Notices
Essex Subaru Owners Club The official dedicated forum for Essex Subaru Owners Club Events.

advice please....

Search this Thread

Old 14 July 2009, 11:22 PM
G-Man1982
Scooby Regular

Location: DIESEL POWERED BORAT! SLAMMED, R32 WHEELS, MAPPED, DE-CAT, TINTS. LOVE IT!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advice please....

went out today in scoob, done the usual warm it up business and didnt see no problem. once warmed i took it up to 5000 rpm and it spluttered.(held back/eratic power loss) the cars running fine up until i hit 5k. car has never done this before. i will also add its been heavy rain for most the day here also.

once i got to my mates house i checked under bonnet and all looked good. car was sat at idol for about 5 mins whilst waiting for mate to come out. the drive home the car was fine!! moisture somewhere?

confussed!

any ideas?
Old 15 July 2009, 08:10 AM
Cornelius
Scooby Regular

Both my old scoobs used to do this when it was raining and water got on the air filter, though I did take off the covers to open the vents up
Old 15 July 2009, 08:25 AM
kevin wrx
Scooby Regular

i have the same problem with my scoob if its been raining heavy.
Old 15 July 2009, 10:47 AM
ScatRat
Scooby Regular

MIne does it all the time, put temporary covers over air filter,changed filter maf etc lamba sensor, mines in garage still for next few days, sounds similiar to yours mate, as soon as i know i let you know whta was wrong with mine,
Hope you get it sorted mate,
JJ
Old 15 July 2009, 06:46 PM
G-Man1982
Scooby Regular

Location: DIESEL POWERED BORAT! SLAMMED, R32 WHEELS, MAPPED, DE-CAT, TINTS. LOVE IT!

thanks for your replys.. looks like its just a scoob / rain thing. been driving it about for a couple of hours today and its been sweet!
Old 15 July 2009, 09:22 PM
Jimladfatboy
Scooby Regular

Location: E.S.C. Essex.Scooby.Classic. If it was good enough for Colin.......

You may well find its water getting in through the open vent and it runs down the side of the engine and gets into the coil pack under the air intake, if its an early classic. I have that problem when i take the covers off in the summer and it rains. You can hear it ticking or sparking from the where the coil packs are and it runs lumpy as hell until it warms up enough to dry out the water. Does it do it all the time or does it go away when its nicely warm? May just be coil packs on the way out. They break down and cause missfire and i believe it prompts some form of safety cut out for fuel/boost and thats why you get the sudden loss of power. I'm sure someone can fill you in on technical stuff if I'm not quite accurate. Thats what mine does anyway. Not cheap to replace if its that but the difference with new ones would be surprising. I just haven't got round to buying new ones for mine yet.