Notices
Essex Subaru Owners Club The official dedicated forum for Essex Subaru Owners Club Events.

MASSIVE WRC Subaru news....

Search this Thread

Old 16 December 2008, 10:05 AM
bibo_boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MASSIVE WRC Subaru news....

Not sure if it's out yet?
Old 16 December 2008, 10:08 AM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Location: Going further than the station and back !!! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

yeah on NSR at the moment
Old 16 December 2008, 10:09 AM
bibo_boy
Scooby Regular

I can't believe it!!!!

I was in a Ford Motorsport Mtg when I heard and it's shocked the whole industry!
Old 16 December 2008, 10:21 AM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

yeah, despite recent results, Subaru still seem to be Synonymous with WRC and as such yes its a shocker....

will it stop me ripping round the b roads?? no...

black arm band time
Old 16 December 2008, 10:25 AM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gutted, surely now everything that made the Impreza will now die with it.

However, due to the economic crisis, how long before ford and the other manufacturers follow suit?
Old 16 December 2008, 10:29 AM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

while the sensible thing might be for motor manufacturers to put a cease on events for a year, unfortunately this will have a massive knock on effect on the associated companies / individuals as well.

There are many thousands of people involved in these events / development / support that either way its bad news all round...

the world is slaughtered right now. time to built the shelters and duck down!!
Old 16 December 2008, 10:37 AM
Diesel_DC
Scooby Regular

Location: Back in Diesel wonderland - 3.0 TDi Quattro A4, with more toys than Ann Summers...lol

Originally Posted by frayz

However, due to the economic crisis, how long before ford and the other manufacturers follow suit?

Can only be a matter of time before the others follow suit

Gutted as one of the best forms of motorsport around, plus it's what got most of us aware of Subaru in the first place.

I suppose with the new rules coming up for the super 2000 (or whatever it's called) will give a year or 2 break to develop a new car.

Sad day though
Old 16 December 2008, 10:49 AM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

What will come of Prodrive?

Surely this is a massive massive kick in the nuts for them too?
Old 16 December 2008, 10:53 AM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

What will come of Prodrive?

Surely this is a massive massive kick in the nuts for them too?

Apparently only 20% of their business nowadays, much busier with other stuff - you'll remember from our factory tour.

They'll still kit out customer teams of course.
Old 16 December 2008, 10:58 AM
MadOli
Scooby Regular

Location: No more pretending... I'm in a Scoob - yippeee!!! :D

OMG rallying without Subaru isn't right!
Subaru World Rally Team
prodrive

Mind you, with Prodrive having all those extra people doing nothing they might decide build the P2 after all
Old 16 December 2008, 11:00 AM
Supercue
Scooby Regular

Cool

How many more will follow suit? Although on the upside this allows the teams to develop the car without any restraints what so ever
Old 16 December 2008, 11:01 AM
rb5 286
Scooby Regular

FROM SWRT.COM

16 December 2008
Subaru has announced its decision to withdraw from the 2009 World Rally Championship

This sudden decision was in response to the widespread economic downturn that is affecting the entire automotive industry, and follows Suzuki’s withdrawal announced yesterday.

After 20 years in the sport, during which time the Prodrive-run Subaru World Rally Team has won six World Rally Championship titles, this is not only sad news for Subaru and the team, but also for millions of rallying fans around the world. Thanks to its highly successful World Rally Championship programme, Subaru has developed into one of the world’s most widely recognised and evocative automotive brands.

Prodrive chairman, David Richards, said: “Subaru’s departure from the World Rally Championship is a great loss as it is one of the sport’s icons. The Subaru World Rally Team has created true champions such as Colin McRae and Richard Burns and its absence will be felt by many the world over. Although this decision closes a significant chapter in Prodrive’s history, our focus now turns to the future.”

For many, Prodrive and Subaru are synonymous, given the long-standing and close association between the two companies. However, while the Subaru World Rally Team historically represented a significant part of Prodrive’s business, today it accounts for no more than 20 per cent of the company’s turnover.

