Notices
Essex Subaru Owners Club The official dedicated forum for Essex Subaru Owners Club Events.

Was this a "Bogus" caller???

Search this Thread

Old 07 June 2009, 10:09 PM
Ms Gooner 1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Was this a "Bogus" caller???

My mum has been approached this afternoon at her home and this is what happened - opinions please....... does this seem a little "odd" to any of you???

Man knocks at her door - she lives in a bungalow (largeish) and obviously, since losing my dad in April - she's now on her own (except the dog). Anyway, she answers the door to find a man standing there, no car, no ID etc, and he's holding a framed photo. He gives her a yarn about how he works for a company called arielphotography (who i have googled) and would she like to buy this photo? With that, he shows her a framed print - approx 8/10. Its an ariel shot of her bungalow and front and rear gardens. in the back garden you can clearly see my two girls playing (although my mum has said you couldn't see their faces). when asked, he told my mum it was taken last summer. There is no reason to dis-beleive this, however, i was there the other weekend and my kids were playing in the garden. My dad's car (that i now have) was parked on the drive down the side of the house (where i parked it last weekend). He offers her the photo for a sum of £45. She said she couldn't possibly afford that etc so he said that for OAP's he'd offer a discount and she could buy it for £25. and she's not an OAP LOL. Again she declined saying it was too expensive for a photo - so he said "well what would you offer for it".

She's obivously a little dubious of this now (in hindsight). He didn't offer any ID. She couldn't see a car/company van, no business card. No briefcase. no nothing.

Has anyone ever been approached for something like this before? I have told her to call essex police and just menion it to them - was i over-reacting?
Old 07 June 2009, 10:15 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope not over reacting at all imo. No ID no trust. Even if they do offer ID she should check it close up.
Old 07 June 2009, 10:17 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Happens every few years or so over here.

Its a photo of your (mothers) house, if you don't want it then who will. Offer him a fiver.
Old 08 June 2009, 02:25 AM
Nate
Scooby Regular

I do not see any problem TBH (depending on the character of the person selling), my dad used to sell the same kind of framed prints.
Old 08 June 2009, 07:24 AM
Nurse Gladys
Scooby Regular

Location: Daily drive is a Scoob again - just what it should be!

We've had them call before - they gave a reason why they took the pictures (though I can't remember what it was) but as above, nobody else will want the piccy of your mum's house so offer a silly price.

Don't think it's a scam, however speak to your local council / police now your mum is on her own, we have got m-in-law some Neighbourhood Watch & No Cold Calling signs in her door, along with one that tells people not to knock if they can't produce ID.

For future we also put a sign in her door saying no trick or treaters come Halloween!

HTH.
Old 08 June 2009, 07:34 AM
ScoobyMaz
Scooby Regular

When they do aerial surveys, they sometimes allow photographers on board to take photos (my mate was offered a place when doing a photography course). They are genuine, but as others have said, worthless to anybody else so they will virtual give it away. My parents have one from 15 years ago with my mini on the drive!
Old 08 June 2009, 08:04 AM
Spec'c'57
Scooby Regular

We also had them when in east tilbury, not sure what my dad paid but did purchase the photo in the end by offer.

Trending Topics

Old 08 June 2009, 09:39 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

We had this in skeness a lot, I have 1 that my gran bought as it had a few of my cars on etc, was about 25 quid inc frame,
I think it was probably genuine but in this day and age we are expecting to be conned(as it does seem to happen a lot) but it isnt always a con
Old 08 June 2009, 12:30 PM
Ms Gooner 1
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys
I think because of losing my dad she's feeling a tad vulnerable and understandably, because this isn't an "everyday" visit etc, she felt a little uneased with it! She's got the dog and signs up everywhere with warning to the dog etc - and she has got those "no cold calling" stickers on her door (but little point in those clearly).
Anyway - thanks again