Notices

Supercharging? need to know more.

Search this Thread

Old 25 August 2014, 06:46 PM
N/A Power
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Supercharging? need to know more.

Ive been thinking for awhile now on building something a little different from other impreza's, you can find turbo ones anywere at good prices.
I want a supercharged sohc engine with a straight cut gearbox, loud and mean!! and want the lightest setup possible as we know superchargers are not light pieces of kit.

Now here's where things get abit complicated, il just ask questions instead of explaining my thoughts.

Ecu? remap the current non turbo one or buy a turbo ecu and remap that.
Engine, will a open deck block be up the job?
Internals, use the ones from a turbo or go forged?
Compression side??

What's everyones thoughts on this? as soon as I got a sort of parts list il start collecting.
Old 25 August 2014, 07:09 PM
sunny1989
Scooby Regular

There was a guy on here who supercharged a bugeye sport, not sure what progress he has made now..

Its still in the projects section a fair few pages back.
Old 25 August 2014, 07:40 PM
N/A Power
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sunny1989
There was a guy on here who supercharged a bugeye sport, not sure what progress he has made now..

Its still in the projects section a fair few pages back.
Thanks, Ive read it before and just read it again lol. My setup will differ from his slightly.
Old 25 August 2014, 10:52 PM
Jayjay100
Scooby Regular

Sorry I can not help you on this . But would live to no how it go's . If u could keep me up to date . If poss . Nice 1 . Hope you do it .
Old 25 August 2014, 10:54 PM
Jayjay100
Scooby Regular

P.s you was say what engine to use.
Can I ask what is your budget . £ 5k 10k or more .
Old 26 August 2014, 07:42 PM
N/A Power
Scooby Regular

Im not going to put a budget on the build so to speak, collecting bargains is what im going todo.

Engine layout, the plan is to fit the supercharger on the right hand side of the engine and run off the ac belt and tensioner instead of the altenator belt. Reason being I don't want to put strain on the power steering or alt + the ac has a better tensioner just sat there and its easier to reinforce.
I will move the washer bottle to under the scuttle panel (custom one probably) and battery to the boot or the rear passenger footwell.

Now have another idea, the way that the ac pump work with a clutch that can be engaged when pressing a button, integrating that clutch system to the pulley of the supercharger and having a button to press saying ''supercharge''...Maybe that's a pipe dream but would be pretty cool to have
Old 27 August 2014, 06:44 PM
Jayjay100
Scooby Regular

Wow . I don't no if it will work but I can not wate for some of the other members in her that no there stuff start telling u what or wear to go with it.
Not saying no names but there are some members on hear that no there sh*t . So I hope this thread catches there eyes .
U have me hooked on this . When u start will you be puting pic up as well . I recon u r looking at a good 5k plus got to be .

Trending Topics

Old 27 August 2014, 07:57 PM
N/A Power
Scooby Regular

Once I have a parts list and the parts I will start a thread in the projects area. I don't think it will be near 5k lol, supercharger is the most expensive part on this list and one from a Mercedes can be picked up for around £200. Il try grab a bargain one soon.
Old 27 August 2014, 08:55 PM
N/A Power
Scooby Regular

Well unfortunately I wont be going through with this, done an insurance quote for a supercharged engine and its shot up by over 3k. I'm not willing to drive without it fully insured and wouldn't pay that much, insurance and the cost of build combined would be to high for the power gain's.

Shame really.
Old 27 August 2014, 11:32 PM
Jayjay100
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by N/A Power
Well unfortunately I wont be going through with this, done an insurance quote for a supercharged engine and its shot up by over 3k. I'm not willing to drive without it fully insured and wouldn't pay that much, insurance and the cost of build combined would be to high for the power gain's.

Shame really.
Sham . Do you have to tell them lol.
What about doing it but as a track car . May be .
You say the suppercharger is £200 are u sure on that I would say like you it would be the thing that will cost the most . But I was thinking over 1k . Will any suppercharger do . What made you go for the mec one .
You have me thinking now .
If not why not do a twin turbo . Mmmmm . When it come to things like twin turbos & supercharging do u no how it would all fit . If so would love to get some info off you about it.
Old 28 August 2014, 07:41 PM
N/A Power
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jayjay100
Sham . Do you have to tell them lol.
What about doing it but as a track car . May be .
You say the suppercharger is £200 are u sure on that I would say like you it would be the thing that will cost the most . But I was thinking over 1k . Will any suppercharger do . What made you go for the mec one .
You have me thinking now .
If not why not do a twin turbo . Mmmmm . When it come to things like twin turbos & supercharging do u no how it would all fit . If so would love to get some info off you about it.

Went for the Mercedes one as it was the most common and best one for the money. Rotrex etc are stupidly priced.
I would do it as track car but this is my daily.

These cars are plug and play, you could get the twin turbo system from a legacy and it should technically fit an impreza engine.

Anything non standard engine wise my insurance shoots up, I would go illegal but I have the tendancy to get caught lol.
Old 28 August 2014, 09:28 PM
Jayjay100
Scooby Regular

Lol I like the last bit about being caught.
So do u no for sure that the twin turbo from a legacy will fit . I going to look into the . As that is one thing I have always wanted to do a twin turbo WRX . . If u no of any wear that could help me . Or any members can help with this I would be grate full .
It's a sham your not going to do the car when seeing your thread it got me hart pumping & was really looking forward to it . O well . Nice talking to u anyway .
Old 28 August 2014, 09:40 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Lol I like the last bit about being caught. So do u no for sure that the twin turbo from a legacy will fit . I going to look into the . As that is one thing I have always wanted to do a twin turbo WRX . . If u no of any wear that could help me . Or any members can help with this I would be grate full . It's a sham your not going to do the car when seeing your thread it got me hart pumping & was really looking forward to it . O well . Nice talking to u anyway .
People change away from the twin turbo setups to single setup.

You may have better Info over on the legacy forum dude
Old 28 August 2014, 11:30 PM
N/A Power
Scooby Regular

Lol I like the last bit about being caught.
So do u no for sure that the twin turbo from a legacy will fit . I going to look into the . As that is one thing I have always wanted to do a twin turbo WRX . . If u no of any wear that could help me . Or any members can help with this I would be grate full .
It's a sham your not going to do the car when seeing your thread it got me hart pumping & was really looking forward to it . O well . Nice talking to u anyway .

Im not 100% sure as ive never done it only ever heard of people doing it.
Someone will probably chime in on this or you could start a thread, people will know and direct you lol.

You could carry on the supercharger mod? check the thread where someone has already done it.

Or you could try a supercharger turbo hybrid, it will boost straight off the line with no lag...Fast car if done right. Il help you with what I can and sure other will to.