Notices
Essex Subaru Owners Club The official dedicated forum for Essex Subaru Owners Club Events.

What do I need to do ?

Search this Thread

Old 22 December 2013, 10:36 AM
wrx.si
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do I need to do ?

Not had my scooby long but what some more power its all ready had a remap miltec system hks panel filter . But what about 350 bhp so just what some help on where to go next any help will be good
Old 22 December 2013, 10:49 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Hello mate,have a l@@k in the projects section it should give you a few ideas of what is needed for various levels of power,You might get a better reply if you put up what year and model Subaru you own.SJ.
Old 22 December 2013, 11:01 AM
wrx.si
Scooby Regular

Sorry lol it's a 02 wrx
Old 22 December 2013, 11:21 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

You already have the exhaust sorted so really the only things major you need is Bigger injectors and turbo and a remap to suit,also consider upgrading your running gear brakes suspension etc...SJ.
Old 22 December 2013, 11:33 AM
wrx.si
Scooby Regular

It on Eibach Coillover and brimbos all ready so that's that bit done lol
Old 22 December 2013, 11:35 AM
wrx.si
Scooby Regular

As for turbo and injectors what ones do I need as this is all new to me all ways been a ford man lol
Old 22 December 2013, 11:36 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

de-cat up-pipe (sti one for about £40)

sti pink injectors (£100)

vf35 turbo from an sti (£300)

walbro pump (£70)

sti top-mount intercooler with under bonnet scoop tray from an sti (£150)

sti inlet manifold to delete the tgv (£60)

ngkpfr7b plugs (£30)

as the jedi said,upgrade your brakes/suspension to cope with the extra bhp

front brembos are a popular upgrade from an sti as is the sti shocks and springs but second hand bc coilovers go for around £450 so may be better off with them

decent rubber is a must aswell

make sure you have a decent clutch aswell-exedy pink box is a good choice

also make sure the engine is in good health and up to date with cambelt etc
Old 22 December 2013, 11:41 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrx.si
It on Eibach Coillover and brimbos all ready so that's that bit done lol
Good lad,I've never heard of brimbos before but if they work as good as the brembo calipers you'll be fineSJ.
Old 22 December 2013, 11:47 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

As for turbo and injectors what ones do I need as this is all new to me all ways been a ford man lol
As shrek has said VF35 turbo is a nice upgrade for the wrx add to that some sti pink injectors,if you are going to change your top mount intercooler for the sti one that's also a good mod but to be honest I would go front mount as you can pick them up now pretty cheap and as your going to definitely need a remap for the turbo and injector change anyway it will fit in nicely,also a 3 port solenoid is also a good up grade and I would recommend doing it at the same time as your other mods before the remap.SJ.
Old 22 December 2013, 11:49 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stonejedi
As shrek has said VF35 turbo is a nice upgrade for the wrx add to that some sti pink injectors,if you are going to change your top mount intercooler for the sti one that's also a good mod but to be honest I would go front mount as you can pick them up now pretty cheap and as your going to definitely need a remap for the turbo and injector change anyway it will fit in nicely,also a 3 port solenoid is also a good up grade and I would recommend doing it at the same time as your other mods before the remap.SJ.
ah forgot to mention a 3-port
Old 22 December 2013, 12:15 PM
wrx.si
Scooby Regular

Good lad,I've never heard of brimbos before but if they work as good as the brembo calipers you'll be fineSJ.
Lol brembo lol
Old 22 December 2013, 12:17 PM
wrx.si
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the shreksta
de-cat up-pipe (sti one for about £40)

sti pink injectors (£100)

vf35 turbo from an sti (£300)

walbro pump (£70)

sti top-mount intercooler with under bonnet scoop tray from an sti (£150)

sti inlet manifold to delete the tgv (£60)

ngkpfr7b plugs (£30)

as the jedi said,upgrade your brakes/suspension to cope with the extra bhp

front brembos are a popular upgrade from an sti as is the sti shocks and springs but second hand bc coilovers go for around £450 so may be better off with them

decent rubber is a must aswell

make sure you have a decent clutch aswell-exedy pink box is a good choice

also make sure the engine is in good health and up to date with cambelt etc

Thanks for the shopping list lol are this a easy fit can I do this my self ?
Old 22 December 2013, 12:18 PM
wrx.si
Scooby Regular

