Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Ecutek ecu or gems ecu ?!

Search this Thread

Old 06 October 2012, 06:35 PM
BHPvstorque
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Ecutek ecu or gems ecu ?!

Hello
I am currently running a 1999 subaru impreza with a 2004 sti bottom end and standard uk turbo heads wanting to change the ecu to either an ecutek ver 8 ecu to match the engine or gems which is better as I can get them for roughly the same price !!
Hope you guys can help so far you have been a veritable fountain of knowledge
Cheers
Kris
Old 06 October 2012, 08:04 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

I dont think its an easy job to put the v8 ecu in to your car as the v8 sti runs avcs on the heads which i take it yours is not? You would be better of going for a AlcaTek/ Simtek or something similar for the correct year of your car as im sure the plugs on the loom that go in to the ecu changed through the years and specs of the cars, so id probably say aftermarket ecu for you over standard v8 sti ecu as there would be alot more work involved, im sure someone will correct me if im wrong although i think the v8 wrx does not run avcs on the heads but would still imagine it to be a bit of a bugger to do
Old 06 October 2012, 08:11 PM
BHPvstorque
Scooby Regular

Just realised I did not mention that I have a set of small port avcs with wiring loom so just interested in which ecu is better gems or ecutek ? Very valid point above though so thanks. I have a 2004 sti ecu but think the ecutek or gems may better suit my needs for my soon to put on sc50 billet turbo. Currently running a vf34 but want more power and the syvecs and simtek are out of reach funds wise for quite a while yet. Whereas I have been offered very good deals on the ecutek and gems.
Old 06 October 2012, 08:23 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Well im no expert lol but aftermarket management is "said" to be the best option to go especially seeing as your going for a big blower , but that said the standard v8 ecu is not that bad to be fair and many people on here are running standard management inc myself, but i think the v8 uk sti ecu will hit its boost limit at 1.5 bar or there abouts from what i have read, an aftermarket ecu gives the mapper more control over whats happening and can make changes on the move where as the ecutek needs to be uploaded each time a change is made, dont get me wrong its not a massive issue, just speak to the mapper you intend to use, they will supply you with all the answers to your questions as im sure they seen all sorts of set up's by now and make sure who ever you use has experience or can map the gems ecu as you will find one person may find them great and another may have another opinion on them
Old 06 October 2012, 10:27 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Done a few conversions and doing another this week using a syvecs ecu but alcatek can also be used, using complete avcs engines.

Guess it depends on budget. Either ecutek on standard ecu and standard heads or the whole hog
Old 06 October 2012, 11:05 PM
JTinnovations
Former Sponsor

If you have a complete newage loom - and all the sensors, inlet+idle control, etc - then that should be easy enough. But if you're using your existing manifold, and the '99 idle control etc, then you end up with a hybrid and it's not so easy to work out the "best" solution.

Can you be more specific about exactly what parts from the newage you're planning/able to transplant?
Old 07 October 2012, 09:09 AM
BHPvstorque
Scooby Regular

Hello
For the 2004 sti motor I have the bottom end and turbo vf34 currently fitted. As to the parts I have to fit I have the ecu, avcs heads and loom and inlet manifold with 565 injectors. Next month am investing in a set of coils for this model too... Is there anything else I would need you mentioned idle control sensors etc what exactly would I need so I know what to look for to make it easier to convert ?
Cheers all for you input wish I knew all this stuff..
Old 07 October 2012, 09:24 AM
JTinnovations
Former Sponsor

To keep life simple, it would be easiest to try and end up with a complete "long" engine install. That means all the sensors, inlet manifold, heads, coil packs, engine loom etc from the 2004 STi.

There will probably be some additional wiring changes you may need to make to ensure non-engine related wiring is moved over (speedo input, AC controls if any, immobiliser wiring perhaps, that sort of thing). It will never be a straight swap and there are bound to be some things that trip you up.

But if you do this I would have thought the ecutek'd ecu would be the most cost-effective solution; but, that said, I don't know much about the Gems so won't comment on whether that might be more suitable.
Old 09 October 2012, 10:38 PM
Bob Rawle
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Avoid the Gems !!

cheers

bob
Old 11 October 2012, 11:59 AM
BHPvstorque
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all your advice guys... Yes my budget is ecutek at the mo but maybe it might be worth waiting and saving to go either simtek or syvec only problem is the syvek is over double the price I can get a simtek for is there such a huge leap forward between the two to merit the extra cost ?
Old 11 October 2012, 12:07 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

There was a simtek for sale on here i seen about for the last few days, may be worth taking a look
Old 11 October 2012, 12:09 PM
JTinnovations
Former Sponsor

What are your objectives? What are you trying to achieve, now and in the future?
Old 11 October 2012, 01:33 PM
BHPvstorque
Scooby Regular

Well my initial thought are full ver 8 sti motor stroked out to 2.1 running a sc50 billet turbo
Old 11 October 2012, 01:38 PM
BHPvstorque
Scooby Regular

But as my car is a second car wondering about going 2.2t with a 2.35 stroker ?! Not sure how much that would be reckon I am looking at a now budget of £2k but if I save and go for this option going to need roughly £10k...
Old 11 October 2012, 01:57 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

And the rest
Old 11 October 2012, 02:16 PM
JTinnovations
Former Sponsor

£2k might get you the SC50 itself I guess....

But if you're planning 500bhp + I would recommend Syvecs or AlcaTek. EcuTek can be used at this level - I ran Ecutek at 480bhp-ish for a while, but ran into MAF issues due to the massive airflow, resulting in stalling when coming to a standstill as the flow reversed (or something like that lol).

There are differences between AlcaTek and Syvecs, as you'd expect given the price difference. My personal view is if the car is track orientated then you can't beat Syvecs, but if it's a road car that might see the track occasionally then AlcaTek is well worth a serious look.
Old 11 October 2012, 02:34 PM
BHPvstorque
Scooby Regular

Ii have the sc50 billet already and avcs heads, 850cc top feed injectors, 12mm modified oil pump, baffle plate, arp 11 head bolts, ver 9 nitrided crank, parallel fuel rails for the engine so some of the bits to fit...still need the rest of the stroker kit ie rods, pistons acl race bearing etc need to reverse my manifold also and get it ceramic coated too.. Actually anyone know where best to get to rotated manifold done as have the shortened piping to replacd my 888 autobahn during mount. So there are lots of costs to fit but I do have lots and lots of bits.
Old 11 October 2012, 02:35 PM
BHPvstorque
Scooby Regular

Ah so Alcatel is the way to go with mostly road and occasional Nurburgring trips.
Old 11 October 2012, 02:44 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Wanna set of rcm gt spec 2 ceramic headers to go with your upgrades
Old 11 October 2012, 02:49 PM
BHPvstorque
Scooby Regular

Funnily enough running some gt2 spec headers with RCM Venturi uppipe but may go Harvey's way with the uppipe. Thank you for the offer though. ��
Old 11 October 2012, 02:50 PM
BHPvstorque
Scooby Regular

Not sure if I need to upgrade my full Hks silent system though ?!