Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Is it worth Mapping?

Search this Thread

Old 28 September 2012, 10:52 PM
loz_dormer1988
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it worth Mapping?

Im looking for some advice ive got a MY99 Classic Turbo 2000 with 100,000 miles on the clock. MY plan was to do all the basic mod's (full Decat, Walbro, Panel Filter, TD05 16g) and then get it re-mapped. Anyway i fitted the full decat the other day and now i'm thinking is it really worth spending the money on this car or saving the cash and buying an STI or something similar. My main concern is spending £500+ on the re-map and the car be unreliable or blowing the engine due to the high(ish) millage.

Just want to see what you guys think, and what results you've had from mapping cars with 100,000+ millage on

Cheers Guys
Old 28 September 2012, 11:11 PM
toneh
Scooby Regular

The choice as to spend or buy another is all yours mate
Depends what you want , and how far you want to go and how much you want to spend
As for modding a 100k car , if the motor is solid with no issues it will be ok to mod no problem , yet again it depends how much you want to push it
Keep in mind if you're gonna go on and on modding and chasing more power you will have to get the motor rebuilt anyway ( forged )
All depends on what you want mate

Tony

Btw my bugs now got 141k on it and still going strong , After being modded

Last edited by toneh; 28 September 2012 at 11:14 PM.
Old 28 September 2012, 11:22 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

remapped several with over 100k and no issues..

its not really always the mileage, more how they have been looked after or not..
Old 28 September 2012, 11:37 PM
loz_dormer1988
Scooby Regular

Cheers fellas im not looking for massive power, just feeling the urge for a little bit more now. From the basic mods i should be looking between 280-300bhp right? The cars been well looked after as I brought it from a good friend and he's had it from pretty much new, every service has been done on schedule and he didn't exactly have a heavy right foot so I'm hoping its still got a lot more to give before I start having issues.
Old 28 September 2012, 11:38 PM
toneh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
remapped several with over 100k and no issues..

its not really always the mileage, more how they have been looked after or not..
It's not just the mapping he's looking at , by the look of things he's looking at turbo upgrades , so I would guess trying to get a considerable power increase
Obviously a map tweak for a few more bhp is not gonna push the motor as much as taking it into the 300,s with turbo and injector mods
Depends what the op is looking for and what increase hes happy with After his mods

Tony
Old 28 September 2012, 11:45 PM
loz_dormer1988
Scooby Regular

Tbh the turbo upgrade would be the last thing on the 'to do list' as I'd probably be happy enough with just the Full decat and Fuel pump for the time being.

Just to get some facts and figures set in stone in my head what prices and bhp figures would I be looking at with these mods?
Old 28 September 2012, 11:47 PM
toneh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by loz_dormer1988
Cheers fellas im not looking for massive power, just feeling the urge for a little bit more now. From the basic mods i should be looking between 280-300bhp right? The cars been well looked after as I brought it from a good friend and he's had it from pretty much new, every service has been done on schedule and he didn't exactly have a heavy right foot so I'm hoping its still got a lot more to give before I start having issues.
That's answered my last post lol
Yes mate the power you're looking for is realistic for that engine
With the mods you've listed

Tony
Old 28 September 2012, 11:55 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

I was meaning to sensible levels - ie. early 300s.. as you would expect with a td05 16g or vf size turbo 330ish
Old 28 September 2012, 11:56 PM
toneh
Scooby Regular

Tbh the turbo upgrade would be the last thing on the 'to do list' as I'd probably be happy enough with just the Full decat and Fuel pump for the time being.

Just to get some facts and figures set in stone in my head what prices and bhp figures would I be looking at with these mods?
It depends on where you get you're parts and if you can fit them or get Somone else to do the work

You will have to have ecu tek map
Usually around the £500 mark

With the mods you've listed (inc turbo ) you should be able to see the figures you're looking for Without too much trouble , if you're looking more the top end of 300 you May need to start looking at injectors
Old 29 September 2012, 12:04 AM
loz_dormer1988
Scooby Regular

Parts and fittings not a problem as I'm a Technician for Toyota so I do everything myself, it's just the Mapping side of things that's a bit of a blind spot for me. I'd be more than happy with 300bhp, that'd suit me fine! Think I'm going to take the down pipe back off for now as it seems to be using a lot more fuel than the standard cat and isn't giving me any noticeable power gains.

Cheers for the Advise guys Appreciate it!
Old 29 September 2012, 12:16 AM
toneh
Scooby Regular

Parts and fittings not a problem as I'm a Technician for Toyota so I do everything myself, it's just the Mapping side of things that's a bit of a blind spot for me. I'd be more than happy with 300bhp, that'd suit me fine! Think I'm going to take the down pipe back off for now as it seems to be using a lot more fuel than the standard cat and isn't giving me any noticeable power gains.

Cheers for the Advise guys Appreciate it!
You shouldn't really be running it with the exhaust ,ect without having it mapped ,it's not the done thing ( it does mess with you're fueling )
The mapping on your car is a pain because you are pretty limited , the usual route is ecutek or if you're planning serious mods an aftermarket ecu
Keep you're eyes peeled on here or fleabay and you will find loads of td05,16g , the norm is around 150 s/h but you can get cheaper

Tony
Old 29 September 2012, 10:47 AM
dannycelluk
Scooby Regular

I have a 1999 classic 2000, with Green panel filter/Decat/Cat back/Fuel pump and was remapped to 266bhp - 277Lb/t. Car was mapped by JGM at 90k ish and has now done 110k with no engine issues so far. car has a full subaru service history until 80k. Was well worth it in my case. im very happy with the results!
Old 29 September 2012, 11:58 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by dannycelluk
I have a 1999 classic 2000, with Green panel filter/Decat/Cat back/Fuel pump and was remapped to 266bhp - 277Lb/t. Car was mapped by JGM at 90k ish and has now done 110k with no engine issues so far. car has a full subaru service history until 80k. Was well worth it in my case. im very happy with the results!
glad its still running well Danny