Notices
Essex Subaru Owners Club The official dedicated forum for Essex Subaru Owners Club Events.

The RING Virgin ....

Search this Thread

Old 01 August 2007, 03:44 PM
AllenJ
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The RING Virgin ....

How well does the PS game prepare you ?

I'm cooll on the game, well sort off, down to minimal crashes.....

I'm not after setting time records... hahahhaaaaa, but, beating Sabrina will be good. LOL

Seriously...... I'm going to attempt it next week and in september...

Advice appreciated.

Ta
Old 01 August 2007, 03:49 PM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Location: Going further than the station and back !!! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

getting her name right would be better

i think frayz watched loads of in car vids, IIRC, and learned the track inside out, corner by corner.

something which is hard to do if concentrating on driving (like in Gran Turismo)

i'm sure he'll post up some ideas....

too scarey for me i'm afraid, but wish you well with it!!! - everyone i know who's done it, gets the bug!!!
Old 01 August 2007, 03:51 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll reply properly to this later once im home.
Old 01 August 2007, 05:22 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

start off carefully would probably be a good place. heard too many horror stories about the ring.

in game speeds aren't going to be anything like what they are on the real track and there are all the bumps to think about. just don't get caught out with becoming too confident too.

i'd love to drive the ring but don't trust myself. that and the fact that the gearing or speed limitet on the ra isn't really up to it
Old 01 August 2007, 05:56 PM
itworldwide
Scooby Regular

I'm there this weekend and 8-11th September if your about...
Old 01 August 2007, 06:11 PM
bibo_boy
Scooby Regular

I'm going soon.... just need to sort brakes...

I'm just doing a handfull of laps at normal road pace

Nice and relaxed... I spent 3 years living in Germany near to the Ring so know what it's about....

Never went on it though!
Old 01 August 2007, 06:49 PM
wozzaa
Scooby Regular

Remember this is no ordenery track day.
Drive at a pace that your comfortable with don't try & over drive this track.
there are loads of people i know that have driven & riden hundreds of laps of the ring & still get caught out.
If it's your first time just enjoy the experince.
If you can try & follow some one who knows the ring(at a pace your comfortable with)
Old 01 August 2007, 07:43 PM
AllenJ
Scooby Regular

Ok, so her name is Sabina, drop the R.

I guess i've blown my chances of taking her to dinner now. LOL

Thanx for the advice and I'll be awaiting Frayz's review.

Itworldwide, I'll be back there last week in Sept.
Old 02 August 2007, 01:13 AM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry i couldnt post earlier, it takes me ages to write stuff on my mobile when im at work lol.

Get her name right, its Sabine lol

First of all, good man for wanting to run the ring. Its the most awesome place on earth.

Belive it or not, using a game to practice the ring is quite a handy tool. It will give you at least a good insight as to where youre going. It will not however show you the lumps, bumps and undulations in the track.

The ring is set in a forrest around castle Nurburg. You will simply not belive how much the track rises and falls in places, some parts like (Exmuhle) you feel like you need more power just to get up the incline.

The difference between the highest point on the circuit (Hohe Acht) meaning high eight and the lowest point at (Bridscheid bridge) is 300m. That altitude is covered in only a few miles and all the rest is in beween.
That should give you an idea as to how much the track rises and falls and shows you what youre up against. Because of this a good 70% of the corners are completely blind and some are situated on blind crests too.

For this reason is suggest that you try and watch as many ring videos as possible and learn the track in sections. There are 147 corners over 20.8Km and unless you know every corner its quite possible for you to come unstuck very quickly.

Ive also found it good to learn the coner names as this gives you a mental reference as to where you are on the track. Also if you come accross an accident then you can call the ADAC and explain where you are. Its very easy to get lost on the back parts of the track as you may think youre in one place and youre actually somewhere else.

Try and give the car a good once over before you go. ie new brake fluid, pads, oil change etc.
Also do routine checks before heading out on the circuit. Oil, tyre pressures etc.

Do not attempt to film on the ring, you will be banned!!

Do not go there and expect to drive it quickly, you simply will not. You will get passed by seemingly slower cars, dont worry. Theyre actually faster lol

Do not go there and expect a sub 10 min lap first time out, it wont happen.

Do not give it the biggun in the carpark, this will only get you a noise test and frowns from the locals. There are hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of cars there inc almost every car you could think of. Theyre not impressed by a lairy impreza lol.

If you must go out in the wet exercise extreme caution. The ring is like an ice rink in the wet and can be nigh on undriveable in places. Be very careful, especially under the tree lying sections as these are very very slippery.

Also be cautious of cold tyres on the start of your laps. Go slowly and do a few sighting laps before attempting to drive at a faster pace.

Do not overtake without consent from the leading car. Its courteous and is the safest way when on track. Others may not exercise this method but it generally keeps you safe.

Keep an eye out for cars behind you, there will be all sorts of German stuff coming past you left right and centre inc bikes. They can tend to barge past so just keep your eyes peeled.

If possible try and get tucked in behind a car that clearly knows the circuit well and watch for their lines and braking areas. You may not keep with them but let them be your guide as best you can.

