Notices

low boost and weak power

Search this Thread

Old 23 August 2014, 08:37 PM
slimwiltaz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default low boost and weak power

Hey people, some of you may of seen my previous threads, i picked up a wrx bugeye 2003. I was told it had numerous mods on but have been lied to. Anyway i was told that the boost was turned down by a mbc to 0.7bar. It was meant to be a vf34 turbo but after having it looked at its just the stock turbo. Anyway its boosting pretty weak and doesn't feel quick at all. Is it possible that if the boost has been messed with that the restrictor pill could of been removed and this is why im experiencing little boost and loss of power? Mods are toyosport down pipe, decat exhaust, sti tmic. no remap.
Old 23 August 2014, 09:15 PM
SAM-UK300
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

best way is pull the pipes off and check for restrictor pill...
Old 23 August 2014, 09:32 PM
slimwiltaz
Scooby Regular

Had a little feel and couldn't feel it, to dark to do anything else, excited to check tomorrow be happy if it sorts the problem
Old 23 August 2014, 09:42 PM
SAM-UK300
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fingers crossed for you pal...
What you COULD do, if you are CAREFUL is, take off your actuator and either make a little bracket or cable tie your wastegate shut (The swivel arm that the actuator arm goes on to) in theory it should boost to the turbo's maximum potential, which you obviously don't want it to do, basically just feather the throttle and see if the boost goes higher than usual... should give you a better insight as to where the problem is.

No doubt somebody will be along soon and will tell you its not safe etc, but I have done it before and is ok if you are careful, just don't go above your target boost.
Old 23 August 2014, 09:58 PM
XDevil666
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SAM-UK300
fingers crossed for you pal...
What you COULD do, if you are CAREFUL is, take off your actuator and either make a little bracket or cable tie your wastegate shut (The swivel arm that the actuator arm goes on to) in theory it should boost to the turbo's maximum potential, which you obviously don't want it to do, basically just feather the throttle and see if the boost goes higher than usual... should give you a better insight as to where the problem is.

No doubt somebody will be along soon and will tell you its not safe etc, but I have done it before and is ok if you are careful, just don't go above your target boost.
You could do this, take waste gate pipe off, it will boost like a bitch, but will show you the turbo power lol

But again mate don't mess around with too much, you could buy a line with a restrictor pill in from like Scoobyspares

Get a mapper to sort it all out

DLM in darlington has there mapper in next week, he chargers 350 I think all in and would sort your pipes out
Old 24 August 2014, 05:12 PM
slimwiltaz
Scooby Regular

<p>Thanks for replys guys, ive checked the pipes and cant feel the pill. IM booked in for remapping on the 17th of September, he said if the pill is missing hell fit a 3 port boost solenoid but im guessing this is more expense for the sake of a pill. Should i just buy the pill and try it?</p>. Evotune in co Durham by the way

Last edited by slimwiltaz; 24 August 2014 at 05:14 PM.
Old 24 August 2014, 05:38 PM
slimwiltaz
Scooby Regular

these are the pipes i checked for the pill. any idea which pipe it should be in for a 2003 bugeye wrx

Old 24 August 2014, 10:10 PM
slimwiltaz
Scooby Regular

Ok this is weird, after taken the vac pipes off i have found the pill. Putting it back together it is now over boosting at 1.3 bar then dropping to 1.1 feels much quicker to????? Could they of maybe a kink in the pipes are something
Old 25 August 2014, 12:09 AM
*matthewturb2000*
Scooby Regular

maybe a air leak in the vac/inlet system. the pill should be in the short pipe from the turbo nipple to the plastic T piece in your last pic, have you got a pipe joined onto the open end of the t?check the inlet pipe to the turbo they tend to rip a hole at the turbo inlet end
Old 25 August 2014, 09:48 AM
slimwiltaz
Scooby Regular

Ive only got a few weeks to wait then its in for mapping, sure if there's a problem they will find it lol in just very impatient :P
Old 25 August 2014, 10:03 AM
XDevil666
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by slimwiltaz
Ive only got a few weeks to wait then its in for mapping, sure if there's a problem they will find it lol in just very impatient :P
Well if you have the money ready I know there is a mapper around next week, not too far from yourself