Prodrive will look to redeploy as many of the rally team as possible in other areas of its business operations, which have grown to span advanced engineering and manufacturing for the automotive, defence, marine and aerospace industries, in addition to other motorsport programmes.

Despite the current economic downturn, Prodrive’s automotive engineering business remains buoyant as it works with vehicle manufacturers to accelerate the development of next generation fuel-efficient vehicles and alternative fuel technologies.

Together with Subaru, Prodrive’s commitment to its customer rally teams will also continue unabated for 2009 and beyond. Over the past 15 years, Prodrive has sold close to 500 rally cars to more than 400 private competitors and independent rally teams in 47 countries. During this time, Prodrive’s customers have won five consecutive Production World Rally Championships and countless international rallies. In 2008, Prodrive-supported customer teams have claimed eight rally championship titles around the world.

Looking ahead, 2010 will see the introduction of new World Rally Championship technical regulations, which provide Prodrive with an opportunity to prepare for re-entering the championship with a new team and build on its 24 years of World Rally Championship experience and success.
Old 16 December 2008, 11:04 AM
rb5 286
Scooby Regular

IMO it died with the death of the saloon impreza.

since then its been downhill since and I think that the 'current state of the automotive sector' is just an excuse to quit the programme as they just arent producing any results in the WRC to warrant staying in it as they just aren't on the level with Ford & Citreon to win titles. Accept defeat.

the proposed S2000 regulations for 2010 seem stupid and the end for WRC in its entirety

Last edited by rb5 286; 16 December 2008 at 11:06 AM.
Old 16 December 2008, 11:16 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very sad news.

I was wondering how much longer FHI would keep supporting the team though.

Really gutted, I enjoyed following the team during the WRC season and especially the jaunts to Germany supporting the team and being part of the VIP scene in service park.
Old 16 December 2008, 11:28 AM
bibo_boy
Scooby Regular

Not for a while

(but that could change!)
Old 16 December 2008, 11:30 AM
Supercue
Scooby Regular

The ecconomic downturn is almost coincidental. Prodrive contract was up for renewal, the current testing legislation is a joke and the new car is at least a few seconds off the pace. Put those reasons together alone and it makes sense to have a year out testing for 2010.

I have a hunch that Subaru/Prodrive will take a leaf out of Citroens book and spend a year designing and testing a car that they believe will be a winner under the new rules set for 2010. Lets be honest the new legislation is such that it will need some serious research to bring the Scoob up to scratch.

If this is the case and Subaru could enjoy the success that the frogs have had I'm sure everyone will be chuffed

Like Mark I still think the Saloon Death was a step too far. Deny it all they will but the new car still smacks of Focarse and for a great many fans it just does not appeal.

Glad I'm doing Route 66 next year as the Rally scene is well and truly screwed without the SWRT.
Old 16 December 2008, 11:35 AM
rb5 286
Scooby Regular

i'm a big fan of Mikko Hirvonnen but have stayed loyal to Subaru/Solberg - i guess i have no loyalties to abide by now so Ford/Hirvonnen it is for me from now on

Oh, and what an excuse for FRS Mk II to sit on my drive now
Old 16 December 2008, 11:38 AM
Tomski_908
Scooby Regular

Where will this end? WRC without subaru?? Lets hope they will come back BIGGER AND BETTER!
Old 16 December 2008, 11:41 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Oh well, I guess I will be visiting here from now on!

BP Ford Abu Dhabi World Rally Team Website

Old 16 December 2008, 11:58 AM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SirFozzalot

Really gutted, I enjoyed following the team during the WRC season and especially the jaunts to Germany supporting the team and being part of the VIP scene in service park.
on the upside,
at least we've had a chance to see and do it Fozzie....

others may not be able to say that
Old 16 December 2008, 12:05 PM
bibo_boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SirFozzalot
Oh well, I guess I will be visiting here from now on!

BP Ford Abu Dhabi World Rally Team Website

I'm really gutted today as are a lot of people here!!!!!!

