Notices

Straight pipe reduce power?

Search this Thread

Old 04 July 2014, 12:41 AM
Mr.Two
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Straight pipe reduce power?

I've just welded up a 3" straight pipe with shotgun-exit at the rear, and on the first drive out it seems to feel lacking..

Previously had a 3" decat DP and Blitz B-pipe with Kakimoto N1 backbox - I'm sure the boost kicked in harder with the Kakimoto (one 14" resonator with a big chunky jap can).

Is there any chance I could be losing power? I was under the impression that turbo cars thrive on free flowing pipes!

Or is it just less restricted and therefore the turbo is spooling more freely - smoothing out the transition and tricking me?

Will disconnecting the battery for a bit help?

On the bright side - it sounds nuts!!

313bhp Bug WRX with VF34 turbo, ECUtek remap and Apexi panel filter in stock air box.
Old 04 July 2014, 01:15 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there

You will need get yours car at least check'd,if you change the backbox(doesn't matter which one) you will need at least get check by yours mapper and if its required then tweak will be needed

Usually with unamapped exhaust you can loose power,but still I would recommend at least get car check'd

Thanks,Jura
Old 04 July 2014, 01:25 AM
Carnut
Scooby Regular

Yeah need to get it mapped. But could have something to do with the new sound, I find it can sometimes trick you a bit.
Old 04 July 2014, 01:31 AM
Mr.Two
Scooby Regular

Ah ok, more money!

Will it be ok to leave it for now as I've also got pink injectors and sti TMIC ready to go on? Also waiting for inlet manifold spacers and a decent silicone turbo inlet pipe to come up for sale! Then I'll possibly make an aluminium airbox too..

Just want to get it all mapped at the same time

Thanks Jura
Old 04 July 2014, 01:53 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr.Two
Ah ok, more money!

Will it be ok to leave it for now as I've also got pink injectors and sti TMIC ready to go on? Also waiting for inlet manifold spacers and a decent silicone turbo inlet pipe to come up for sale! Then I'll possibly make an aluminium airbox too..

Just want to get it all mapped at the same time

Thanks Jura
Hi there

Adding injectors on yours car will required straight away mapping and not sure if I would risk driving car with larger than stock injectors for long time

Yes you can fit larger TMIC(STi) and drive without the problem and adding silicone inlet yes you can fit too without the problems

Good silicone inlet hard to say,they're expensive,those cheap eBay are not so good,but they suffer under boost and they can collapse,due this saving for bit better inlet hose I would recommend or if you are good with tools,you can make yours own one from intercooler pipework as we run previously

Thanks,Jura
Old 04 July 2014, 03:33 AM
scooby87
Scooby Regular

Get everything ready, fit it the day before then drive to your mapper very gently is probably the best option. As said not a great idea to be driving around with those additions.

One of my previous mapping sessions saw me fit the turbo, exhaust and injectors the day before ready then just drove down off boost, slow and steady.
Old 04 July 2014, 10:08 PM
Mr.Two
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a plan!

I've been in touch with Jolly Green Monster who are apparently mobile and seem to be highly rated. Also Zen Performance are only 8 miles away from me

At some point I'm going to have to give up on the WRX and go buy an STI though in my quest for more power

Thanks