And what's a tgv?
Old 22 December 2013, 01:26 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the shopping list lol are this a easy fit can I do this my self ?
Yeah pretty straight forward bolt on mods if your mechanically minded.TGV = tumble generator valve.SJ.
Old 22 December 2013, 07:25 PM
'7'
Scooby Regular

Learning how to drive it properly will reduce that list by half. Book a course with Andy Walsh at North Weald. Best money you will ever spend.....
Old 22 December 2013, 07:43 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

also get a set of ported headers off alyn@asperformance
Old 22 December 2013, 11:39 PM
wrx.si
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by '7'
Learning how to drive it properly will reduce that list by half. Book a course with Andy Walsh at North Weald. Best money you will ever spend.....
Thanks will look in to that one
Old 23 December 2013, 12:15 AM
Dave Y
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 133 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by '7'
Does he have a website?
Old 23 December 2013, 09:09 AM
'7'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dave Y
Does he have a website?
www.carlimits.com

Have a look on youtube for some clips. I guarantee you will learn more about how to drive quick from a day with Andy.
Old 23 December 2013, 09:11 AM
'7'
Scooby Regular

This is me.
Old 27 December 2013, 06:28 AM
e6tony
Scooby Regular

Not had my scooby long but what some more power its all ready had a remap miltec system hks panel filter . But what about 350 bhp so just what some help on where to go next any help will be good
Hi mate,even with all the mods mentioned on this thread you still wont acheive 350bhp and if you really want to you would need to do some engine internals to make sure its strong enough which can be quite costly(forged pistons,balanced crank etc). The easiest and cheapest way to acheive 350bhp is to actually buy an sti as most of the recommended mods for you were from an sti it makes sence to buy one,you will then have around 310bhp instantly and only need bolt on mods and a remap to get the 350bhp you were looking for,imho stick to your wrx(5 speed gearbox and smaller faster spooling turbo) and go on a driving course.
Old 27 December 2013, 06:47 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by e6tony
Hi mate,even with all the mods mentioned on this thread you still wont acheive 350bhp and if you really want to you would need to do some engine internals to make sure its strong enough which can be quite costly(forged pistons,balanced crank etc). The easiest and cheapest way to acheive 350bhp is to actually buy an sti as most of the recommended mods for you were from an sti it makes sence to buy one,you will then have around 310bhp instantly and only need bolt on mods and a remap to get the 350bhp you were looking for,imho stick to your wrx(5 speed gearbox and smaller faster spooling turbo) and go on a driving course.
You can get a WRX up to 350 but I would have to agree with tony that not exactly with those mods,but he still would get a quicker car with the before mentioned modifications.To be honest it's easy to tell someone to get a STI but find comments like that a bit thin if you get my drift as he already owns his car and has asked for advice on modifying his WRX.SJ.
Old 27 December 2013, 06:52 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

wrx.si heres a thread that might give you some ideas about what can be done to the wrx that might be helpful to you http://www.type-ra.com/subaru-forum/...st-mule.11932/ but I also do agree with '7' that maybe some advanced driving technics for your car would also be a good way of getting the most out of it as they say you can always learn more.SJ.
Old 27 December 2013, 06:57 AM
e6tony
Scooby Regular

350bhp in an '03 wrx is just about acheivable but not safely imho(i have one as pictured even though it looks like a hawk) i have had all the advise and more about getting the most out of a wrx engine and in the end had to conclude that the internals MUST be upgraded to acheive 350 SAFELY AND RELIABLY and the cost of doing this was not worth the reward,if you add up the cost of all the sti mods and mapping etc it really would be more cost effective to buy an sti especially in the present economic climate and if more power is still wanted the forged pistons in the sti(not all of them so be careful)can withstand the extra load.

Like i said not being argumentative just trying to give the op as many opinions as possible and the right information.

