Notices

Whats needed to fit a GT3582 to an EJ25?

Search this Thread

Old 13 April 2014, 04:55 PM
DmcL
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats needed to fit a GT3582 to an EJ25?

just out of curiosity what all is involved/needed to fit a GT3582? asking as i have one collecting dust here which is internally gated. also what sort of HP range would it be good for on the EJ255 and would it likely be very laggy compared to say a VF43 or TD05/TD06?
Old 13 April 2014, 05:27 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need a lot of supporting kit to run a big turbo like that and a 2.5, unless it has a closed deck and is forged, will more than likely knack itself as they're only really safe up to 400 ish. A gt3582 on a good 2.5 at sensible boost would be well over 500 of each.
Old 13 April 2014, 05:38 PM
DmcL
Scooby Regular

i was thinking it may be a tad on the big side.. i got it for my old 325i as the 6 pot in them can take 500+ on standard internals so i wanted to overbuild the setup, work out any bugs then get it up to 300 and push on up towards 500 from there. heard people use them in the skylines and can hit numbers in/around the 600 mark.

just thinking as i have it laying around and the old 325i probably wont be back in action any time soon i could maybe use it on the WRX albeit at much lower boost than the turbo is capable of so as to not destroy the engine. so im guessing compared to the TD04 it would be laggy as hell then?

what all is involved in terms of actually plumbing it in though? are there adaptors for the standard manifold or would i need a different manifold alltogether? also would it be easy enough to mate up to the normal layout exhaust system or would that need to be modified significantly enough to warrant mentioning also? other thing is that the GT3582 i have is not water cooler so how would that work on the EJ? just plumb the water lines into one another or remove and cap off or something?

trying to gauge whether its cheaper to buy a direct fit turbo or to work with what i have here already. i would like to mildly build the engine at some point but god knows when that would be. id love the thought of a 5-600hp scoob but it would take alot of saving and alot of time to build something reliable that i can have fun with.. would be talking forged slugs, probably block work as you say and other misc bits and peices done in the good old "while were in there" spirit plus most likely needing something like a PPG gearset so my 5 speed doesnt implode the first time i give it some stick. it would be an epic setup but would also cost an epic amount of money as well lol

Last edited by DmcL; 13 April 2014 at 05:41 PM.
Old 13 April 2014, 06:52 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Your better off buying a direct fit turbo,in the long run to fit a Gt3582 turbo and achieve the full benefit of it,it is all about the supporting mods,and that is where the cost really comes in.SJ.
Old 13 April 2014, 06:56 PM
DmcL
Scooby Regular

yea all to well aware of the cost for a build to support that sort of HP level. just curious whats involved in actual fitting as it would mean the turbo side of things would be future proofed if i ever got around to forging and wanting to go for some hefty HP figures.

would probably be a tad laggy though?
Old 13 April 2014, 08:49 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Very laggy!!!your going about things the wrong way your thinking Like this as you already have the turbo with you,but the way to do things first is supporting mods I.e brakes suspension etc... Forged engine then a turbo to suit,the turbo to suit a standard Subaru is already matched to the car from the factory,my advice would be to think out exactly what power you want to achieve and how much money you are looking to spend then go from there,if your not looking to forge I would sell the Gt3582 and invest the money on different mods needed around the car.SJ.
Old 14 April 2014, 12:28 AM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Basically to strap that to the car you would need rotated uppipe and down pipe. I believe these come with an option of desired flanges.

And then mapping, if that's the answer you want then there it is but as said it will grenade it's self.
Old 14 April 2014, 12:41 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Infected by sti
Basically to strap that to the car you would need rotated uppipe and down pipe. I believe these come with an option of desired flanges.

And then mapping, if that's the answer you want then there it is but as said it will grenade it's self.
He said it's internally gated so it is designed for a standard position on certain cars Subarus included,but as I said before,fitting it because you have it is just a nonsense,Without supporting mods and a forged rebuild that can take the pressure,it will be like strapping a jet engine to a skate board if you get my drift.SJ.

