Notices
Essex Subaru Owners Club The official dedicated forum for Essex Subaru Owners Club Events.

Question for any plumbers

Search this Thread

Old 16 March 2008, 01:03 PM
Ms Gooner 1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for any plumbers

I had a full central heating system installed on 19th December - job was a nightmare from start to finish with other problems, but on the whole it went OK.

Had a quality inspector out a couple of weeks ago who mentioned that my boiler had lost pressure - this meant nish to me having been told nothing about my new boiler or indeed anything about pressure.

Long and short, chap re-pressurised it and said if it dropped again to call them out. It did, so I did and a week ago another guy came out, had to do some other things as well the the QC picked up on but re-pressurised it. Today, I was wondering why my heaters weren't hot and went to check the boiler - pressure was non-existant, down to zero . I've re-pressurised the boiler (BIG claps for me ) but am curious as to why it keeps dropping every couple of days/week? Is this normal? the QC chap had mentioned that it could indicate a leak - what kind of leak would I be looking for?
Old 16 March 2008, 01:23 PM
Spec'c'57
Scooby Regular

Have a friend around 2moro night (a plumber) will have a chat if not answered...
Old 16 March 2008, 01:27 PM
Ms Gooner 1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spec'c'57
Have a friend around 2moro night (a plumber) will have a chat if not answered...
Old 16 March 2008, 01:54 PM
97Catalunya
Scooby Regular

I'm no plummer, but that sounds like a leak to me .

It's normal to lose some preassure after the initial installation because any trapped air in the system will work its way into the rads, and that will need bleading off, after that the system preassure will need topping up. You may have to do this once or twice, but after that it shouldn't really need touching, untill you blead the rads again?
Old 16 March 2008, 02:10 PM
Ms Gooner 1
Scooby Regular

The Qc'r did say that it could be air - so he bled the rads and re-pressurised the boiler - then since then it dropped and the guy came out and re-did it and then today I've re-pressurised it again!
I've not seen any water leaks or nothing like that?
Old 16 March 2008, 02:19 PM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 97Catalunya
I'm no plummer, but that sounds like a leak to me .

It's normal to lose some preassure after the initial installation because any trapped air in the system will work its way into the rads, and that will need bleading off, after that the system preassure will need topping up. You may have to do this once or twice, but after that it shouldn't really need touching, untill you blead the rads again?

spot on, theres a leak somewhere mate, hence losing pressure.

Sometimes happens on the filling loop, is there any wetness, signs of wetness etc?

You might need to have a feel at the pipes on the joints etc and and see if there is any evidence of leakage, leakage in lofts etc aint good news, Id get on it qucik, wetness can bring roofs down if not nipped in the bud.

Its also quite possibly the rads but its happening a biut too often maybe, plus they should have sorted all that out.....but then again....it wasn't Brit Gas was it...lol
Old 16 March 2008, 03:03 PM
yellowvanman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ms Gooner 1
I had a full central heating system installed on 19th December - job was a nightmare from start to finish with other problems, but on the whole it went OK.

Had a quality inspector out a couple of weeks ago who mentioned that my boiler had lost pressure - this meant nish to me having been told nothing about my new boiler or indeed anything about pressure.

Long and short, chap re-pressurised it and said if it dropped again to call them out. It did, so I did and a week ago another guy came out, had to do some other things as well the the QC picked up on but re-pressurised it. Today, I was wondering why my heaters weren't hot and went to check the boiler - pressure was non-existant, down to zero . I've re-pressurised the boiler (BIG claps for me ) but am curious as to why it keeps dropping every couple of days/week? Is this normal? the QC chap had mentioned that it could indicate a leak - what kind of leak would I be looking for?

No it is not normal for the pressure to drop every few days.

As it is a full central heating system, then every part of the new system is potentially suspect.

Have you noticed any wet/damp patches anywhere, on the floor or ceiling?
For this kind of persistant loss there will usually be evidence, unless below the ground floor, floor boards. Do look carefully, you would be amazed at how little water can do a lot of damage.

Another explaination, is that the boiler is faulty, possibly pressure relief valve or expansion vessel.

Bottom line, as this is a new installation it should be garenteed by whomever installed it, and it is their responsibility to correct the problem. Still be firm and persistant with them untill they correct the issue.
Old 16 March 2008, 03:05 PM
Ms Gooner 1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JimmyBFC
spot on, theres a leak somewhere mate, hence losing pressure.

Sometimes happens on the filling loop, is there any wetness, signs of wetness etc?

