Notices

Dump valve removal

Search this Thread

Old 14 April 2014, 01:07 PM
RSA99
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dump valve removal

I have limited mechanical capabilities but, I would like to remove the HKS dump valve fitted to my 2007 WRX and put it back to standard.

Is this an easy job and what parts am I likely to need to put it back to standard?

Thanks,
Rich.
Old 14 April 2014, 01:17 PM
dabiscuit
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very easy job. All you need is a socket wrench or a spanner to fit the diameter of the bolts. Think it's 13m or 12m.

Might be worth de-greasing the inlet IF you want to recirc (to help you get it on) otherwise the new one you put in should come with a plug

Why you getting rid? What sort is it? If so I might be interested in a purchase
Old 14 April 2014, 01:27 PM
RSA99
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to be thick but, by 'recirc' do you mean just plumbing the pressure pipe back in somewhere?

I am not replacing it with a new valve (unless I have misunderstood and there is a valve there as standard but, it just doesn't make that noise).

I will definitely be selling it and I think it is quite a good HKS model.
I will look up the model for you tonight as I still have the box given to me by the previous owner of the car who had just fitted it.

I am getting rid of it as having had a few brushes with the law I think it is the wrong side of attracting too much attention at the moment ;-)
Am I right in assuming they don't actually do much (the valve, not the law)?
Old 14 April 2014, 01:39 PM
dabiscuit
Scooby Regular

I'm not too knowledgeable about the science of it, but there are two tubes that go into a recirc valve. Some people like to recirc the air that goes into the turbo, but I assume that air gets dirty so rather than dirty the turbo air (which will just get hotter) the dump valve just spits it out in a nice sounding chirp. The bung goes into the larger pipe. If you are putting the original in it will probably need both tube to go back into the valve.

Surprised the fuzz have rattled you about it. I had one on a 2010 wrx sti (sold it as too expensive) and it was loud and got no trouble, mind you they come in many different shapes sizes and most importantly noises

Is it an HKS SQV?

Edit: The valve doesn't do that much, some people argue it reduces power as you lose turbulent air but the differences are negligable 1 or 2 bhp

Last edited by dabiscuit; 14 April 2014 at 01:42 PM.
Old 14 April 2014, 01:56 PM
adz556
Scooby Regular

The factory car had a recirculating valve that fitted onto the top mounted intercooler. If the previous owner fitted a HKS item, they will had to bung the pipe that goes from the pipe underneath the intercooler that goes to the air intake. If they have and it hasn't been cut short, it is an easy job otherwise you will need another hose. Did the previous owner supply the factory recirc valve with the sale? If not, you'll need one of those as well.
Old 14 April 2014, 11:03 PM
DmcL
Scooby Regular

hardest part of fitting the OEM recirc valve back on is getting the hose onto the valve and that b*starding clamp on the hose lol