Notices

coolant smell, 53 wrx

Search this Thread

Old 30 April 2014, 10:35 PM
oli_p
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant smell, 53 wrx

seem to be getting a coolant smell from within the engine bay.
Cars not using any water, or over heating.

There is some dried coolant on top of the engine, and some on the radiator, from when I changed my coolant temp sensor, would this still cause a smell when its hot??

Nothing seems to be leaking onto the under tray, and can't see anything leaking.
Have had the system pressure tested and is holding pressure fine, and no sign of any leaks.

Any thing else to check or look out for?? As mentioned above, would dried coolant still cause a smell??

thanks
Old 30 April 2014, 10:42 PM
maydew
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by oli_p
seem to be getting a coolant smell from within the engine bay.
Cars not using any water, or over heating.

There is some dried coolant on top of the engine, and some on the radiator, from when I changed my coolant temp sensor, would this still cause a smell when its hot??

Nothing seems to be leaking onto the under tray, and can't see anything leaking.
Have had the system pressure tested and is holding pressure fine, and no sign of any leaks.

Any thing else to check or look out for?? As mentioned above, would dried coolant still cause a smell??

thanks
just check the top corners of the rad as they can leak slightly there other than that just try wash with clean water where its dried and keep an eye on levels
Old 30 April 2014, 10:46 PM
oli_p
Scooby Regular

wouldn't that cause a pressure drop, during pressure test if rad was leaking?? Would I actually see water seaping from it?? or is is a case of just clean the dried coolant off any looking out for fresh coolant stains??
Old 30 April 2014, 11:18 PM
Fudgey
Scooby Regular

On the header i think it was the return from the turbo, smallish diameter pipe. Where the pipe joins onto it with the engine running if i just pushed down on the hose it would weep a bit. Under pressure i guess it was leaking slightly.

Cause was the black paint had bubbled/corroded and was hidden by the hose. Popped hose off, cleaned up with emery cloth and it was fine after.
Old 01 May 2014, 05:20 AM
oli_p
Scooby Regular

best place for a 1.3 bar rad cap?
Old 03 May 2014, 03:32 PM
oli_p
Scooby Regular

was just all the dried coolant that I could smell, it had splashed all over the radiator and onto top of the engine. gave it a quick wipe over, just smell of warm water now lol, so going to go over it again and drive it all off properly this time around
Old 03 May 2014, 05:14 PM
oli_p
Scooby Regular

another quick question, when bleeding the system, your supposed to leave header cap off and heater on hot.
Would it matter if I forgot to do the heater part?? Ran the car got all the bubbles out of the system, temp gauge doesn't go over half way, fans kick in a little over that.
Heaters still blow warm etc