You might need to have a feel at the pipes on the joints etc and and see if there is any evidence of leakage, leakage in lofts etc aint good news, Id get on it qucik, wetness can bring roofs down if not nipped in the bud.

Its also quite possibly the rads but its happening a biut too often maybe, plus they should have sorted all that out.....but then again....it wasn't Brit Gas was it...lol
No it wasn't British Gas LOL
I've not found any signs of wetness, not round the rads or any exposed pipework, i'm certainly not going to pull up my floorboards and dig about .

I have noticed though a really odd smell in my bathroom When I lived at home with my folks we had a shower and the back wall used to get wet under the tiles and it smelled of fish - or something like that anyway. Well thats how my bathroom smells (disgusting isn't it LOL) its not really pungent and strong, but there is a smell there that isn't too dis-similar! Could the pipes be leaking under the floor boards and if so - would I not have had something dripping into my kitchen?

I'm going to call them tomorrow - but they're not the most helpful of companies!
Old 16 March 2008, 03:30 PM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

No it wasn't British Gas LOL
I've not found any signs of wetness, not round the rads or any exposed pipework, i'm certainly not going to pull up my floorboards and dig about .

I have noticed though a really odd smell in my bathroom When I lived at home with my folks we had a shower and the back wall used to get wet under the tiles and it smelled of fish - or something like that anyway. Well thats how my bathroom smells (disgusting isn't it LOL) its not really pungent and strong, but there is a smell there that isn't too dis-similar! Could the pipes be leaking under the floor boards and if so - would I not have had something dripping into my kitchen?

I'm going to call them tomorrow - but they're not the most helpful of companies!
Did they take up any boards where the smell is coming from to install any new pipes etc? If they did..its quite possible thats where the problem is.

Like you say, you don't want to be taking up any floorboards etc and this is probably the reason they are trying to dispel anything else b4 doing this...which obviously will cause some disruption etc.

Classic pressure loss can be on the flex pipe that releases pressure back into the system (filling loop) but there would be tell tale signs if that was the case.

Your best just telling them straight its not on and your not having it, im nearly sure there will be some kind of leak somewhere, its sometimes like finding a needle in a haystack....how long does it take to lose pressure when you've re-pressuried? If less than a day then it could be a decent leak.
Old 16 March 2008, 04:25 PM
Ms Gooner 1
Scooby Regular

It was last pressurised about 10 days ago - and today I noticed that my rads were cold - so checked it and it was zero!
The filling loop you speak of - thats not actually connected. it sits on top of the boiler and is only used to re-pressure, once the valves are closed, its removed. Is that wrong?
They did take up the floorboards in the bathroom - infact they broke them - which the QC'r was not impressed about as it caused the board to flip up if it was trodden on at the other end - something like out of a comdey strip - only unsafe with the kids etc.
I certainly haven't noticed any water patches at all, anywhere. there seems to be no dripping from the ceiling (and i'm certain I'd notice that).
As for getting them back - rest assured I certainly wont rest until the full system be replaced if necesary.
The chap that came out last Friday, did say that it probably wouldn't lose pressure again and said it was probably just because the rad's were bled - said that to follow all the pipes through could be disruptive and timely - which seeing as he didn't get here till gone 2 - he didn't much fancy doing as he'd be late for his dinner!
I'll see what they say tomorrow!
Old 16 March 2008, 06:31 PM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

It was last pressurised about 10 days ago - and today I noticed that my rads were cold - so checked it and it was zero!
The filling loop you speak of - thats not actually connected. it sits on top of the boiler and is only used to re-pressure, once the valves are closed, its removed. Is that wrong?
They did take up the floorboards in the bathroom - infact they broke them - which the QC'r was not impressed about as it caused the board to flip up if it was trodden on at the other end - something like out of a comdey strip - only unsafe with the kids etc.
I certainly haven't noticed any water patches at all, anywhere. there seems to be no dripping from the ceiling (and i'm certain I'd notice that).
As for getting them back - rest assured I certainly wont rest until the full system be replaced if necesary.
The chap that came out last Friday, did say that it probably wouldn't lose pressure again and said it was probably just because the rad's were bled - said that to follow all the pipes through could be disruptive and timely - which seeing as he didn't get here till gone 2 - he didn't much fancy doing as he'd be late for his dinner!
I'll see what they say tomorrow!

speaking of leaking pipes Ive managed to go through ours just 2 hours ago whilst screwing down some floorboards...ironic or what?

Lets just hope its the radiators that are in need of beig bled again, you'd certainly see some form of leak/water on the roof below the bathroom probably if it was there, can't beleive he'd say he would be late for his tea.....I bet they were their tot ake your money when you paid for it all doing though.....