Notices

WRX PPP Blobeye - Massive power loss on 95 ron?

Search this Thread

Old 05 September 2014, 08:51 PM
bullawayo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy WRX PPP Blobeye - Massive power loss on 95 ron?

Hi guys,

I'm Matt. I recently bought a red PPP blobeye WRX on an 03 plate with 50k on it. Full Subaru service history, absolutely love it!

I did quite a long journey for work today and have only run it on 97+ ron fuel so far. Today, the petrol station I stopped at only had 95 unleaded. I filled up with 40 quids worth and instantly noticed a drop in power and the car felt very "boggy"

As I was quite worried I pulled over and checked the PPP certificate. This clearly states that 95 ron will do no damage however to feel the full performance 97+ fuel should be used.

I have searched the forum and have so far only found conversations on the STI being Super unleaded, finding nothing specifically for the PPP WRX.

Anyone had this issue? It worried me a little bit and I don't want to do any damage. When driving home (as soon as I realised it was down on power) I stuck below 3k.

Cheers

Matt (noob)
Old 05 September 2014, 09:49 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No **** Sherlock.

Just stick to the good stuff Shell V Power or Tesco Momentum and buy a bottle or two of octane booster just in case you get caught short.

You'll learn to make sure you never pass a shell station without topping up.

Welcome to the club.
Old 06 September 2014, 06:13 AM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

You've not done any damage - only difference you will feel is the drop in power - though I'm surprised you can notice it, I never have when I've used the odd tank of 95.
Old 06 September 2014, 09:26 AM
JusNoGood
Scooby Regular

yes, no damage done.

I personally wouldn't have put £40 in if I was caught short...I'd just stick in a £10 then fill up with the V-Power at the next Shell

P.S. I've travelled the country and I just make sure I use the Shell App and see where the next garage when I get below half a tank

Last edited by JusNoGood; 06 September 2014 at 09:27 AM.
Old 11 September 2014, 07:46 AM
bullawayo
Scooby Regular

I only put 40 quid in. I will download the shell app aswell, good idea!

I've filled up with 97 now and all is restored. I think it may have been placebo affect more than anything regarding the power loss. It was probably a lot more minor than I thought but as I noticed it, it worried me haha
Old 11 September 2014, 08:05 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I wouldn't say it's so much the placebo effect, I lost 17 bhp between 2 maps one for 95 ron and one for 98 ron on my Type R with a Simtec, so if it was really crap fuel and the light was on I'd say you would notice a difference, there are some other technical reasons to do with your ecu why it would feel rough in the beginning too, so yes i'm not surprised you noticed a difference as I could when I switched maps.