hear say, and also great to have 2 experienced professionals comment

And you two......stop arguing if you can’t keep it clean. don’t get personal

I do Appreciate all comments
You're welcome mate.
Old 10 September 2014, 11:53 AM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

If your "engineering" view is that lightweight flywheels do nothing more than assist "just sitting there revving it up" I don't think this conversation is going much further.

It's 2014 anyhow, all these convos have been done to death. I fitted the lightest possible flywheel to my 5 speed, the flywheel was still good until the end of the cars life several years and a few clutch changes later. The car was a daily driver and had regular use on the drag strip. It outperformed any other cars running anywhere near the power with very consistent launches. There was no judder with the correct clutch fitted. 100s of our customers happily run lightweight flywheels. Indeed, we guarantee our complete packages not to judder.

Reducing rotational mass does have any benefit in gear? I will have to relearn everything I thought I knew and have experienced first hand. Maybe I should of been increasing rotational mass

Not many big builds out there running OEM flywheels.

The key is to find the right weight for the given application, too light and without skill you may bog down, too heavy and you will lose performance. From the factory Subaru flywheels are on the heavy side. Medium weight lightweight flywheels are the most popular with a nice balance.

Speaking of balance, maybe thats a better way to discuss these things rather than blindly trying to win a debate
Sorry, but the OP asked for opinions and I'm just giving mine. I regret if it doesn't suit your business model. Of course I make nothing out of not selling light flywheels! My point is that the subject is misunderstood and misquoted in engineering terms. I stick to my view that a virtually stock road car will gain nothing from fitting one of your flywheels other than possibly being a surface improvement over a duff one. My point about "sitting there revving it up" is that it's the only feedback you're likely to get. Reducing rotational mass has such little benefit on otherwise stock cars that you can't measure it. If it works for you then "Jolly well done". I've no doubt it's a viable product, and certainly better than the hack attempts I've seen over the past 48 years from people who like to machine their own. I competed at one race meeting where the owner was killed by a flywheel that decided it didn't want to stay attached to his crankshaft. I'd say it's potentially another example of race technology being erroneously transposed into everyday use via folklore and vested interest.
Most of our many big builds would require a twin plate in any case. Different strokes.
Old 10 September 2014, 12:54 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Different strokes for different folks indeed.

Proof is in the pudding as I say. You say it's not good on a road and drag car, I've been there done that and proven otherwise. Our customers seem to agree:

Quote:
---Quote (Originally by scatty)---
got mine from aztec.....difference in weight is unbelievable...
---End Quote---
Quote:

---Quote (Originally by sprigeteer)---
The engine was quicker to gain speed and there was a sense of reduced initial inertia. Definitely easier to stall, but not to the extent that it affected driveability - you just need to drive it more carefully and apply more forthought. I fitted the one from the Aztec website, not sure if it was alloy/forged etc.

I think the bite point is laible to change on any clutch work, mine did, slightly, but not in a bad way. I went for the flywheel at the same time as it seemed like a good mod that could be done with minimal labour costs as th clutch was coming out anyways. In my opinion it did make the car respond better under accelleration and well worth replacing a worn/less performance oriented part.

Hope this helps.
---End Quote---

Quote:
---Quote (Originally by Ramsay1602)---
Clutch and flywheel from Aztec Performance has been great and still going strong! thanks again, great service!!
---End Quote---

Quote:
---Quote (Originally by madscoob)---
got mine a package from aztec . noticed the difference on the way home from mates garage . a lot crisper throttle responce and revs a lot quicker in each gear as you go up the box . also no judder at all with the anti judder exedy clutch , very smooth changes . apart from the vf35 i picked up off a mate for 50quid its the best money ive spent on the scoob
---End Quote---

Products that work = happy customers.
Old 10 September 2014, 01:35 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Cool, as I'm not into peeing on people's barbies, I'll let you have the last word..
Old 10 September 2014, 07:14 PM
scooby2.5maz
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok then , can I have the last word ? My hawkeye sti runs an exedy pink box . Running 530 bhp and 470-480 of torque , no issues as yet !
Old 11 September 2014, 10:07 AM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby2.5maz
Ok then , can I have the last word ? My hawkeye sti runs an exedy pink box . Running 530 bhp and 470-480 of torque , no issues as yet !
No, you can't as the discussion was about flywheels, not clutches!
Old 11 September 2014, 10:08 AM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Old 11 September 2014, 10:47 AM
scooby2.5maz
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lol lol lol lol

Quick Reply: Recommend me a clutch for Hawkeye STI