Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Trying to find what's wrong - knock correction advance

Search this Thread

Old 21 January 2013, 05:48 PM
elspa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to find what's wrong - knock correction advance

Hi guys,

I recently bought a 2004 STI with (I belive, can someone tell me if that looks like a stock map ? ) stock tune, AEM intake, HKS bov, full Sebring exhaust, TwinDisc HKS clutch. The spark plugs are new and also the timing has been replaced recently.

I made some logs to check the car out and found something strage....when it makes boost (10psi+) it starts knock correction +7 and climbs up to +10....but doesn't light up any engine code.....
It does this with the MAF pugged or unplugged, with the stock map and with a stage1 map that I had from my previous 2002 STI.
I tried OMV Carrera +100 and MOL 99 and is the same with both.

What else can I check can I check to see what's wrong beside the maf sensor ?

Thanks !
Attached Files
File Type: zip
Subaru.zip (96.1 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by elspa; 21 January 2013 at 06:33 PM.
Old 21 January 2013, 10:30 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by elspa
Hi guys,

I recently bought a 2004 STI with (I belive, can someone tell me if that looks like a stock map ? ) stock tune, AEM intake, HKS bov, full Sebring exhaust, TwinDisc HKS clutch. The spark plugs are new and also the timing has been replaced recently.

I made some logs to check the car out and found something strage....when it makes boost (10psi+) it starts knock correction +7 and climbs up to +10....but doesn't light up any engine code.....
It does this with the MAF pugged or unplugged, with the stock map and with a stage1 map that I had from my previous 2002 STI.
I tried OMV Carrera +100 and MOL 99 and is the same with both.

What else can I check can I check to see what's wrong beside the maf sensor ?

Thanks !
The 'knock correction' you are logging here is not what you think it is.

There are two ignition maps and the knock correction is the timing advance added to the base timing (amongst other factors) that contributes to the timing run by the car in the various load cells.

This knock correction will almost always be positive but this might not always mean everything is happy with the engine/map/sensors.

I havent downloaded or looked at your logs but I suggest reading up a little more on the fields you are logging before coming to conclusions about how it is running or tuning it. I hope this helps.
Old 21 January 2013, 10:54 PM
elspa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, that makes sense....the problem was that when I'm running the stage 1 map I get a slight hesitation when that occurs (the knock correction advance starts building up).