Notices
Essex Subaru Owners Club The official dedicated forum for Essex Subaru Owners Club Events.

Advice needed please

Search this Thread

Old 12 December 2007, 11:38 AM
Cornelius
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice needed please

As you know, I've left Calor for a new job - however, Calor is extremely pi55ed off about it, and heard yesterday that they are trying to fill my old position as quickly as possible so I can't go back! That's how petty it is there!!

Anyway, I've got a forklift truck license, and need it for my new job but Calor won't release it, I've tried calling the company who done the training for a duplicate, but they say as Calor paid for it, they can't give me a copy.

Only done a refresher on the 19th November, so don't really want to have to pay £100 myself to do the course again!!
Old 12 December 2007, 11:45 AM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Cornelius
As you know, I've left Calor for a new job - however, Calor is extremely they say as Calor paid for it, they can't give me a copy.
Don't know anything about forklift truck licences but isn't it personal to you? Tell them you want a copy and the fact that Calor paid for it is **** all to do with them, what if Aunty Mabel paid for it as a birthday present what would they do then
Old 12 December 2007, 12:02 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

afaik you don't actually need a licence to drive a forklift, it's just something that companies prefer. Or that was the case when i done mine. That's why i never bothered to renew it.

It'll just make thing easier if you are ever unfortunate enough to have an accident.

Can't see Calor having any right to hold onto it as you hold the licence not them. As Milamber says it's personal to you. Does that mean that my car licence belongs to my Mum and Dad as they paid for my lessons and my test? Nope.

Hope you get it sorted mate.
Old 12 December 2007, 12:02 PM
Cornelius
Scooby Regular

Tried that mate, ALM training won't budge, been on the phone to them yesterday and today, their answer was to tetake the course
Old 12 December 2007, 12:03 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

where did you do your test?

eta - posted before i saw your reply.

Last edited by V4JDMSTi; 12 December 2007 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12 December 2007, 12:05 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Tried that mate, ALM training won't budge, been on the phone to them yesterday and today, their answer was to tetake the course
That's because they want £100 off you!
Old 12 December 2007, 12:12 PM
Mrs spec'c'57
Scooby Regular

In our company if anyone takes a paid course which is beneficial to themselves then if they leave with in a year they have to pay for the course.

Kinda like saying we will pay to train you, but we are doing this so it is beneficial to our company and our resources, not so you can go and get another job when we have invested in you!

So I reckon they are coming along the same lines.... could you not negotiate to pay £50 each and then you get the licence?
Also did they pay for the original licence or did you start work there with the licence already?
Old 12 December 2007, 12:37 PM
Cornelius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mrs spec'c'57
In our company if anyone takes a paid course which is beneficial to themselves then if they leave with in a year they have to pay for the course.

Kinda like saying we will pay to train you, but we are doing this so it is beneficial to our company and our resources, not so you can go and get another job when we have invested in you!

So I reckon they are coming along the same lines.... could you not negotiate to pay £50 each and then you get the licence?
Also did they pay for the original licence or did you start work there with the licence already?
I've had a FLT license for 6 years now, Calor paid for it all, including the intitial 3 day course, so they've had their monies worth (well IMO), the last course on the 19th was just a refresher.
Old 12 December 2007, 12:40 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Anything like this would have to be listed in the contract of employment. Or a seperate training contract. If it is then I doubt that you won't be able to do anything Paul. Similarly if it's not they can't do what they are doing. I'm sure Milamber could confirm this.
Old 12 December 2007, 12:45 PM
Mrs spec'c'57
Scooby Regular

Yes this is listed in our contract ....
Old 12 December 2007, 12:46 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by mneame
Anything like this would have to be listed in the contract of employment.
Definitely.
Old 12 December 2007, 12:46 PM
Cornelius
Scooby Regular

The best of it is mate, I worked through an agency (Costin Mckenzie) at Calor, and I never had a contract of employment.
When I handed in my notice, I gave them the required 1 weeks notice, then they reckoned that I've got a statutory legal requirement that I must give 2 weeks notice, took advice from Milamber who said that's wrong, it's only one week, then it all kicked off at Calor/Costins I demanded to see my contract of employment (as I've said I didn't get one) and they withdrew the 2 week notice period, saying it wasn't worth them bringing the contract down to clarify the situation.

In short, Calor/Costins are VERY pi55ed off with me, hence being so bloody minded!! oh well never mind, there is life outside of that place and I'm enjoying my new job
Old 12 December 2007, 12:47 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

took advice from Milamber

So much for confidentiality
Old 12 December 2007, 12:55 PM
Cornelius
Scooby Regular

oops, sorry mate
Old 12 December 2007, 12:56 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Yes this is listed in our contract ....
yup same with mine. think it's a natural thing in the city.

