Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Alkatec/Simtek or ESL

Old 24 August 2013, 05:41 PM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alkatec/Simtek or ESL

If ESL had LC or AL I wouldn't be asking the question.
I'd be looking to have either Sim/Alkatec mapped twice, running in then full map after x miles.
Is remapping a Sim/Alkatec expensive?.
Old 24 August 2013, 06:58 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

No more than any other ecu
Old 24 August 2013, 09:47 PM
joe v3sti
Scooby Regular

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Mate I'm really happy with my alcatek, I think it would be a great coice considering your spec, plus it's very coast effective.
Old 24 August 2013, 10:55 PM
James N
Scooby Regular

The new version of the ESL does have LC/AL option doesn't it?
Website states 'coming soon' or something but I'm sure its available now.

http://www.enduringsolutions.com/

Give Duncan @ Race Dynamics a call, he's handy with those & will know exactly whats available
Old 25 August 2013, 01:01 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there

Really depends what you are want from ECU and from this I would decide

Mapping both ECU is same and usually you will need to pay extra for activation of the LC and ALS

If its budget don'y look further and get Syvecs,its more expensive than Alcatek or ESL,but is the best to the date ECU and if you want sell Syvecs,Syvecs have still good resale value,which I cannot say about the Alcatek or ESL

Jura
Old 25 August 2013, 06:36 AM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joe v3sti
Mate I'm really happy with my alcatek, I think it would be a great coice considering your spec, plus it's very coast effective.
I'm very tempted by the Alcatek, can you/how do you switch between maps on an Alcatek?.

Originally Posted by James N
The new version of the ESL does have LC/AL option doesn't it?
Website states 'coming soon' or something but I'm sure its available now.

http://www.enduringsolutions.com/

Give Duncan @ Race Dynamics a call, he's handy with those & will know exactly whats available
It's been saying coming soon for a while from what I can gather, but when I spoke to JGM about fitting/mapping he wasn't sure when it would be available with the new features.

Originally Posted by jura11
Hi there

Mapping both ECU is same and usually you will need to pay extra for activation of the LC and ALS

If its budget don'y look further and get Syvecs,its more expensive than Alcatek or ESL,but is the best to the date ECU and if you want sell Syvecs,Syvecs have still good resale value,which I cannot say about the Alcatek or ESL

Jura
I'd love to go Syvecs at some point in the future but as with everything money is a big deciding factor. I doubt I'd often use launch control but it'd be nice to have it there to use on the lowest power map to avoid killing the DCCD. Anti Lag, I'm not even sure what it does.
Old 25 August 2013, 07:06 AM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

I may have found a bargain Simtek, whats the different between Simtek and Alcatek?
Old 25 August 2013, 08:41 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

All sorts. But its only like 65quid to get it converted to an alkatek anyway
Old 25 August 2013, 10:29 AM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

Seriously tempted now. I've found a Simtek for £400, am I looking at around £200 for a remap?.
Old 25 August 2013, 04:44 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Budget for the alkatek upgrade too. It is well worth doing.

Close loop knock detection and correction, so you can run closer to det and the ecu will pull everything back if it does go wrong.

Up to 8 maps instead of two

Flat foot shifting etc!

Well worth having!
Old 25 August 2013, 07:43 PM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV

Close loop knock detection and correction, so you can run closer to det and the ecu will pull everything back if it does go wrong.

Flat foot shifting etc!

Well worth having!
How do you switch between the possible 8 maps?
Old 25 August 2013, 08:49 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kwik
How do you switch between the possible 8 maps?
You can use CAL switch(same as on Syvecs),which you can buy from TimH@JT Innovations or AlcaTek dealer

Jura
Old 25 August 2013, 11:57 PM
sssssteeeee
Scooby Regular

Alcatek is a very effective ecu mine mapped by Mr bob rawle at a good price.knock detection and all features work very well . Als and lc are great to have but lc needs an sti box to stand the force's. Alcatek brilliant .
Old 26 August 2013, 09:54 AM
shag
Scooby Regular

sorry to jump in here but what is the average price for mapping alkatec/simtec??
Old 26 August 2013, 10:30 AM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ****
sorry to jump in here but what is the average price for mapping alkatec/simtec??
I have asked but didn't get a straight forward answer.
Old 26 August 2013, 10:58 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

I'd probably budget 3-400quid for a full set up? Would you go mafless etc? Its hard to price depending on your spec. Mine cost a lot more than average as it head a run in map, it then had a 99 map and a meth map, but also went mafless and had all kinds of other stuff done at the same time. And the boost control solenoid etc to go with it!

I've just found the invoice from engine tuner for the simtek install and it was 900+ vat, but that was supply and fit etc. Then the later invoices, for the map sensor, throttle pot, and wiring etc are 280+vat.
Old 26 August 2013, 11:05 AM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

I'd have a running in map as the engine has/is just been built. I'd then need a full remap later on, but hopefully get some tips on going maf less etc during the running in map.
I have no intention of running meth as my target with the 2.1 is 400\400.

Set up will be
2.1 engine
V4 Sti heads
(Hopefully) Td05 20g
740cc injectors
FMIC
Full decat

Possibly parallel fuel set up on full remap, but doubtful for the running in.
Old 26 August 2013, 03:23 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Why bother with a parallel fuel set up? Its expensive and might be no requirement for it? I'm running 517 and run standard fuel rails. Albeit with swirl pots and massive fuel lines etc!
Old 26 August 2013, 03:27 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Rather than set a power target, why not run one map as a road map and then ryn one as a track day/all out map? Would get decent figures with some meth in it!
Old 26 August 2013, 09:03 PM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

I'm hoping to run a 300bhp map for everyday use and 400 when it's needed. It's not impreritive to get 400
Old 27 August 2013, 01:12 PM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

I think the opposite is probably true. A new ESL ECU only costs 295+VAT where applicable and where I've seen the latest spec for sale they seem to be up for close to the new price. In fact I had to start selling them myself on ebay as in some cases people were asking for more than the price new. I strongly suspect you would have the lowest outlay and lose the smallest amount at resale with ESL.

