Notices
Essex Subaru Owners Club The official dedicated forum for Essex Subaru Owners Club Events.

Any plumbers in the house?

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2010, 10:15 PM
Cornelius
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any plumbers in the house?

Have checked the occupations thread and not show if the 2 plumbers listed are current members as I haven't seen them post up.

At the moment, we got water coming out of the over flows, instead of draining out into the soil pipe, there appears to be a blockage and the water is coming out of the downstairs toilet over flow pipe and so overflowing the cistern and water is all over the floor, gone under the laminated flooring in the hall and soaked the living room carpet.

We just had some plumbers out and they charged us £260 for doing f*&k all and now we've lost the hot water system.

It appear that thehot water header tank is overflowing into the said overflow.

The plumbers attitude is "tough ******* - we done what we could and it's not our problem" so they will be reported to trading standards

Looks like a trip to screwfix for supplies as well as trying to get installation diagrams for the hot water system
Old 06 February 2010, 10:22 PM
BRI4N
Scooby Regular

Paul, I can pop round tomorrow morning and have a look for you. I'm not a plumber, but know a bit, and as long as it's not gas related may be able to sort it out.
Old 06 February 2010, 10:51 PM
Cornelius
Scooby Regular

Thanks Brian, it appears that there must be a water control valve for the hot water heater and it's letting water by through the hot water cylinder back into the header tanks causing it to over flow.

Been searching the web for diagrams/schematics but had no joy.

The heater is a Johnson & Starley J25-32 Mk3 with Janus 3 water heater.

There's a blockage in the overflow pipe somewhere under the cistern (This pipe goes outside to the street) so as a temp measure I have re-routed the overflow straight into an open pipe to the soil pipe to stop the flooding and have just replaced the ball valve to the header as a precautionary measure.

Just waiting for a bit to see if the "new" overflow works, then put the hot water system back on
Old 07 February 2010, 12:00 AM
steffi4
Scooby Regular

if no luck my other halfs a builder and does everything from fixing a leaky tap to building a house lol. depends where you are tho just pm and can arrange check out his website he's no cowboy. my other half says £260 is outrageous he would've only charged £70 -£90 for a call out and first hours is usually £60 plus parts. he also repairs anything that goes wrong after(within reason lol) so if they did nothing then report them. i hate it when people claiming to do a trade rip people off it gives a bad name to honest tradesmen.
Old 07 February 2010, 01:40 AM
Cornelius
Scooby Regular

PAH, bloody plumbers - found the problem - a faulty water cylinder. It's an indirect type and the heater coil has ruptured, causing the feed from the cold water tank to pressurise the system and pushing the water back into the header tank through the feed pipe causing the overflow.

Doubt very much if a check valve will work as it's gravity feed, if not looks like it will be converted to a direct cylinder
Old 07 February 2010, 09:46 AM
BRI4N
Scooby Regular

Looks like you may have it under control, thought you would.

If you want me to pop over give me a call.

Also, if you need a hand once the insurance has been sorted for the floor etc.
Old 07 February 2010, 10:46 AM
wozzaa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BRI4N
Looks like you may have it under control, thought you would.

If you want me to pop over give me a call.

Also, if you need a hand once the insurance has been sorted for the floor etc.
dito Paul if you need a hand even to make the tea give us a shout
Old 07 February 2010, 11:45 AM
Cornelius
Scooby Regular

Don't think I can put a check valve in the header tank feed, as the storage tank is higher than the header tank, the water pressure from the storage won't let the header feed flow down.

Talk about a crash course in plumbing!!
Old 07 February 2010, 12:31 PM
yellowvanman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cornelius
Don't think I can put a check valve in the header tank feed, as the storage tank is higher than the header tank, the water pressure from the storage won't let the header feed flow down.

Talk about a crash course in plumbing!!
Paul, unless i'm missing something, if the heater coil has broken, then surely you need to replace the cylinder?
If I understand what mean, you will also have the hot water contaminated by the heating circuit, which is far from ideal.
Old 07 February 2010, 01:01 PM
Cornelius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by yellowvanman
Paul, unless i'm missing something, if the heater coil has broken, then surely you need to replace the cylinder?
If I understand what mean, you will also have the hot water contaminated by the heating circuit, which is far from ideal.
You're absolutely right, but at the moment I haven't got £150 (£150 - screwfix, £210 - Wickes) to buy a new indirect cylinder thanks to the cowboy w@ankers that shafted us yesterday

after a bit of digging -the janus 3 water heater can be run either direct or indirect so as a temporary measure until I get paid I'm going to covert the system to direct - either by installing a heating element to the tank or fit a check valve or stop **** (As the heater unit was installed many many moons ago, it hasn't got the regulatory stop ***** fitted to thefeed lines) into the header tank feed line and use the Janus heater