Last edited by V4JDMSTi; 12 December 2007 at 01:01 PM.
Old 12 December 2007, 12:57 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

The best of it is mate, I worked through an agency (Costin Mckenzie) at Calor, and I never had a contract of employment.
When I handed in my notice, I gave them the required 1 weeks notice, then they reckoned that I've got a statutory legal requirement that I must give 2 weeks notice, took advice from Milamber who said that's wrong, it's only one week, then it all kicked off at Calor/Costins I demanded to see my contract of employment (as I've said I didn't get one) and they withdrew the 2 week notice period, saying it wasn't worth them bringing the contract down to clarify the situation.

In short, Calor/Costins are VERY pi55ed off with me, hence being so bloody minded!! oh well never mind, there is life outside of that place and I'm enjoying my new job
so if there's no contract for it to be stated in then they can't hold the licence. they'd have to produce a signed contract by both you and them to get it to stick.
Old 12 December 2007, 01:01 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Milamber
So much for confidentiality
lol. it's ok the "client" released the information. The Solicitors Regulatory Authority would not tell you off for it

Just getting in practice for my new job
Old 12 December 2007, 01:09 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

What company name is on the licence?

Is it a "Calor" competency type card or is it an independant licence like a CITB/CPCS/CSCS etc.

If it's any of the CITB/CPCS/CSCS type then you should have held the licence anyway and not them.
Old 12 December 2007, 01:20 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by mneame
lol. it's ok the "client" released the information. The Solicitors Regulatory Authority would not tell you off for it

Just getting in practice for my new job

PM me with details of your new job Matt
Old 12 December 2007, 01:33 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Milamber
PM me with details of your new job Matt
PM sent
Old 12 December 2007, 01:43 PM
Cornelius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SirFozzalot
What company name is on the licence?

Is it a "Calor" competency type card or is it an independant licence like a CITB/CPCS/CSCS etc.

If it's any of the CITB/CPCS/CSCS type then you should have held the licence anyway and not them.
I haven't got a clue mate, haven't even seen the cetificate as it gets sent straight to Peter Alder, the site supervisor.

I did hear a rumour a while back about the licenses being site specific, but couln't clarify
Old 12 December 2007, 01:53 PM
Looie
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Location: It's not a Scoob, or even a Skoda, but 200bhp is on the horizon..

Paul, for £100 why not take it again at your expense and stick two fingers up to Calor? Seems like a lot of grief for £100.............. I know the principle is there, but with the higher salary............. is it really worth the bother?
Old 12 December 2007, 02:38 PM
Cornelius
Scooby Regular

You're right there, I'll probably will just book up and do the course, would rather pay ALM £100 to redo course than to pay Calor the money to cover the course fee
Old 12 December 2007, 02:58 PM
Looie
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Location: It's not a Scoob, or even a Skoda, but 200bhp is on the horizon..

Old 12 December 2007, 03:18 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

If you still work there then I have a plan

Launch off down the grievance procedure, get head office involved and let them know how much of a small minded little bully they are employing as a manger..... they've already indicated their willingness to back down when you confront them so they will probably just hand over your licence
Old 12 December 2007, 04:55 PM
Cornelius
Scooby Regular

Nope, don't work for Calor anymore, left last Friday. Am at my new job now at SharpFibre
Old 12 December 2007, 05:47 PM
Tiny
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Looie
Paul, for £100 why not take it again at your expense and stick two fingers up to Calor? Seems like a lot of grief for £100.............. I know the principle is there, but with the higher salary............. is it really worth the bother?

Whaoooooooooooo 2 Pages before someone suggested that

Phew !!
Old 12 December 2007, 06:37 PM
Cornelius
Scooby Regular

Like I said previously, I'm exploring different avenues BEFORE I part with my £100
Old 12 December 2007, 09:02 PM
Nate
Scooby Regular

Do some research into the personal life of whoever ir is causing probs, maybe dig up some dirt ..... spread it around a bit, cause him/her/them more problems than they are causing you, then they learn NOT to mess in the future

If no dirt is to be found, claim that the real reason you left was because his sexual advances were not wanted by you, and working there was becoming a pain, what with having to try and keep away from him
Old 12 December 2007, 09:40 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by *Nate*
Do some research into the personal life of whoever ir is causing probs, maybe dig up some dirt ..... spread it around a bit, cause him/her/them more problems than they are causing you, then they learn NOT to mess in the future
Have you become a scientologist

Quick Reply: Advice needed please