Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

MY99 ECU E3 A800

Search this Thread

Old 14 November 2013, 06:57 PM
Coppin1991
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY99 ECU E3 A800

hi people i've been told that even without the ecu being remapped that the E3 A800 ecu makes the car run slightly rich is this true and also my car has a manual boost controller which is set to 0.9 bar boost does anyone know how much i can turn the boost up to keep the car running safe boost without damaging the engine or will i only find this out by a mapper who can do a air/fuel ratio check or something??

thanks
Old 14 November 2013, 07:30 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the car is healthy (including MAF) and has standard induction with high octane fuel it can safely boost to beyond the stock overboost fuel cut.
Old 14 November 2013, 08:01 PM
Coppin1991
Scooby Regular

well it just had a full service including cambelt it has an induction kit but changing it back to the standard air box and cosworth panel filter and i always use high octane fuel so i was thinking of putting the boost up to about 1.1 bar which it was on before i changed it back to 0.9 bar because some people say it could blow the engine out putting the boost to high.
Old 15 November 2013, 11:50 AM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 243 Likes on 182 Posts

take it to a rolling road near you. get them to put it on the rollers and monitor the AFR's, they can keep increasing boost gradually and more importantly safely - therefore advising you on a boost level to run.

but yes your stock ecu runs very rich as std
Old 15 November 2013, 01:46 PM
Coppin1991
Scooby Regular

ok mate well what i'm going to do is putting the boost to about 1.0 bar to be safe because i spoke to JGM and they said they don't really do that sort of thing because is a bit of a bodge job or something but he gave me a price of £954 for an Alcatek ECU supply and fit and map and this is also going to be running mafless which they said will make the car run nicely.
But do you know of anyone in Essex who has a rolling road and can monitor the AFR and make my car run safe boost just for the time being so i can save money up for the new alcatek ECU?
Old 15 November 2013, 02:24 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

The induction kit is the main concern, depending on its type it may affect MAF readings and advance the timing and lean the fuelling.

I wouldn't measure AFR on rollers when you can do it easily in real life with proper airflow and loading, and £954 is expensive for the age and value of the car and compared to the value of another engine depending on whether you spanner yourself.

There are also ways of removing the overboost fuel cut, but if you don't know what you're doing it can be dangerous.

Depends on budget and perceived risk. You will find previous posts on this.
Old 15 November 2013, 02:24 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 243 Likes on 182 Posts

wouldnt know any in Essex as im in Belfast

but found this might help you
https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...-in-essex.html
Old 15 November 2013, 02:35 PM
Coppin1991
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
The induction kit is the main concern, depending on its type it may affect MAF readings and advance the timing and lean the fuelling.

I wouldn't measure AFR on rollers when you can do it easily in real life with proper airflow and loading, and £954 is expensive for the age and value of the car and compared to the value of another engine depending on whether you spanner yourself.

There are also ways of removing the overboost fuel cut, but if you don't know what you're doing it can be dangerous.

Depends on budget and perceived risk. You will find previous posts on this.
really i thought that price was quite reasonable what price is good for that sort of ecu then mate and the only reason my car has a manual boost controller is because the previous owner said to me it was overboosting and something about fuel cut so he putting a manual boost controller on it to stable the boost i think because he put a few upgrades on the car without remapping it so i think thats why it was overboosting
Old 15 November 2013, 03:12 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

On the standard turbo, I wouldn't bother with the commercial costs of remaps or replacement ECUs on this age of car as I think they are very poor value for the gains.

It is a big if, but if whoever knows what they are doing setting it up you can get remarkable and safe results without a remap. Before I started mapping commercially in 2002 I did loads of testing on the MY99/00 UK Turbo and achieved excellent results with or without remaps.

The new ECU comes into its own with bigger turbos, built engines, larger injectors etc. Remapping the standard ECU should be a bit cheaper and just as effective. Shame there was never any open source on this model.
Old 15 November 2013, 03:17 PM
Coppin1991
Scooby Regular

oh ok i understand what your saying so should i go to a mapper who can do a AFR and maybe tune the boost controller to a safe boost level and when im looking to put bigger turbo's etc. then maybe look into changing or remapping my ecu?

Also do you know of any mappers who can check the AFR on a rolling road and tune the boost controller to a safe reading for the engine near Brentwood, Essex?

Last edited by Coppin1991; 15 November 2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old 15 November 2013, 03:47 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Mappers will probably want to sell you a map. It really depends how much you want or are able to DIY.
Old 15 November 2013, 03:54 PM
Coppin1991
Scooby Regular

i'm not too good with DIY but what ill do is get my mechanic to just set the manual boost controller so its putting out standard boost 0.9 bar just to be safe mate
but in your own opinion john would you if you were in my sistuation put the boost to 0.9 bar or put it to about 1.0 bar as it been on 1.08 bar for a long time as the previous owner said.

