Notices
Essex Subaru Owners Club The official dedicated forum for Essex Subaru Owners Club Events.

Fitting Coilovers - Anyone done it themselves

Search this Thread

Old 17 November 2008, 09:17 PM
Diesel_DC
Scooby Regular

Location: Back in Diesel wonderland - 3.0 TDi Quattro A4, with more toys than Ann Summers...lol
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fitting Coilovers - Anyone done it themselves

As title anyone fitted their own and if so was it a major trauma.

Would I need any special tools or just usual array of spanners and sockets?
Old 17 November 2008, 09:24 PM
essexboy30
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by S600B_DC
As title anyone fitted their own and if so was it a major trauma.

Would I need any special tools or just usual array of spanners and sockets?
Straight forward from what i can tell....
it's getting them setup right that takes time...
Old 17 November 2008, 09:55 PM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Location: You only live ONCE But if you do it right >>>>> ONCE is enough
Smile

This is for a Toyota but similar principles apply.

CLICK for guide

Mark
Old 17 November 2008, 09:59 PM
kin quick
Scooby Regular

Dave, I fitted mine myself, they are the same ones as yours, you don't need a spring compressor to take the old units off as you are not taking the springs off the dampers so can be taken off in one unit (springs and dampers in one).

I've done quite a few bits and bobs on cars over the years, but nothing major and found them to be fairly easy. Only trouble I had was undo-ing the bottom nuts on each damper as they were really tight, needed a bar to loosen them, but it's only because they get covered in road grime and tend to seize. The day before you do them, spray some WD-40 on the lower nuts on each corner, should hopefully help.

There's 2 rather large nuts at the bottom of each strut, and 3 smaller nuts at the top. The back ones need the rear seats to be taken out which isn't particularly difficult. Need to take the rear bench out first, then un-hook the top of the back seat (next to the parcel shelf). Was a bit tight to get the spanner on the head of the nuts due to the rear bulkhead, but just took a bit longer than expected, nothing too difficult. Can't remember exactly, but think the top nuts on all the struts are 13mm, I used a ratchet spanner for the rears because of the lack of access. I think the bottom nuts are two different sizes, sure one is 19mm and the other is 17mm, but can't remember off hand. One of them adjusts the camber so will get loose, then tight, then loose etc... due to being a CAM type shape, if your make a mark on this bolt, you can do it up in a similar position (never going to get it spot on, MOCOM for that).

It's a bit tight to get the front dampers off, only because of the front brake caliper, brake hose and drive shaft, it's easier when you have a look.

When working on either end of the car, use some axle stands as you may need to jiggle it about, better safe than squashed............I've got a nice set of axle stands

Basically, get the wheels off and have a good look before you start, I found it much easier than expected. Took about 4 hours in total by someone who had never done it before.

You may need to higher the coil-overs as mine was really low, looked brilliant until I turned the steering wheel and the fronts rubbed on the arches.

Good luck fella, if you get stuck, you know my number

Last edited by kin quick; 17 November 2008 at 10:02 PM.
Old 18 November 2008, 09:18 AM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yup piece of cake as mike said. getting the set how you like them is the thing though. xtreme or zak should be able to do that bit for you though