Notices

planning some more classic power

Search this Thread

Old 21 August 2014, 08:16 PM
slash920
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default planning some more classic power

after my full service (belts etc) im planning a few tweaks, nothing major like some members on here haha.

advanced auto motives RCM un equal headers and up pipe £500

td05 20g turbo (found on ebay £200 ish) quite shocked at the price for new

bell mouth catted (or de catted) downpipe

remap - whos best?

by then it will be linked up with my other mods currently (uprated fuel pump, uprated oil pump, k&n panel filter, magnex back box and centre section de cat (2 1/2" system).

thoughts really or power expected.

thanks.
Old 21 August 2014, 08:46 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slash920
after my full service (belts etc) im planning a few tweaks, nothing major like some members on here haha.

advanced auto motives RCM un equal headers and up pipe £500

td05 20g turbo (found on ebay £200 ish) quite shocked at the price for new

bell mouth catted (or de catted) downpipe

remap - whos best?

by then it will be linked up with my other mods currently (uprated fuel pump, uprated oil pump, k&n panel filter, magnex back box and centre section de cat (2 1/2" system).

thoughts really or power expected.

thanks.
Depending on your car/engine that will possible destroy your clutch and gearbox and max out your injectors way before the turbo can get to peak boost.

Also remap depends on ECU. Is your ecu mapable? Or do you require a new ECU? Who is best? You won't get a definitive answer but there are a handful that are all well known and very well qualified.
Old 22 August 2014, 08:38 AM
slash920
Scooby Regular

the ecu is mappable my00 uk turbo.

ok with a re phrase whats the next grade up turbo wise from my standard tdo4. as stated im after a tweak not a major 500 bhp machine.

if i was to keep stock turbo would i still see good gains with a remap and above mods? im sort of asking is it worth going one grade higher with the turbo or best to keep stock?

thanks
Old 22 August 2014, 12:10 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by slash920
the ecu is mappable my00 uk turbo.

ok with a re phrase whats the next grade up turbo wise from my standard tdo4. as stated im after a tweak not a major 500 bhp machine.

if i was to keep stock turbo would i still see good gains with a remap and above mods? im sort of asking is it worth going one grade higher with the turbo or best to keep stock?

thanks

The td04 will get to about 280 maybe a bit higher before it runs out of puff. But it will spool quickly. The standard 440 injectors are ok to about 340bhp i believe. Is it still on the standard map? With just the decat, fuel pump and remap your should see 270-280bhp. This will be very noticeable and reliable.

For more you will need another turbo but I wouldn't simply go with a huge TD05, maybe one of the smaller TD05's to see you up to 320-340 but getting to this level may get the injectors close to their max and will cause more wear on your transmission. Although it's the torque that kills it not the bhp. Any harsh treatment of it will ruin the box and once you start talking 350bhp and over that transmissions days are number. Yes people get away with it but they are in the minority.

Have you got a good set of gauges? I wouldn't mod without them as you need to keep an eye on things imo.

Some of this is from memory and third hand info so check with a reputable tuner before buying anything.
Old 22 August 2014, 06:41 PM
slash920
Scooby Regular

Yes still on standard map at the minute. going off your first paragraph seems more of what i want tbh safe reliable power sub 300 bhp. the cars a blast running standard 214bhp tbh.

no ive not got gauges, whats the better type to go for?

fair enough then looks like im going for remap with de cat / headers on standard turbo if i can push nearer to 300 say 280 ish id be happy with that.

its more of the way the car drives as opposed to power i would of thought,, ie more mid range grunt etc...

ordered my uprated fuel pump today a walbro 255lph from advanced automotives so it will be added on the 'to do list'.
Old 22 August 2014, 07:48 PM
Rob669
Scooby Regular

I used Duncan at Race dynamix for mapping my Classic MY00 with a road mapping session. My spec was K&N filter, fuel pump, exhaust with 2 1/2 bore but I kept the cat down pipe. It's a lot better for it. I will need to go to Surrey Rolling Road soon to see what it makes. Expecting 230 to 240 hp, but we'll see.
Old 22 August 2014, 08:05 PM
thefuse
Scooby Newbie

Hi my99 has 2 1/2 inch haywood scott de cat turbo back systerm tdo 4 ecu tek and map and filter and is running 283 bhp.

Andy
Old 23 August 2014, 01:33 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by thefuse
Hi my99 has 2 1/2 inch haywood scott de cat turbo back systerm tdo 4 ecu tek and map and filter and is running 283 bhp.

Andy
Sounds about right. Mine made 271 with a similar spec. And I am sure you will agree it is a massive difference.
Old 23 August 2014, 08:52 PM
cardinal.sin
Scooby Regular

I'd be tempted to go against the grain on this one but hear me out.
Go for the 20g but when getting it mapped, run to the limit of your fuel system/transmission/internals etc
That way you're not buying different turbos everytime you upgrade and upgrading becomes cheaper.
You'd still get the same hit from the turbo (which for me is the most fun bit) without the big power which comes with restrictions :-)
Although I'd definitely get the 20g billet converted. There's a website called BraveHeart that does the conversion. Has anyone here used them?

