Notices
Essex Subaru Owners Club The official dedicated forum for Essex Subaru Owners Club Events.

Rainy day out - 56k beware (big time)...

Search this Thread

Old 19 August 2007, 08:05 PM
Looie
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Location: It's not a Scoob, or even a Skoda, but 200bhp is on the horizon..
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rainy day out - 56k beware (big time)...

Well, while you lot were enjoying yourself at Brands Hatch in the rain, I was up at the Imperial War Museum at Duxford with the Cambridge Scooby Crew, in the rain, at the Classic Car Show being held there.

The SIDC also had a stand there, and both Steve (WRX_YANK) and myself were there so I guess we were unofficially representing the ESC. They had 27 cars down to go, and I “think” that about 20 turned up, so no different to us then! Only one stickered up Scooby though….. !!

It was a bit wet for the morning, but fortunately the rain eased off around lunchtime and it meant we were at last able to look at the cars instead of staying in the various Museums that seemed very attractive when it meant you were inside out of the rain!

Of the cars – well, what a grand selection on offer, from Alvis to MG to Lotus to Daimler to Rolls Royce to AC to Mustang to Jaguars etc, etc – the choice of cars to look at (both old and new) was amazing….!!

I took lots of photos, and I’ve included some of the better ones here – just to whet your appetite. Think I will go again next year, when hopefully the weather will be a bit kinder!

I also went round all the museums on offer and that alone was worth the trip up there – the range of planes (restored and in the process of restoration), mini-exhibitions, tanks, guns, military vehicles of all sorts, and to me some of the most important reasons to go there – one of the test Concorde’s, a B52 Bomber and a USA “Stealth” plane was an education – to anyone who has never been – it’s worth the trip!

I also took loads of photos of this side as well, and I’ve also put a selection up on here – hopefully this thread won’t be too big for SN to display with all these images.

Now the Museum itself:

Old 20 August 2007, 11:09 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was there, too! I think about 25 Scoobs turned up. Shame about the weather but at least it cleared in the afternoon.
I found it a bit sad that the Subaru's all disappeared early - except mine. I got back to the area around 3:30 to find mine was the only one left! Most of everything else was still there.
I actually found it refreshing to see that there WAS only one stickered-up version!
Good set of shots there of some very (and not so very) desirable motors!
JohnD
Old 20 August 2007, 11:14 AM
Baza1954
Scooby Regular

Great pics
Old 20 August 2007, 11:29 AM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

ditto the above. shame it was on the same day as the btcc as i'd have come along if not. maybe next year.
Old 20 August 2007, 12:36 PM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2

Looie , I was there too on Sunday , but not in the Scoob ,as Mrs has taken it camping ....ALONG WITH THE UMBRELLA IN THE BOOT , so I got a little bit wet .Duxford is a good day out , shame about our british summer

Dave
Old 20 August 2007, 02:29 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mneame
ditto the above. shame it was on the same day as the btcc as i'd have come along if not. maybe next year.
And Donny South at North Weald!
JohnD
Old 20 August 2007, 08:57 PM
Kevin Baker
Scooby Newbie

Hi Guys

Great pics Looie

I'd like to thank you all for joining us on such a dismal day.I hope you all had a great time and we'll see you back again next year.

I have to agree JohnD it was a shame everyone left so early, but then in fairness we were the only club stand that had 20+ cars at 9.30, some only had 2s & 3s an hour later! I was still seeing new arrivals at mid-day! My fault, maybe next year we'll do a later start.

Great to meet you all, see you again sometime soon

Kevin
Cambs SIDC RO
Old 20 August 2007, 09:14 PM
Looie
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by JohnD
I was there, too! I think about 25 Scoobs turned up. Shame about the weather but at least it cleared in the afternoon.
I found it a bit sad that the Subaru's all disappeared early - except mine. I got back to the area around 3:30 to find mine was the only one left! Most of everything else was still there.
I actually found it refreshing to see that there WAS only one stickered-up version! JohnD
Hi John, never realised you were there as well......... we came back to the Subaru site to find about 5 or 6 left (about 3.15pm-ish) and boy we was cream crackered , we were going to have a cup of tea from the nearby burger stall, but TBH we had spent longer than we thought we would walking around and we decided to be on our way... was a great day though, even despite the rain
Old 20 August 2007, 09:16 PM
Looie
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by IN THE STICKS
Looie , I was there too on Sunday , but not in the Scoob ,as Mrs has taken it camping ....ALONG WITH THE UMBRELLA IN THE BOOT , so I got a little bit wet .Duxford is a good day out , shame about our british summer

Dave
Going camping in a Scoob............ well I never....

I bet we crossed at some point and never realised!
Old 20 August 2007, 09:20 PM
Looie
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Kevin Baker
Hi Guys

Great pics Looie

I'd like to thank you all for joining us on such a dismal day.I hope you all had a great time and we'll see you back again next year.

I have to agree JohnD it was a shame everyone left so early, but then in fairness we were the only club stand that had 20+ cars at 9.30, some only had 2s & 3s an hour later! I was still seeing new arrivals at mid-day! My fault, maybe next year we'll do a later start.

Great to meet you all, see you again sometime soon

Kevin
Cambs SIDC RO
Hi Kevin - nice to meet you and thanks for organising this and letting me put my name down. I agree, some of the stands were a bit "thin", and I didn't think the Evo stand has as many cars as the Subaru one, so bonus points for us I think!

Hopefully next year the weather wiill be a bit better.
Old 20 August 2007, 11:17 PM
BRI4N
Scooby Regular

Great pics Looie.

The museum looks alot different to when I was last there...... In about 1980
Old 21 August 2007, 11:08 AM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2

Originally Posted by Looie
Going camping in a Scoob............ well I never....

I bet we crossed at some point and never realised!
I'm sure we must have crossed at some point , I had a wonder around the Scoobs but you all must have been taking cover in the hangers

Dave
Old 21 August 2007, 08:15 PM
wrx_yank
Scooby Regular

it was a great day!