Remember that cars are expensive to replace and so is Armaco, the #1 thing to remember is you must come home with you and your car in 1 piece.

Have fun and be safe, i know you'll come home wanting more.

Good luck

Frayz

Last edited by frayz; 02 August 2007 at 03:02 AM.
Old 02 August 2007, 08:05 AM
Granby
Scooby Regular

Nice write up frayz, i'm the same as Ade as it will also be my first time around the RING in just under 2 weeks so i think i'll follow you Ade
Thanks for letting us know about filming being banned as i had planned on doing some, now i can't

ps...just found my copy of "On Track Nuurburgring" so i think i'm gonna be watching that a few times

Last edited by Granby; 02 August 2007 at 08:17 AM.
Old 02 August 2007, 08:14 AM
bibo_boy
Scooby Regular

Anyone have any good "ring" vids or is it a case of U Tube?
Old 02 August 2007, 09:15 AM
Mark_B4
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bibo_boy
I think Zak has a couple on the MOCOM website, under tracks

Mocom Racing - Performance car and trackday products

Spec C at a very silly pace

Last edited by Mark_B4; 02 August 2007 at 09:19 AM.
Old 02 August 2007, 09:26 AM
Granby
Scooby Regular

If you can get a copy of "On Track Nuurburgring" it's well worth it, theres one part where he takes you on a lap of the ring and explains every corner , i've just been watching it now although i think i'm more nervous now than i was before
Old 02 August 2007, 10:05 AM
matgto
Scooby Regular

Very good post by frayz about the ring

i've been on the ring about 10 times and drive about 100-120 laps and i even now sometimes forgot how can be one or another corner. I always think now that you need about 150 laps to know perfectly the ring and learn in some videos or video games... may i'm little slowly to learn the track :P last weekend i was in the nurburgring and on 14 laps on the ring, i became to never forgot a corner now it's became good

I was before driving on the ring with a 95 Mazda RX7 single turbo and got last year a 8:15min with that car...

now with a scooby Sti v.4 about 300bhp (exhaust fmic...) i got a 8:23 last weekend... so not bad at all!!!

I will be on the ring in end of august or in start of september!! if someone plan a trip to the ring on these dates... let me know

Just if it's your first time... be careful about another users of the track!!! it's a really important rule because if you go in the week-end... if the weather is good... there will be a lot of users and if you go for the first time... you will have maybe 90% of people on the ring that will know more the track than you!! just look on your mirrors often

As for take a film on the ring... you can be banned but... if you got some spy cameras... i was put a cam on my rx7 in the front bumper and it's working very good!! i also already had take a film by inside the car with an usual cam... just must to hide! if you afraid that they can see you. if it's the first time they will just say that it's prohibited

(sorry for my english... i know that it's not so good !!)

let me know if someone go on my dates!! will be happy to meet somebody from scoobynet

Last edited by matgto; 02 August 2007 at 10:06 AM. Reason: image not working!
Old 02 August 2007, 02:29 PM
AllenJ
Scooby Regular

Thank you guys and Frayz, that was cool.

I do have a few vids to watch, "On Track Nuurburgring", being one of them. very good indeed + a few more.

Ian, we can both be 'driving Miss Daisy' if you like. LOL
Old 02 August 2007, 02:36 PM
bibo_boy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AllenJ

I do have a few vids to watch, "On Track Nuurburgring", being one of them. very good indeed + a few more.

When you going mate? I'd be interested in a small road trip but can't do 8-24 Sept as I'm away....

Don't know if it helps? But I get quite a good disount on channel crossings through the Army? Might help?
Old 02 August 2007, 05:22 PM
"MADDOG"
Scooby Regular

AllenJ, if you want a few pax laps in our race prepped Golf I and my son will be over there from the 4th - 11th...............Frayz forgot to mention don't forget a credit card..............just incase

regards "MADDOG"
Old 02 August 2007, 06:15 PM
Granby
Scooby Regular

Too right Ade, not really into track days anymore but can't miss going around the ring
Old 03 August 2007, 10:22 AM
AllenJ
Scooby Regular

When you going mate? I'd be interested in a small road trip but can't do 8-24 Sept as I'm away....

Don't know if it helps? But I get quite a good disount on channel crossings through the Army? Might help?

I'll hopefully be there 15th/16th of August and back again around the 30th of September or thereabouts enroute home from the Euro blast.
Only if i have any thread left on my tyres.

AllenJ, if you want a few pax laps in our race prepped Golf I and my son will be over there from the 4th - 11th...............Frayz forgot to mention don't forget a credit card..............just incase

regards "MADDOG"
Shame I won't be there, I'd have loved to join you guys.
It's tempting to book a fast lap in the M5 though. If spaces are still available, which i doubt.

Once again thanks for all the advise.

Are you sure I won't be too slow for you Ian ? LOL
Old 03 August 2007, 12:09 PM
Granby
Scooby Regular

Are you sure I won't be too slow for you Ian ? LOL
Nope
Old 03 August 2007, 12:20 PM
bibo_boy
Scooby Regular