Clever Scam?

Search this Thread

Old 27 January 2004, 04:54 PM
Ratman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Not seen it on Scoobynet yet, so...

FROM: LANCASHIRE PARTNERSHIP AGAINST CRIME (LANCASHIRE POLICE CONSTABULARY)

The LANPAC Office have been made aware of a clever scam involving MASTERCARD and VISA.

Basically a household will receive a call from the bogus 'Security and Fraud Department' at VISA or MASTERCARD saying that your card has been flagged for an unusual spending pattern and they are calling to verify its authenticity. The caller will say that an item for just under £500 has been purchased using your card. When you confirm that you haven't purchased anything the caller says they will issue a credit to your account. They then ask you to confirm your address.

You will be told that a fraud investigation will commence and if you have any queries to ring the number on the back of the card and ask for the security section quoting a reference number they give you. You are then asked to verify you are in possession of your card and you are asked to read the security number on the back of your card.

The caller sounds very genuine and tells you to call the number on the back of the card if you have any questions. This is a genuine number but by the time you have rang the number the card will have been used to purchase some expensive items.

Lancashire Constabulary Credit Card Fraud team have checked this with VISA and they tell us that this is definitely a scam. VISA would never ask for this number. You are advised not to give this number out to a caller claiming to be from VISA or MASTERCARD.

If you are in any doubt about callers or e-mails then check them out on a number you know to be authentic before giving any information. Treat the call or e-mail as suspicious until you have checked it out.

I imagine this could actually catch some (non-Scoobynet!) people out. I like the way they flag the "unusual spending" they are about to carry out!!

Ratman
Old 27 January 2004, 04:56 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Thumbs down

Crafty one, social engineering at its "best".

Old 27 January 2004, 05:00 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Bets of it is, credit card companies do call if they see unusual spending.

Went on hols last year to Devon and when I got back had a call from Goldfish. They just wanted to confirm it was me that had spent £X in Victoria Wine in Kingsbridge. When I said yes, they said that's fine then, it just got flagged as a purchase outside of my normal spending area. Re-assuring that they do it, but looks like it somebody has picked up on it and is not exploiting it.
Old 27 January 2004, 05:03 PM
C h a z
Scooby Regular

The crazy thing is all the information you need is on the card when you hand it to a waiter at a restaurant (sp?) The main number across the front the name, pin etc. Why have they gone to all this trouble? And how do they get the main number?
Old 27 January 2004, 05:06 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

There's no way I'd fall for that. £500 on my card? Not a chance