Notices
Essex Subaru Owners Club The official dedicated forum for Essex Subaru Owners Club Events.

M25 cameras

Search this Thread

Old 14 December 2012, 09:31 AM
romford-boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M25 cameras

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...in-a-year.html

Technical and legal difficulties have prevented the Highways Agency from switching on the network of 36 new digital cameras intended to enforce variable speed limits on the London orbital motorway.
The failure was discovered by the AOL website, which had hoped to identify the biggest money raiser on the 117-mile long road, only to find that the cameras had caught no speeders at all.
Safety groups condemned “incompetence” by the agency, which owns the cameras although enforcement is handled by police forces along the route.
With around 500,000 drivers using the M25 every day, it is one of Europe’s busiest motorways. Cameras have been used to catch speeding drivers on it since 1995, and the network has grown during the intervening years.
They are supplemented by police patrols, which continue to enforce the limit, even if the overhead cameras do not.

The first of the digital cameras were installed in 2009, but a Highways Agency spokesman admitted that it had still not received statutory authority to use them on the Surrey, Hertfordshire and Essex stretches.
They need separate authorisation from the previous generation of cameras.
On other parts of the M25, where authority has been given, the difficulties were described as purely “technical” relating to the upgrade of the older generation of “wet film” cameras to the new digital devices. The cameras in Surrey, Hertfordshire and Essex have not even been tested yet.
The agency was working with police “as a matter of urgency” to address the situation, the spokesman said.
The problem did not apply to temporary average-speed cameras used to monitor stretches of roadworks.
The spokesman was unable to say how much the overhead cameras had cost or when it would be able to use them.
But he added: “The mandatory speed limits shown by the red rings are still enforceable and the onus remains on drivers to obey all mandatory speed limits.”
Jim Fitzpatrick, Labour’s road safety spokesman, said: “This revelation is unbelievable.
“The M25 is already used as a racetrack by a number of reckless drivers. If there is one place where we need working cameras it is on that stretch of motorway.”
Edmund King, the president of the AA, also expressed surprise.
“You do see drivers slow down when they pass under the gantries. We know there were some concerns when the signs were changing whether the cameras were keeping up,” he said.
Robert Gifford, executive director of the Parliamentary Advisory Council for Transport Safety, added: “This sounds like a perfect combination of ****-ups.”
Claire Armstrong, of the anti-camera group, Safespeed, seized on the agency’s embarrassment.
“If they believe the cameras are doing any good why aren’t they using them?” she asked. “If they do not believe that they are doing any good they should remove them and stop the paranoia they create by their presence.”
Old 14 December 2012, 12:05 PM
funkmasterjay
Scooby Regular

I agree with temporary SPECS cameras on roadworks as it keeps the flow of traffic constant. I remember when the Essex stretch was being wideden - the truckers used to try and push me along when I was doing 50.

What I would really like to know is what the stats are for deaths on the 'race track - or M25 ring' between this period and before they were introduced. This is purely for money. How uncanny that the 'spokesman' did not have the costs to hand.

Another thing, the M25 is barely clear for a long enough time to go at a decent speed. Even if speed limits were increased to 80, manufacturers would have to alter the gearing for new cars to be more efficient at that speed. Many of us, especially with 5 speeders will cruise at 70.

One last thing, I would rather money was invested in more police officers (doesn't have to be traffic) to be on the roads so that the catch bad drivers, uninsured drivers or unroadworthy cars. These are more of a danger - but don't generate enough revenue.

J
Old 14 December 2012, 01:13 PM
Scoooby300
Scooby Regular

with any luck Mr Fitzpatrick will go after this and leave tunnel runs alone now he's found a new thing to rant about
Old 14 December 2012, 01:46 PM
funkmasterjay
Scooby Regular

Lol good point.
Old 14 December 2012, 02:06 PM
chet123
Scooby Regular

anyway, do let us know when they are activated?
Old 14 December 2012, 05:08 PM
Bean1984
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

So how long till jim fitzpatrick decides that hes best friends the boy racers are no longer allowed to do "The M25 Run." On that note think its time we organised one
Old 18 December 2012, 04:22 PM
simon57
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chet123
LOL..that whats we really wanna know....
Old 21 May 2013, 08:07 AM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chet123
Anyone know if they are activated yet?

I was driving on the M1, doing 70-75mph, all of a sudden there a was a 50mph sign on one of the gantries for no apparent reason whatsoever. Not more than 200metres further it was back to national speed limit. Everyone ignored it and sailed past at 70+mph but thought I would try and see whether this one was supported by a camera, just before I went under it I saw that it was, so I instinctively found myself braking fairly hard. I still went under doing 60mph.

These things are a danger. They hold no credibility and will either end up fining people or causing a pile up as people stare up working out if there is a camera located or not before slamming on the brakes.
Old 21 May 2013, 09:32 AM
DantheMan2605
Scooby Regular

I know some on the m1 work, southbound towards m25.

I've known the m25 ones haven't worked since they were installed.

I can see why my car tax goes up every year tbh, all this 'improvement works' to roads for what?... Potholes that knaker my coils? Out of date surfaces with barely any white lines? Speed cameras that don't work? Un neccessary improvement works for already satisfactory junctions?

I make you right jay, it took me just over 2 hours to get to fat wick today, north side is the same too. The trouble is people's driving styles. For instance, clacket lane roadworks, everyone is pedal to the metal right upto the start of the first camera in the roadworks then they anchor up to 50 or below, this causes the shockwave effect, so a mile back in traffic poor buggers like me are crawling between 5 and 10mph all the way through.

I think they may be planning in advance though. As when the roadworks are complete, the m25 will make for a suitable track for the numptys.

I agree with the unsafe cars too, the amount of money that car enthusiasts put into cars to not only make them fast but 'safe' too is a damn sight different to some of the flint stone style motors I see in the mornings. Genuine cite end are the same, they spend their money on a decent 'safe' car yet abuse the privalige by hoofing it around, hence the increase of speed cameras. It's swings and roundabouts really, there will always be a reaction to an action.

I'm not saying speeding is a good thing, just in the right circumstances. Late at night with an empty road? Yes you can push on a bit, within reason. Busy rush hour times, think logically! A term which is unrecognised by most. Hence why camera presence is increased. - a reaction to an action.

The situation of why the cameras aren't active, we will never find out the truth in my eyes, it all excuses.
Old 22 May 2013, 11:23 AM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Be aware that the average speed cameras on the bridge have been activated...there was an article recently by the crossing action group, not that you can generally go more than 25mph over the damn thing