Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

ECU Data Logging

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2014, 06:02 PM
JDM_333
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECU Data Logging

I'm in the market for a ECU data logger mainly for the purpose of "I'm interested in the data" only.

I've searched old posts but wondered what is on the market circa late 2013 / 2014 that you would recommend?

I'm hoping for some kind of Bluetooth / WiFi dongle that I can hook my laptop to (or iPhone maybe) instead of messing around with cables.

Any recommendations?

Not bothered about gauges and fancy stuff just want the raw data.

Cheers
Old 10 February 2014, 10:05 AM
dave_t
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Torque Pro" app assuming you have an andriod phone (or tablet with Bluetooth).
Do a bolt load of stuff with it and its cheap as chips.
"Send logging information to web or email CSV/KML for analysis via excel / openoffice reader"

Excuse the lengthy cut & paste below:

See what your car is doing in realtime, get OBD fault codes, car performance, sensor data and more!

Torque is a vehicle / car performance / diagnostics tool and scanner that uses an OBD II Bluetooth adapter to connect to your OBD2 engine management / ECU

Layout your own dashboard with the widgets / gauges you want!

It can use the GPS to provide tracker logs with OBD engine logging so you can see what you were doing at any point in time

It can also show and reset a DTC / CEL / fault code like a scantool. Helps you fix your car and helps keep repair costs down!

Torque also features:
* Dyno / Dynomometer and Horsepower/HP & Torque
* Can read Transmission Temperatures (vehicle dependant)
* 0-60 speed timings - more accurate than just using plain GPS,see how fast your car is (or truck )
* CO2 emissions readout
* Customisable dashboard & profiles
* Video your journey using the Track Recorder plugin with onscreen OBDII data overlay - a black box for your car/truck!
* Automatically send GPS tagged tweets directly to twitter (for example if you are going on a road trip)
* Massive fault code database for lookup of fault codes from different manufacturers
* Theme support (choose from different themes to change the look of your dashboard)
* Send logging information to web or email CSV/KML for analysis via excel / openoffice reader
* Heads up display / HUD mode for night time driving
* Compass (GPS Based) that won't suffer magnetic interference
* GPS Speedometer/Tracking and realtime web upload capability - see what you were doing and your engine, at a point in time
* Turbo boost feature for vehicles that support MAP and MAF sensors (VW & Golf / Audi / Seat etc supported)
* Alarms and warnings (for example if your coolant temperature goes over 120C whilst driving) with voice/speech overlay
* Car dock support
* Graph data
* MPG
* Able to share screenshots to Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Email, etc
* AIDL API for third party apps, A simple Telnet interface for developers to talk to the adapter, and an OBD scanner.
* Works on tablet devices like the Motorola Xoom, Dell Streak, Samsung Galaxy Tab and Nook
Works on any vehicle that uses the OBD 2 standard (most vehicles built after 2000, but can work for vehicles as far back as 1996) if in doubt check with your manufacturer first or look for 'OBD2' on written on a big white label in your engine bay
Works on vehicles made by Ford, VW, GM/Vauxhall/Opel, Chrysler, Mercedes, Volkswagen, Audi, Jaguar, Citroen, Peugoet, Skoda, Kia, Mazda, Lexus, Subaru, Renault, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Honda, Hyundai, BMW, Toyota, Seat, Dodge, Jeep, Pontiac and many more vehicle makes, European, US, Far East, etc. Some vehicle ECUs may support more/less features than others
The app needs a Bluetooth OBD2 adapter to work. The adapter is small and plugs into the diagnostics socket on the car which gives your phone access. You can find a list of adapters on: http://torque-bhp.com/wiki/Bluetooth_Adapters (Garmin EcoRoute HD adapters not supported)
If you buy one of the cheap china OBD2 ELM327 bluetooth adapters from ebay / amazon, then make sure you have a good returns policy with the seller
Some of the best reliable OBD2 / OBD adapters are the Scantool.net adapter, the OBDKey, and PLX Devices, OBDLink, Bluetooth, ELM327 and other adapters are supported - search on google for them
More features added every release - there are forums at http://torque-bhp.com/forums/ - if you want something added then let me know and I'll try to add it if it is possible! Vehicle ECUs vary in the amount of sensors supported

Last edited by dave_t; 10 February 2014 at 10:08 AM.
Old 10 February 2014, 11:26 PM
JDM_333
Scooby Regular

Thanks Dave that looks really good, are you using this yourself? if so any chance of some demo pics??? which Bluetooth adapter are you using?
Old 10 February 2014, 11:43 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Hi there

Torque Pro is good app,but its not data logger such as RomRaider(RR)Learning View or EcuFlash/EvoScan and many others

If you are looking for something like app which will replace gauges,yes you can use Torque pro,but still you can't log Oil pressure,Oil Temp,Wideband etc

For something like this which will allow to you log those,you will need aftermarket ECU,which has have all this on the board,but yes you will need aftermarket sensors too for that

Really depends what data you want to log,I've used Torque App on Mondeo ST TDCI or Honda Type R and many other cars and you can use this as yours error code reader,I've used ELM327 on those cars and I think this should work too on Subaru,but sadly this ELM327 will not work with above mentioned programs like RomRaider/EvoScan or EcuEdit/EcuFlash

Jura
Old 13 February 2014, 09:08 PM
JDM_333
Scooby Regular

Thanks Jura for your info, just wondered if it was possible to log the data in raw form somehow but I might look into it later when I consider an after market ECU.

How are you anyway mate? Has the car pretty much gone now?
Old 14 February 2014, 05:11 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JDM_333
Thanks Jura for your info, just wondered if it was possible to log the data in raw form somehow but I might look into it later when I consider an after market ECU.

How are you anyway mate? Has the car pretty much gone now?
Hi there

You still can log data via RomRaider and many other SW above mentioned and then at home have look on them or do you want them have displayed all the time those data?

Aftermarket ECU like Syvecs is worthwhile investment and its worth it to have,just due datalogging,agree is expensive for start,but its worth it

I'm fine,selling going slowly and yes pretty much yes parts are gone

Thanks,Jura