I have been a vehicle technician for 25 years and a scooby owner for 6 years(and i still own it to all you treators out there lol) but if you really want the low down on exactly what you should or shouldnt do bhp wise then frayz or jolly green monster are the people to ask

ps or `53` if he ever remembers all that he knows lol
Old 27 December 2013, 06:59 AM
e6tony
Scooby Regular

You can get a WRX up to 350 but I would have to agree with tony that not exactly with those mods,but he still would get a quicker car with the before mentioned modifications.To be honest it's easy to tell someone to get a STI but find comments like that a bit thin if you get my drift as he already owns his car and has asked for advice on modifying his WRX.SJ.
oh sorry forgot to mention,maybe you could read the last line of my post again and i am sure i said KEEP YOUR WRX
Old 27 December 2013, 07:12 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

350bhp in an '03 wrx is just about acheivable but not safely imho(i have one as pictured even though it looks like a hawk) i have had all the advise and more about getting the most out of a wrx engine and in the end had to conclude that the internals MUST be upgraded to acheive 350 SAFELY AND RELIABLY and the cost of doing this was not worth the reward,if you add up the cost of all the sti mods and mapping etc it really would be more cost effective to buy an sti especially in the present economic climate and if more power is still wanted the forged pistons in the sti(not all of them so be careful)can withstand the extra load.

Like i said not being argumentative just trying to give the op as many opinions as possible and the right information.

I have been a vehicle technician for 25 years and a scooby owner for 6 years(and i still own it to all you treators out there lol) but if you really want the low down on exactly what you should or shouldnt do bhp wise then frayz or jolly green monster are the people to ask

ps or `53` if he ever remembers all that he knows lol
What you need to understand is that people that buy a WRX purchase them for all kinds of reasons,for example there cheaper to buy,cost less to insure,maybe they just like a 5 speed box the list goes on.i don't give out advice unless I know which I do I have been in the Subaru scene for years now having brought my car in 2004 and have been modifying it from the word go,so know what works and what dose not.I also have been driving turbocharged cars and building engines from the early nineties so put that in your pipe and smoke itSJ.
Old 27 December 2013, 07:17 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

oh sorry forgot to mention,maybe you could read the last line of my post again and i am sure i said KEEP YOUR WRX
And yes I did see that you said "STICK" with your wrx,which is good advice as he has already purchased it.SJ.
Old 27 December 2013, 10:12 AM
wrx.si
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the help like I said this is my first scooby so any help is good and it's all ways good to get other people's help and see what thay say you have all give in me a lot to think about .

But all I what is some more power out of my car I'm not going for the would fastest wrx but I would like a bit more power form her lol .

But thanks for all you help but keep it coming !!!!!
Old 27 December 2013, 11:40 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the help like I said this is my first scooby so any help is good and it's all ways good to get other people's help and see what thay say you have all give in me a lot to think about .

But all I what is some more power out of my car I'm not going for the would fastest wrx but I would like a bit more power form her lol .

But thanks for all you help but keep it coming !!!!!
The advice that has been given is as far as I would personally really take the WRX engine without going down the rebuild forged bottom end route,I can give you more advice but it will require a rebuild or a bottom end transplant from a STI which by your own Emission you are not going to take that road unless your looking at achieving big power and have a endless supply of cash££££when it comes to modifying you always should start how you aim to finishby deciding your top bhp from the beginning that you are looking to achieve and then select which mods you need to get there.SJ.
Old 28 December 2013, 06:44 AM
e6tony
Scooby Regular

What you need to understand is that people that buy a WRX purchase them for all kinds of reasons,for example there cheaper to buy,cost less to insure,maybe they just like a 5 speed box the list goes on.i don't give out advice unless I know which I do I have been in the Subaru scene for years now having brought my car in 2004 and have been modifying it from the word go,so know what works and what dose not.I also have been driving turbocharged cars and building engines from the early nineties so put that in your pipe and smoke itSJ.
Maybe you shouldnt be so opinionated when giving advise then if you THINK you are such an expert !!!

The op stated he wants 350bhp out of a wrx on standard internals and that simply isnt acheivable safely and reliably and that is the RIGHT advise whether you like it or not !!!

Driving and modifying a subaru really dosnt make you an expert on them neither does driving turbocharged cars and building ford cvh engines wouldnt make you an expert on a murcielago now would it? lol

I dont have a pipe so will have a cigarette for you instead i hope thats ok for ya lol