Notices
Essex Subaru Owners Club The official dedicated forum for Essex Subaru Owners Club Events.

Help - Stupid Question Tho

Search this Thread

Old 28 September 2007, 07:23 PM
wrxblade
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - Stupid Question Tho

How do you change the headlight bulb on an 03 wrx, im having a nightmare with it.

many thanks in advance
Old 28 September 2007, 07:42 PM
Spec'c'57
Scooby Regular

Cant help im afraid never had to change one yet....
Old 28 September 2007, 08:05 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

I seem to remember it being a nightmare too! - lucky I have a mate who sorted it for me
Old 28 September 2007, 10:51 PM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Location: You only live ONCE But if you do it right >>>>> ONCE is enough
Smile

Originally Posted by wrxblade
How do you change the headlight bulb on an 03 wrx, im having a nightmare with it.

many thanks in advance
https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-o...ght-bulbs.html

https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-o...e-grrrrrr.html

As you can see it is a bit of a tight fit to get to them. You will get more access if you remove the headlight.

The mounting points of the headlight to the car are shown in red.

These instructions are from a post by talizman.

Headlight Removal

The driver’s side requires the black plastic air ducting going to the air box be removed to allow easier access to headlight.
This is secured by 2 x 10mm bolts onto the slam panel. (shown green).
To remove the headlights, these are also secured by 2 x 10mm bolts. (shown red)

Same bolts need removed on passenger side headlight. (shown red)

On the back of each headlight, nearest the grille side, there are 2 small phillips screws holding the headlight against a bracket, which is bolted onto the slam panel behind the grille.
These screws must be removed, and can be quite fiddly and hard to get to. A magnetic screwdriver is most handy at this point!

On the driver’s side, you may require to move the power steering reservoir to get access to the screws. The bottle simply clips onto the bracket and clips on and off fairly easily. (indicated by green arrow)

Lastly, the headlights are secured inside the wing by 2 push-clips on each unit.
Once the 10mm bolts and phillips screws are removed its just a case of carefully manoeuvring the light around to unclip it. (if you have an STI, remove the fog cover and you can get your hand up behind it and un-do the lower clip from there)
Make sure you don’t catch the wing on the way out as it could dent it or chip your paintwork.

Once loose, reach in and unclip the 4 multiplugs. (sidelight, indicator, headlight and adjuster motor)

The headlight should pull free now, and repeat on the other side.

I had to take my headlights out when I was detangoing the lenses & upgraded to better bulbs & silver vision indicator ones.

I live in Braintree 5 minutes from Freeport so if you want any help give me a shout.

Mark
Old 29 September 2007, 07:43 AM
Tiny
Scooby Regular

Welcome Back FE

With yet another great imformative post
Old 29 September 2007, 03:19 PM
wrxblade
Scooby Newbie

Thanks very much,

But after buying upgraded bulbs from halfords that were the wrong sort even with the advice of the spares manager as both the computer and their book state the wrong bulb, i ranted and raved this morning at them, and the manager agreed to fit them free of charge........in which the technician was f'ing and blinding for about 40 mins, saying he should be charging me 75 quid to do this......i just stood, admired and laughed.

Im sure glad i didnt have to do it.

Many thanks for the advice tho.........but mine is goto Halfords, let them supply the wrong bulb then get them to fit them free of charge......oh and heres another thing, the xenon 30 bright bulbs are 10 quid each, but if you buy the xenon super bright bulbs at 15 quid each they are actually buy one get one free (but they dont advertise that!!!!) so you get a better bulb cheaper
Old 29 September 2007, 07:54 PM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Location: You only live ONCE But if you do it right >>>>> ONCE is enough
Smile

Originally Posted by wrxblade
Thanks very much,

But after buying upgraded bulbs from halfords that were the wrong sort even with the advice of the spares manager as both the computer and their book state the wrong bulb, i ranted and raved this morning at them, and the manager agreed to fit them free of charge........in which the technician was f'ing and blinding for about 40 mins, saying he should be charging me 75 quid to do this......i just stood, admired and laughed.

Im sure glad i didnt have to do it.

Many thanks for the advice tho.........but mine is go to Halfords, let them supply the wrong bulb then get them to fit them free of charge......oh and heres another thing, the xenon 30 bright bulbs are 10 quid each, but if you buy the xenon super bright bulbs at 15 quid each they are actually buy one get one free (but they dont advertise that!!!!) so you get a better bulb cheaper
Fitted free? Well that's a result then, nice one.

My upgrade was to all Philips bulbs.There are better/dearer systems but I found this to be the most cost effective upgrade for my needs.

For future reference for any MY03 owners the bulb types are as follows (but don't tell Halfords )

H1 12V 55W Vision Plus 50% more light & 10-20m longer beam.

HB3 12V 60W Premium 30% more light.

WY21W 12V 21W Silver Vision (for detangoed indicators)

W5W 12V 5W Blue Vision Ultra Blue 3400 Kelvin

I can't remember what I paid but I phoned these guys (01244 881961) & mentioned Scoobynet & got a cracking deal, so good I bought a spare set of everything.

Philips HID,Philips Visionplus,Philips BlueVision,Philips DiamondVision, Philips Power2night and GE HID,GE Megalightplus, GE Euroblue sold by the industry experts

HTH

Mark