Last edited by Coppin1991; 15 November 2013 at 05:22 PM.
Old 15 November 2013, 10:10 PM
Lewis81
Scooby Newbie

Where can I get my 1998 impreza remapped as every time I try boost my car starts popping and loses power as such it's had a lot of up grades with a td05 on it A800-000 Dv8 is my ecu sp sti

Last edited by Lewis81; 15 November 2013 at 10:16 PM.
Old 15 November 2013, 10:23 PM
Coppin1991
Scooby Regular

well you could try Jolly Green Monster there in kent mate
http://www.jollygreenmonster.com/subaru.htm

Or try Extreme Scoobies in Chelmsford
http://www.extremescoobies.co.uk/
Old 15 November 2013, 10:27 PM
Lewis81
Scooby Newbie

Thanks I'm in essex anyway
Old 15 November 2013, 10:29 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Coppin1991
i'm not too good with DIY but what ill do is get my mechanic to just set the manual boost controller so its putting out standard boost 0.9 bar just to be safe mate
but in your own opinion john would you if you were in my sistuation put the boost to 0.9 bar or put it to about 1.0 bar as it been on 1.08 bar for a long time as the previous owner said.
If it was mine, and it was in good condition, I would run 1.3 to 1.4 bar for road use in Scotland on 99 RON with exhaust and an open source datalog to check knock retard and put in my old wideband to check. However, some think I am reckless. Having made 406 BHP on one of these (standard unopened) engines without issue until we pulled out the working engine to put in a forged one, then I think that 1.3 bar is barely tickling it, but the cost of an engine is less than a set of brakes or tyres for many cars and if going into it with this attitude I wouldn't care. Depends on your view of risk.
Old 15 November 2013, 10:48 PM
Coppin1991
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
If it was mine, and it was in good condition, I would run 1.3 to 1.4 bar for road use in Scotland on 99 RON with exhaust and an open source datalog to check knock retard and put in my old wideband to check. However, some think I am reckless. Having made 406 BHP on one of these (standard unopened) engines without issue until we pulled out the working engine to put in a forged one, then I think that 1.3 bar is barely tickling it, but the cost of an engine is less than a set of brakes or tyres for many cars and if going into it with this attitude I wouldn't care. Depends on your view of risk.
well i'm going to install a wideband very soon so do you think if i leave my car running at 1.08 bar this is more than safe even with all my upgrades??
and when i get the wideband installed what readings are normal for a subaru turbo mate
Old 15 November 2013, 10:50 PM
Coppin1991
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lewis81
Thanks I'm in essex anyway
yeah i'm in essex to mate but i'm sure there a few more people about in essex who can do remap.
start a new thread about if anyone knows who can do remaps in essex see what other people say mate
Old 15 November 2013, 11:05 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Coppin1991
well i'm going to install a wideband very soon so do you think if i leave my car running at 1.08 bar this is more than safe even with all my upgrades??
and when i get the wideband installed what readings are normal for a subaru turbo mate
1.08 bar on a healthy car with correct AFR and no knock is fine.

Richer than 11.5 AFR on full boost after 4000 RPM should be fine, it will probably dip into high 10s at the top, depending on induction and boost level.
Old 15 November 2013, 11:07 PM
Coppin1991
Scooby Regular

ok mate thanks for your help with everything
Old 16 November 2013, 11:20 AM
Mocom Racing
Former Sponsor

Arrow TD04 boost levels on a standar engine

As John has already stated, and contrary to popular belief, it can be fine running a healthy slug of boost through the TD04 on a standard engine, the video below shows a UK Turbo 2000 with minimal mods*** running 1.48bar from the off

Whilst remapping is the ideal way to achieve the best from your set-up you can achieve a decent performance increase with a boost controller alone if you don't take the p and use a little monitoring to ensure you have adequate fuelling and no detonation, it may not be optimal as you're reliant on the MAF and what's in the standard map to apply the fuel for the airflow it see's but if it's rich enough it should be OK. If it starts to knock.........add some octane
A boost controller like Apexi's AVCR allows boost profiles per gear so you can run less boost in top gear which is ideal where as a basic boost controller will have to be set-up with the highest desirable boost in top, resulting in lower boost levels in each of the lower gears.

***minimal mod list - 3" decat exhaust system, generic K&N cone filter, MY04 WRX top mounted intercooler, oil/air separator & catch tank, remapped MY99 Subaru ECU using EcuLabs to take advantage of it's motorsport functions such as launch control and independent wastegate duty and boost target maps per gear.

Old 16 November 2013, 12:00 PM
Coppin1991
Scooby Regular

oh ok well im i'm just talking to someone in Chelmsford who specializes in subaru's and he said he can do a afr check so im going to leave the boost on 1.08 bar and see what the reading say but thanks again people been a brilliant help