Notices
Essex Subaru Owners Club The official dedicated forum for Essex Subaru Owners Club Events.

help needed with speed camera detectors

Search this Thread

Old 14 March 2007, 09:03 PM
leescoobynut
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question help needed with speed camera detectors

does anyone know what the laws are on speed camera detectors in your own car,i just want to know what is illegal, i read on a web site that these some speed detectors are now illegal,i have a road angle compact witch is a gps unit,and is used on a data base ,but i have an extra add on which is the laser and mobile camrea detector witch goes on top of the unit.any help please.
Old 14 March 2007, 09:12 PM
Adidas
Scooby Regular

Jammers are a BIG . Ultimately you could serve up to 7 years inside for attempting/perverting the course of justice for using one.

Things like Tom Tom etc are legal to use as they are sold as accident hot spot detectors, which just happen to have speed cameras at the same location.

HTH
Old 14 March 2007, 09:33 PM
leescoobynut
Scooby Regular

does that mean that my road angle is ok to use,,its more the laser and mobile van detector which i herd may be illegal now that im worried about, i bought the extra laser to go with it which is made as part of the road angle,but sold on its own so have to buy seperate,so me having this which detects laser guns,mobile vans is ok to use
Old 14 March 2007, 09:37 PM
Looie
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Location: It's not a Scoob, or even a Skoda, but 200bhp is on the horizon..

I know the Road Angel Compact you talk about - I had one for a while before upgrading to the Road Angel Plus after making a lot of research on the possible legal consequences.

The "Add On" you mention - if it's the small thing that sits/clips on the top that actually detects the laser guns (and I "think" that's what you are talking about), then "IF" they ever pass the law making these unlawful then all you do is remove that part and carry on using it - the Compact unit itself will still be fully legal.

The problem if they pass the law is that ones like mine (Angel Plus) WILL be unlawful unless the laser detector part can be disabled, which of course it can't, so it will end up in the bin!

If the "Add On" you have is actually a JAMMER - then (as Adidas quotes) you are in the brown stuff..... !!

Hope that helps.
Old 14 March 2007, 09:53 PM
leescoobynut
Scooby Regular

yeah thats the bit im talking about the add on that clips on the top,i dont think its a jammer as i dont think halfords would sell it if jammers are illegal,all it does is warn me that there is a mobile van coming up ahead if it detects it or a sneaky police man is pointing a laser gun at me tryin to get my speed and it says to slow down,is that ok to use,not looking forward to putting it in the bin if i carnt use it
Old 14 March 2007, 10:31 PM
Looie
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Location: It's not a Scoob, or even a Skoda, but 200bhp is on the horizon..

Yeh, that what I thought - stay with what you've got and you will be OK.
Old 14 March 2007, 10:50 PM
leescoobynut
Scooby Regular

nice one atleast i know now that the one i have is ok to use,will keep using it now,cheers for info
Old 14 March 2007, 11:30 PM
Cornelius
Scooby Regular

I believe that GPS units are ok under the current legislation, but the non GPS radar/laser detector and the plug in radar/laser units for GPS are coming under scrutiny and could be made illegal to use, I could be wrong