Last edited by cardinal.sin; 23 August 2014 at 08:56 PM.
Old 23 August 2014, 09:56 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't advise getting a big turbo and using half it's potential ... It will be laggy as hell and is a poor compromise. Also if you start going past 350 on an old uk turbo engine you are going to need to start thinking engine build and we are moving out of 1000-1500 upgrades to 3000-5000 upgrades. Plus a six speed etc etc.
Old 23 August 2014, 11:48 PM
cardinal.sin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FMJ
It will be laggy as hell
That's kinda my point. Run a nice billet 20g to it's potential and the majority of internet forum users will tell you it's not laggy and a great 380bhp-ish turbo. Run one at 320bhp and all of a sudden it's laggy as chuff.
If you listen to the majority on here then you should have the smallest turbo possible to run the power you're at, which is true, but means when you want to up power you've gotta get another bleedin turbo!
Maybe I played Gran Turismo too much but my idea of progression to power deviates from the cool-kids on here.....
Old 24 August 2014, 07:19 AM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

It isn't the figure it makes it's how it gets there. You can have a 20g producing less but it is a bigger wheel so will lag. Better to have the correct size turbo for the application. Otherwise everyone would just fit huge turbos to start with.... The reason they don't is that it doesn't work like that.
Old 24 August 2014, 08:33 AM
Tail Slider
BANNED

Originally Posted by FMJ
It isn't the figure it makes it's how it gets there. You can have a 20g producing less but it is a bigger wheel so will lag. Better to have the correct size turbo for the application. Otherwise everyone would just fit huge turbos to start with.... The reason they don't is that it doesn't work like that.
^This...
Old 24 August 2014, 09:49 AM
joe v3sti
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

You will not need updated headers at that power level. They could infact loose you power.
Standard ones will work better for you
Old 24 August 2014, 10:42 AM
cardinal.sin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FMJ
It isn't the figure it makes it's how it gets there.
Totally agree but for me it'd depend what the end goal was.
If I was looking to run a 20g I'd simply install the turbo setup I desire and run it low boost till I knew the rest of the package could cope.
Upgrade the internals, gearbox etc then wind up the turbo.
That way when I uprate those things I can reap the benefits straight away.
Obviously not a definitive answer but I'd be annoyed if I had to buy a new turbo everytime I wanted 10 more hp.
Horses for courses, swings and roundabouts, opinions are like bumholes.
Old 24 August 2014, 11:05 AM
Tail Slider
BANNED

Originally Posted by cardinal.sin
Totally agree but for me it'd depend what the end goal was.
If I was looking to run a 20g I'd simply install the turbo setup I desire and run it low boost till I knew the rest of the package could cope.
Upgrade the internals, gearbox etc then wind up the turbo.
That way when I uprate those things I can reap the benefits straight away.
Obviously not a definitive answer but I'd be annoyed if I had to buy a new turbo everytime I wanted 10 more hp.
Horses for courses, swings and roundabouts, opinions are like bumholes.
Talk about **** about face.....FMJ is bang on, you never fit a bigger turbo than you actually need, its basic forced induction tuning.
Old 24 August 2014, 03:43 PM
cardinal.sin
Scooby Regular

All I'm saying is that is an option. If the OP plans to build the car to run a big turbo, it's possible to fit said turbo in the first place and not waste money on a turbo that is not wanted. Changing turbos at every state of tune would get expensive!
Old 24 August 2014, 06:27 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cardinal.sin
All I'm saying is that is an option. If the OP plans to build the car to run a big turbo, it's possible to fit said turbo in the first place and not waste money on a turbo that is not wanted. Changing turbos at every state of tune would get expensive!
I do see your point but it's not the way to do things... you won't find a professional outfit that would recommend this or any experts either.

There are already options:

1. Tune what you have and gain another safe but very fun 50bhp/50ftlb.

2. Go big and buy the bits you need to use it.

3. Do 1 and wait until you can afford 2.

4. Go mid range. Buy a medium turbo and suitable mods. Then in the future yes you may need to buy a new turbo but you can sell the old one and when we are talking 400bhp you are going to be looking at forged engines, 6 speeds, stand alone ECU's etc so when your upgrade is £5000 say the cost of the correct turbo isn't really a big factor.

We all sometimes buy a bit for the next upgrade before we are ready but if for example he wants to run a year before he can afford the rest then that's a year of running the wrong turbo which will be unsatisfying and won't run right. If waiting to afford parts is an issue and you want more performance now you are better off going for the basic decat and remap while waiting if you ask me.
Old 24 August 2014, 06:46 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My 2p worth.

It's a 14yr old turbo 2000, start tuning it for 350bhp + and it's going to end in tears.

As mentioned earlier Braveheart sti has some very nice turbos, I'd go for his Billet hybrid TD04 that will put you up to 300/320 bhp, mated to a Harvey smith up pipe it will go like a scolded cat from very low down in the rev range and they're not expensive either. You don't need to change the headers so put that £500 into the turbo and harvey up pipe, speak to alyn at AS performance for the up pipe.

If your sensible about it you won't knacker the engine or box at that level.
Old 25 August 2014, 01:06 AM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

And if you think a £200 20G is going to be any good then you are very much mistaken.