Last edited by stonejedi; 14 April 2014 at 12:42 AM.
Old 14 April 2014, 11:11 PM
DmcL
Scooby Regular

it wont grenade itself.. im not talking about potentially putting on a huge turbo and then boosting it to high heaven. if i were to decide to fit it id be running boost levels safe for the engine as it stands presently. it would lag and it would be way under the capabilities of the turbo but it would mean no fannying around with bigger turbo's in future if i forged it, etc. its not really an idea i intend on following up though. im just curious whats involved with the deviation from the normal turbo flange on these cars and have heard menion of rotated setups and GT turbo's before.

id like to get up in the 350bhp ballpark, maybe nearer 400 and then if wanting more id start looking into forging options, etc. i know this turbo would do that and then some as i bought it specifically because it would support 500 and probably a bit more on my old BMW that im building to be lairy as f**k.

i wont be selling it as its for the BMW which can (or will be able to when its together again) handle half a ton of HP, just got to thinking that i fancy 350-400 from the WRX and have a turbo sitting here doing nothing since the BMW is long from being finished and needs bodywork and a multitude of other things doing not to mention work done to the head, the head O ringed, arp studs, yadda, yadda so would be some time off before thats near ready for the road. providing i keep the scoob longer term i was thinking id probably go a bit nuts on it as i am with the BMW once the BMW is finished and driving and all bugs ironed out.

Last edited by DmcL; 14 April 2014 at 11:19 PM.
Old 14 April 2014, 11:58 PM
jazzyjembreaze
Scooby Regular

If 350-400 is your goal put a STI MY06-7 VF43 on , standard location
Never heard anybody wanting to go rotated at that level
So your new to the sub world judging by your posts ?
You have a MY06 EJ55 correct ?
& your toying with all these options of turbo intake etc etc
There are a million threads on here giving you options / some good / some bad
Is your car stock at the mo ?
Old 15 April 2014, 12:12 AM
DmcL
Scooby Regular

well as you know its never enough but hearing what others have run without imploding pistons, etc. it seems 350-400 are the magic numbers as any more is no mans land for pistons and gearbox.

im always toying with ideas tbh but i have a fair idea of what i can and cant do. doesnt mean i cant look into or ask questions just out of curiosity. whats the idea behind a rotated setup? are there no proper big turbo's in our fitment or what?

car is standard for the sake of argument. chucked out 256bhp on the rollers with a 3 inch catback and HKS panel filter.

realistig turbo upgrade wise i have been looking into TD05's or perhaps TD06 but recently started to think about a VF43. what TD05/6 would be roughly equivalent to the VF43 if there is one thats a similar size? havent looked at anything relating to the VF specs yet so i dont know. also is it easier/cheaper to pick up a VF43?

my realistic plans for the car are a turbo upgrade (TD05/6 or VF43), phenolic inlet spacers, marginally cooler T-stat or tridon high flow T-stat, STi pinks, walbro 255, possibly STi or aftermarket TMIC, removing as many cats as i can and still pass an MOT (hoping i can run decat turbo back and just keep pre turbo cat) and of course tuning as that goes without saying. may have left out a few little bits and peices but thats the jist of it. i figure that should hopefully see me into the mid 300's.
Old 15 April 2014, 12:43 AM
jazzyjembreaze
Scooby Regular

Sorry I miss read / standard location turbos / thought you wanted rotated
I run a MD321v billet standard location on EJ257 quick spool & nice power curve , car is bullet proof . But it's took a lot of £ to get it that way . Isn't the case of just strapping a big turbo on & hey ho
Old 15 April 2014, 01:02 AM
DmcL
Scooby Regular

oh im all too aware of the money pit that is the EJ series engine, moreso the 2.5.

i was asking about T3 fitment and what it entails, which i gather is a rotated setup.

realistically i will be looking about TD05/06 or VF43 turbo's as an upgrade to get me where i want to be. are there no turbo's that fit the TD/VF flange and are of a similar size to the 3582 and is that why big power builds go rotated or are there benefits to running rotated and thats why they do it?

btw im not that new.. here nearly a year and when i get a new toy im constantly looking into things and reading up on things. i sus stuff out rather quickly that way. do you not remember i bought your SAI system last year as the valve on one bank on my WRX decided to **** itself? :P
Old 15 April 2014, 01:22 AM
jazzyjembreaze
Scooby Regular

lateralperformance.co.uk/.../md321v__500bhp
Old 15 April 2014, 01:29 AM
jazzyjembreaze
Scooby Regular

http://lateralperformance.co.uk/prod...______________