Notices
Essex Subaru Owners Club The official dedicated forum for Essex Subaru Owners Club Events.

Bulb change

Search this Thread

Old 12 October 2012, 08:09 PM
jack.west
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bulb change

Hi guys,

Know this is so simple but i've been having a bit of difficulty doing so myself (still learning DIY mechanics on lil jobs lol)

Basically i've replaced the passenger side dipped beam and sidelight, bit of wiggling and this came out fine.

But the driver side just wont come out, it feels like it's bolted elsewhere...

I've removed all the clips, front grill, and the three bolts (two on top visible, and the one inside of the bumper holding the white clip bit in)

But it is still stuck, i only had to remove these clips etc for the passenger side and it removed fine without trouble.

I just need to replace the sidelight and make sure the dipped beam is lined up correctly.

I have an 05 sti blob.

Any help much appreciated.

Many thanks!
Old 12 October 2012, 08:53 PM
AWG
Scooby Regular

Blob headlights are buggers, but sounds like you have taken all you need out. It feels like there is one left but in fact it's a fixing with a ball on the end that snaps into place so you just have to give it a royal tug to get it off. Took three attempts to get mine off as I thought I must of left a bolt still fixed!

Old 12 October 2012, 09:53 PM
jack.west
Scooby Regular

ah yes i remember that bit now, it's nearer the wing side, and a bit of a wiggle and it came out, will have to try tomorrow.

I will get my royal tugging arms ready lol.

Do you know if the lights need aligning afterwards or is it just plug in and go?

Cause i've managed to change the main beam but it seems rather high on the drivers side. i'm not sure whether this is normal or not.

The bulbs have been upgraded from standard to xeon - type ones, that are a bit brighter, but i did not think they would sit themselves a bit higher.

Thank you for the reply andy.
Old 13 October 2012, 08:41 AM
AWG
Scooby Regular

Mine didn't need realigning as they fitted snuggly in the original place with no movement. Once that retainer is clipped on the back it should line up perfectly with the passenger one
Old 13 October 2012, 09:45 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate taking the head lights out of my blob. Always feels like I'm going to break something with that final tug!
Old 14 October 2012, 07:55 PM
jack.west
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the tips guys, managed to get her out. Did not like the tug!!!

They are sitting a bit high so i'm not sure whether to take them somewhere and get aligned, they are h1 bulbs (which im sure is correct for the car)

But do they need to round a certain way or something? they are clipped in fine and seated properly....
Old 18 October 2012, 02:27 AM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Location: You only live ONCE But if you do it right >>>>> ONCE is enough
Smile

The tags can only seat the bulb in one correct position in the holder so if it's clipped in flush & level then that's all you can do there. Do you have a headlight leveling **** down below one side of the steering wheel on the dash panel something like this?

My 03 Blobeye did & when I upgraded my bulbs I had to drop the beam a notch or 2 as although they were set correctly they still dazzled oncoming cars on dip.

You could give a couple of bangs with the side of your fist towards the bottom of the lens just to make sure it's seated in the mountings. Sort of do the opposite to the royal tug. Maybe a royal push.