Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Boost problem advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 13 June 2013, 12:39 PM
jamiefinafshinpour
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boost problem advice needed

Hi guys I've recently got myself my first turbo scooby it's a 2001 wrx it's a rebuilt 2.1 forged pistons steel rods vf35 turbo 550 injectors aps 3.5" exhaust Harvey smith up pipe fmic amongst some other things.

I've taken it in for a full service for peace of mind I also noticed it wasn't holding boost around 5000 rpm there would be a dip then it would pick up boost again so I also got talked into a 400 quid rolling session. So far I've been told that I needed a new air flow meter crank and cam sensor and the problem still isnt resolved I've tried to search on here and a few other places and no where can I find anywhere saying I needed to replace either of these sensors. What started out at a 300 quid servce is now a growingly expensive bill. so can someone advice me if this garage is trying to take my money and also any suggestions to what the issue may be thanks
Old 13 June 2013, 12:47 PM
Turner Tronics
Scooby Regular

they see scoobys and think £$£$£$ mine misfires at about 4-5k also only thing i havent changed is coils and plugs,check for a vac leak on your turbo hosing using carb cleaner,wd40 or smoke.

clean your bcs if its three port hold the top port closed and spray carb cleaner through the middle one with some kitchen roll sitting at the bottom port.

Clean your MAF sensor,make sure your plug gaps are correct for your mods,make sure all jubilees/clamps are firm you can go on and on and its usually somethin which costs a tenner
Old 13 June 2013, 01:19 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Can we ask where you have taken the car for the work to be done.

Some garages have a terrible habit of possibly getting the prices wrong or condemn a part that has nothing wrong with it, they just don't know what the **** they are looking for
Old 13 June 2013, 02:30 PM
jamiefinafshinpour
Scooby Newbie

It's thor racing of coventry a mate of mine has checked over all the clamps and pipes which are all good also had the ngk colder plugs replaced at service. It isn't a massive issue drops from about 26 psi to 18 well I wouldn't say a issue that I wanted to spend 1000 quid on hence why I'm questions if my hard earnt cash is beig thrown away. It is running a bit rich but idles perfect and runs fine which is why I'm unsure on the sensors?
Old 14 June 2013, 09:27 AM
jason_2013
Scooby Regular

What ecu and boost control are you using?
Old 14 June 2013, 03:46 PM
jamiefinafshinpour
Scooby Newbie

It's on a standard ecu however the garage has tired another ecu but the problem remains also tried swiping the coil packs over from another scooby they had in also problem remained.
Old 14 June 2013, 05:19 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Well if the garage has tried another ecu it would run like a pig because it would not have a map on there for your modifications, so has your car been mapped?
Old 14 June 2013, 05:23 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Also to tell you to buy a new maf is a bit mad IMO if it was failing it wouldn't just decide to do it at one spot continuously and then decide to be fine again so that would lead me away from the maf, unless your getting a voltage drop for some reason at that particular point? But If it was getting stressed at 5k then why would it not be getting stressed passed 5k? Its not pulling timing at that point because its hearing knock or det going on within the engine?

I mean no disrespect here but surely the garage would have known that trying another ecu was not going to solve anything? Your way past what a wrx ecu is trying to do on a standard map