Originally Posted by jura11
Hi there

Jura
Old 27 August 2013, 01:14 PM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

Alcatek doesnt have 8 maps, it has 8 permutations of 2 maps. Given that all the parts of the map have to work in conjunction with the other, it seems to be a feature of limited value.

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV

Flat foot shifting etc!

Well worth having!
Old 27 August 2013, 05:43 PM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner Plymouth for 4wd RR Mapping Apexi Ecutek Alcatek Proper Garage More than just a laptop!
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy Stevens
Alcatek doesnt have 8 maps, it has 8 permutations of 2 maps. Given that all the parts of the map have to work in conjunction with the other, it seems to be a feature of limited value.
As you don't have access to it Andy you'd be bound to think so.

My own daily and drag car currently runs 6 maps.
A valet map with a 3500rpm limit, a 97 ron 1 bar map, a 97 1.5 bar map, a 97 2 bar map (These mainly get used for getting to work and customer demonstration purposes), a 50/50 E85/99 1 bar map for warming up on the strip, a 50/50 E85/99 2 bar map for proper strip work and it's currently having the Nitrous upgrade.
Now of course those are just what suits me and my car, but the customer can choose what they want and whether they are permutations or not, they work perfectly well

Now add to that the fact that the Alcatek supports external sensors for oil pressure, oil temp, fuel pressure, closed loop wideband as well as having Toucan touch screen support and it becomes a no brainer really for VFM.
Old 27 August 2013, 07:26 PM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

There seems to be a fair few Simtek/Alkatek's for sale at the moment, which makes me think where are these sellers now going and why?. I don't see s/h ESL boards for sale, do they sell very few or once its bought do the customers tend to stay with it?.
Old 27 August 2013, 07:49 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy Stevens
I think the opposite is probably true. A new ESL ECU only costs 295+VAT where applicable and where I've seen the latest spec for sale they seem to be up for close to the new price. In fact I had to start selling them myself on ebay as in some cases people were asking for more than the price new. I strongly suspect you would have the lowest outlay and lose the smallest amount at resale with ESL.

Yes ESL cost less as new and mapping is very similar to the other aftermarket ECU and mapping doesn't cost more than any other ECU

ESL is great option and its worth the money,although many people want to have ALS or LC on their cars and maybe due this they will or going with different ECU

If ESL will have ALS/LC plus maybe more maps and Toucan support

We have Syvecs and really is best our investment

Jura
Old 28 August 2013, 07:54 AM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner Plymouth for 4wd RR Mapping Apexi Ecutek Alcatek Proper Garage More than just a laptop!

Originally Posted by Kwik
There seems to be a fair few Simtek/Alkatek's for sale at the moment, which makes me think where are these sellers now going and why?. I don't see s/h ESL boards for sale, do they sell very few or once its bought do the customers tend to stay with it?.
Just my theory.

It's very common in the Subaru world to start projects with all the best will and intention, but then not finish them and the cars get broken for bits.
This is where a lot of these S/H ecus of all types come from.

In my experience, rarely are second hand old SimTeks good value when you consider what you need to do to bring them up to spec.
And then there are those out there who'll sell any old rubbish telling people it's a SimTek or Alcatek ecu.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-Imp...item3a83baabc6

Looks like a stock ecu to me, the original markings on the connector plugs gives it away.
So be careful what you get suckered into buying
Old 28 August 2013, 07:08 PM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

There's that too, I wouldn't really know what I was buying unless I bought new from a reputable dealer/mapper. I started this thread as my brain was fried, I think it's worse now.
Old 28 August 2013, 09:28 PM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

It needn't, buy a new Alcatek and get it mapped by a reputable dealer, job done
Old 28 August 2013, 09:32 PM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MartynJ
It needn't, buy a new Alcatek and get it mapped by a reputable dealer, job done
Fancy buying it for me Martyn?
Do you stock/map ESL?
Old 29 August 2013, 12:26 PM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

The fact remains Alcatek doesn't have 8 maps, it has 2. In fact are the 2 maps it does have full maps or subsets and offsets? In ESL every parameter is replicated to give you two completely independent ECUs.

I understand Alcatek also doesn't have diagnostic codes, the ability to run both MAF or MAFless load and can't lay claim to OEM drive quality.

If both solutions were similarly priced then it might be a fairer fight, but when one is almost half the price of the other then I think the 'no brainer' for VFM comes down squarely in ESLs court.

In your example below, as you only have 2 ignition maps to play with, are you using the same ignition for the 1/1.5/2 bar 97 RON maps?

Originally Posted by MartynJ
As you don't have access to it Andy you'd be bound to think so.

My own daily and drag car currently runs 6 maps.
A valet map with a 3500rpm limit, a 97 ron 1 bar map, a 97 1.5 bar map, a 97 2 bar map (These mainly get used for getting to work and customer demonstration purposes), a 50/50 E85/99 1 bar map for warming up on the strip, a 50/50 E85/99 2 bar map for proper strip work and it's currently having the Nitrous upgrade.

Now of course those are just what suits me and my car, but the customer can choose what they want and whether they are permutations or not, they work perfectly well

Now add to that the fact that the Alcatek supports external sensors for oil pressure, oil temp, fuel pressure, closed loop wideband as well as having Toucan touch screen support and it becomes a no brainer really for VFM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Alkatec/Simtek or ESL