Notices

Expected bhp/jetex filter

Search this Thread

Old 29 May 2002, 09:38 AM
dlehtihet
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

I recently bough a Magnex twin/DP (de-cat) and a Jetex performance air filter. I already have the Magnex 6x4 backbox. My car is a my00 GT (Turbo). What kind of bhp would i expect with this setup? If i would add a Tek2 to the mix, how would it look then?

I'm also curious about if the Jetex filter would mess up the MAF or if it is a "secure" filter to use. I know already from reading on this excellent forum that the turbo spools up much quicker with the DP fitted, but is it just "psychological" or is it a real bhp/torque improvement?

Regards

Daniel
Old 29 May 2002, 10:38 AM
SoreHead
Scooby Regular

I'd be interested in opinions on the DP too. One thing to be aware of is that quicker spin up doesn't mean more bhp but will mean faster acceleration. On the MR2 turbo pre '94 they used a CT26 turbo and it put out 225/235ps (depending on year). After '94 they fitted a CT20 turbo which spun up MUCH faster. The bhp was only up slightly to 245ps (241bhp). The result was .7 secs off the 0-62mph time and an incredible difference in driveability (is that how you spell that?)

If it does improve the spin-up time it'll be on my short list of mods to be done in the next month so if anyone can answer that nice chaps question you'll be making two men happy. Just think how good that would make you feel.

Also, on a MY01, will replacing the DP leave the main CAT intact?
Old 29 May 2002, 12:23 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

No offence but this sounds a bit bollox to me!

0-60 runs are done at max throttle.

The second you ditch the clutch the turbo is in its sweet spot and the load emans it is generating boost.

for prrof of this, craig H had the biggest turbo you could fit in the standard location at the time which didnt do much below 4000rpm, yet his 0-60 and 0-100 were the fastest people had seen properly measured at the time, and probably still are.
Old 29 May 2002, 03:23 PM
SoreHead
Scooby Regular

The -'93 MR2 and the '94+ MR2 weight the same and with the exception of the turbo and engine positioning there's 10bhp (ish) in the difference. You can full throttle all you like but the turbo still needs to spin up and spin up again after a gear change.
If it spins up quicker then you will accelerate quicker. In the case of your mate with the big turbo I would image there was a combination of other bits fitted too (DP, dump valve, intake etc etc) so that's not really a comparison. If he dropped the dump valve and DP and bits there would be a drop in acceleration. It's a combination of things that makes the run.

On the bollox thing, go search the internet. I have the reviews on new and old on my old PC but I got them from the internet (japanese but you can read the numbers).
Ignore all mention of the US version with the 200bhp. It's completely different. You're looking for one of 225ps/235ps/245ps. The 0-100kph you'll see are 5.9secs for the earlier on and as low as 5.2secs for the latest model (one is 5.46secs if you want exact numbers).

I don't read max power and I don't do max power **** to my car. When I mod something I research first and NEVER believe claimed figures. When I dyno a car I do it before and after mods on the same dyno in as close to the same weather conditions as possible and I only pay heed to the "at the wheels" measurement as the claims at the crank ar pants. Can't be measured on a rolling road and they just use a general calc to guess it.

If I'm talking bollox on the numbers it's because I was fed bollox by a magazine so you can take it up with them. But considering I've owned and driven both for 3 years each and I ran the Irish branch of the UK MR2 Club I can most definitely say that, in the real world, if the turbo spins up earlier and quicker you accelerate faster.
Old 29 May 2002, 03:26 PM
SoreHead
Scooby Regular

By the way that's assuming you haven't changed the gearing to allow the 0-60 run in first gear

And it doesn't answer the original question.

[Edited by SoreHead - 5/29/2002 3:28:32 PM]
Old 29 May 2002, 03:35 PM
Mo
Scooby Regular

Location: the fastest rentals in town......0-100mph in 10 seconds
Daniel,

If you look at the dyno site and have a look at the torque curves of cars similar with and without a downpipe you will see that there is a greater area under the curve. In the real world this equates to much improved driveability which is what counts.
Old 29 May 2002, 04:18 PM
SoreHead
Scooby Regular

Which site is that Mo?
Thanks

Trending Topics

Old 29 May 2002, 05:35 PM
Mo
Scooby Regular

Location: the fastest rentals in town......0-100mph in 10 seconds
Thumbs up

There's also a link at the very top of the page
Old 30 May 2002, 04:25 PM
SoreHead
Scooby Regular

It's interesting to see that some people lost power with certain mods and the same mod on another car gave a gain.

I would guess weather played a part??