It's good to hear some of you will follow the "local" WRC team (well part of it!)

I'm also surprised that a few people on hear have so much bad feeling for FWRT and the Focarse?

Haven't they done enough for motorsport now and in the past to warrent a little respect? (ok - I'm biased!!!)
Old 16 December 2008, 12:11 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by bibo_boy
I'm also surprised that a few people on hear have so much bad feeling for FWRT and the Focarse?

Haven't they done enough for motorsport now and in the past to warrent a little respect? (ok - I'm biased!!!)

A factory tour would really help convince me
Old 16 December 2008, 12:13 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

I know i'll get flamed but who cares and here goes:

i think it'll potentially be a good thing for them. They'll have time to improve the car over a greater period of time for starters and be able to reflect on the support of their public that will no doubt be lost.

If i'm honest they've not had the subaru spark that was there with Colin and when Solberg was winning for some time. Atkinson was a refreshing welcome but i think they needed to look for new talent. They need someone like Loeb when her burst onto the scene. But that talent may not be out there at the moment.

Yes i'm disappointed that they won't be there to grace our screens whilst watching the wrc next year but as mentioned above, the real subaru magic in rallying was going to be lost when the saloon went completely. i know there are reasons why they made the hatchback, but lets face it it's not an impreza. yes it's a subaru but imo they should have given it a new name.

the super 2000 series may be a refreshing change. i've not read the regs but could spell some interesting hot hatch versions from manufacturers in the car market in general.

With all this talk of economic downturn and car manufacturers just churning out bland rep mobiles, it'd be refreshing to hear of car manufacturers speaking of a budget hot hatch that emulates the racing heros on the screens. still we can only hope.
Old 16 December 2008, 12:15 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Always openly been a ford nut mate, nothing will change that
Old 16 December 2008, 12:17 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Always openly been a ford nut mate, nothing will change that
can't you and bibo nudge them to produce a RS fiesta and modeo? sure they'd sell well.

now a budget saloon m3 beater would be interesting
Old 16 December 2008, 12:24 PM
Supercue
Scooby Regular

Wink

I cant speak for everyone but I dont have any bad feeling for FWRT. I dont like the fact that Subaru has tried to turn itself into a Focarse like hot hatch hoping to steal a few extra orders. If you want Ford buy one if you want a Scoob buy pre 07
Old 16 December 2008, 12:29 PM
bibo_boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Supercue
I cant speak for everyone but I dont have any bad feeling for FWRT. I dont like the fact that Subaru has tried to turn itself into a Focarse like hot hatch hoping to steal a few extra orders. If you want Ford buy one if you want a Scoob buy pre 07
Old 16 December 2008, 12:30 PM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

the new scoob cant hold a light to the new focus IMHO.

europe leads car design on both interior and exterior and of late, efficient engine production.
I think Jap cars have had there day, which funnily enough peaked to soon.

its all about getting in a car and driving it now, convienience, reliability, comfort, safety and i have to say, Ford are getting this all back in spadefulls.

wrc aside for a second, i'd go europe over jap right now !
Old 16 December 2008, 12:31 PM
bibo_boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Milamber
A factory tour would really help convince me

We could sort a tour of Team RS very quickly...... It would take about 2 mins
Old 16 December 2008, 12:36 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

I'm really gutted today as are a lot of people here!!!!!!

It's good to hear some of you will follow the "local" WRC team (well part of it!)

Loads of respect to Ford from me personally. Before my scoob I owned 4 Fords and Lady Fozz currently has a Ford.

For me, Subaru just offered something a bit more "out-of-ordinary" and was different to what everyone else around was supporting which made things more exciting.

I have always watched how the Ford team performed as they are, as you say, the "local" team and always preferred to see a Ford on the podium over a Citroen.

Not sure how easily I could make the jump to supporting the Ford team though.....especially whilst still owning and driving a Scoob!

......now where is that Ford RS brochure?

Last edited by SirFozzalot; 16 December 2008 at 12:38 PM.

Quick Reply: MASSIVE WRC Subaru news....