Notices
Essex Subaru Owners Club The official dedicated forum for Essex Subaru Owners Club Events.

Bike service help please

Search this Thread

Old 20 February 2008, 08:49 AM
bibo_boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike service help please

Due to being banned from running for at least 2 weeks

I've got a mountain bike out the shed and have a couple of issues .....

First one is everytime I go uphill or put full force on the pedals I here an occasional crunch type noise from the crank and sometimes it slips slightly?

Also, I think the gears need setting up as on certain setting they are too close to the next gear and make that noise like you are just about to change gear

Should I just take it into a bike shop or buy another bike as it's a bit old
Old 20 February 2008, 09:51 AM
Mark_B4
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bibo_boy
Due to being banned from running for at least 2 weeks

I've got a mountain bike out the shed and have a couple of issues .....

First one is everytime I go uphill or put full force on the pedals I here an occasional crunch type noise from the crank and sometimes it slips slightly?

Also, I think the gears need setting up as on certain setting they are too close to the next gear and make that noise like you are just about to change gear

Should I just take it into a bike shop or buy another bike as it's a bit old
Most bike shops can reset the gears up, it's probably that the cable has become stretch over years of use... no point spending loads of money on a bike unless your going to use it enough...
Old 20 February 2008, 10:09 AM
rossi_p
Scooby Regular

First one is everytime I go uphill or put full force on the pedals I here an occasional crunch type noise from the crank and sometimes it slips slightly? - Sounds like the bottom bracket is giving up... This is a crank off job and need of special c shaped spanners.

Also, I think the gears need setting up as on certain setting they are too close to the next gear and make that noise like you are just about to change gear - On the gear shifters, there are little twiddly bits that you can turn to adjust the tension of the gear cable, try cycling along and twist these slowly to adjust the tension. There are similar bit on the front and rear mechs but you will need a stand to set this up correctly (or a lot of patience!). May also be because the stop screws are incorrectly set, these are the little screws on the front and rear mech - again, a stand would be helpful. But if it was running okay before, these shouldn't need adjusting.

Should I just take it into a bike shop or buy another bike as it's a bit old - Depends if you have the cash to spend, can get some decent bikes for not a lot of cash. The above aren't big problems and simple jobs (as long as you have the correct bottom bracket spanner).

Good luck!
Old 20 February 2008, 10:18 AM
bibo_boy
Scooby Regular

Cheers chaps....

I've never really done any maintenance on bikes which is shocking considering I road BMX competively as a kid!!!!!!

I don't have the spanners or a stand and I'm wondering if i might as well spend £200 ish on a new bike? I might spend £50 getting mine sorted so might just stick it on the noticeboard for £50 and put that towards a new bike?

Then again as Mark B4 said..... It comes down to use... I'm a runner not a biker really and I'll be only using the bike for a few weeks during rehab....
Old 20 February 2008, 10:35 AM
rossi_p
Scooby Regular

Cheers chaps....

I've never really done any maintenance on bikes which is shocking considering I road BMX competively as a kid!!!!!!

I don't have the spanners or a stand and I'm wondering if i might as well spend £200 ish on a new bike? I might spend £50 getting mine sorted so might just stick it on the noticeboard for £50 and put that towards a new bike?

Then again as Mark B4 said..... It comes down to use... I'm a runner not a biker really and I'll be only using the bike for a few weeks during rehab....
Unfortunately, I haven't got the required tools either. When I done mine, back in '97, I was working in a bike shop part time whilst at school and used their gear! Making me feel old thinking about it...

How bad is the give under load? Can you get away with it for the next couple of weeks? You should be able to tweak the gears enough to make them usable for that period so I would say if it is still ridable, not to bother with a new bike and save your money.
Old 20 February 2008, 10:36 AM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2

If your not going to use it for long , then why not try one of those cash converter type places to buy a second hand one (or local paper) and then just knock it out again when you're done ?
Old 20 February 2008, 10:46 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Les' Cycles - Canvey Island

They will sort it out for you.
Old 20 February 2008, 11:09 AM
bibo_boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rossi_p
Unfortunately, I haven't got the required tools either. When I done mine, back in '97, I was working in a bike shop part time whilst at school and used their gear! Making me feel old thinking about it...

How bad is the give under load? Can you get away with it for the next couple of weeks? You should be able to tweak the gears enough to make them usable for that period so I would say if it is still ridable, not to bother with a new bike and save your money.
Cheers again,

Think I'll tinker then use it for a couple of weeks.....

Fozzie. I've seen that shop before and they've always looked good. If it gets worse I'll pop down there.
Old 20 February 2008, 11:20 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fozzie. I've seen that shop before and they've always looked good. If it gets worse I'll pop down there.
One of the few main dealers for Scott and Marin in this area.

all the guys that work there are cyclists themselves and are really in to it.

Les still cycles to work everyday and has done for the last 21 years he has had the shop.

This is where I got my Marin from, also got Lady Fozz's Marin, Tiny's Marin and my mates Scott bike from here too.

Great service.
Old 20 February 2008, 09:06 PM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Location: You only live ONCE But if you do it right >>>>> ONCE is enough
Smile

Think I'll tinker then use it for a couple of weeks.....
Earlier three-piece cranks have a spindle with bearing cones (facing out), a fixed cup on the drive side, an adjustable cup on the non-drive side, and loose bearings. Overhauling requires removing at least one cup, cleaning or replacing the bearings, reinstalling the spindle, and adjusting the cups.

If you over adjust a worn bottom bracket it will grab & can end up worse than when it was loose.

More modern cycles have a "cartridge" bottom bracket instead. Sealed cartridge bottom brackets are normally two pieces, a unit holding the spindle and bearings that screws in to the bottom bracket shell from the drive side and a support cup (often made of light alloy or plastic) that supports the spindle/bearing assembly on the non-drive side. Other designs are three piece, the spindle is separate, but the bearing cups incorporate cheaply replaceable standard cartridge bearing units. Either arrangement makes servicing the bottom bracket a simple matter of removing the old cartridge from the bottom bracket shell, and installing a new one in its place. No adjustment is needed.

I can "borrow" some C spanners & a crank arm removing tool but only for an afternoon as they are in regular use at work.

A crunch from the bottom bracket area, especially when under load, can sometimes be traced to the pedal bearings as the noise gets carried by the crank arms.

Useful guide here :-

Tool Tips--Bottom Bracket Adjusment

Mark
Old 21 February 2008, 07:16 AM
bibo_boy
Scooby Regular

Thanks Mark...

It is bearable at the moment..... I'll get the bike out at the weekend and give it a test.
Old 21 February 2008, 10:55 PM
Tiny
Scooby Regular

Thanks Mark...

It is bearable at the moment..... I'll get the bike out at the weekend and give it a test.

Ia come & join the ESC MTB Posse

9.30am Thorndon pk Car park Sunday morning