Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

mapping question

Search this Thread

Old 05 September 2012, 10:13 AM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default mapping question

my my96 wagon is running 315@ 1.3 bar with andy f remap on apexi, td05, 440,s and later spec map sensor and 100 cell sportcat and turbo back and ninja box. i now have parts for another map consisting of: api ported and wrapped oem headers and wrapped up pipe, 3" twin outlet decat tapering to 2.5 at flange, fmic and k&n induction kit. any guesses on how much extra these mods might acheive? im hoping for quicker spool up too. i also have an apexi avc-d which is the earlier version of the avc-r and has the apexi 3 port with it as well. i have the subaru 3 port on atm but im assuming the apexi would work better to control the boost alongside the apexi ecu? it has the rpm based boost control too and scramble boost function etc. the main point of the thread was to ask which parts i could add safely and still drive until map time? fmic and decat will change afr,s i would imagine but could i fit the headers and up pipe and drive for a few weeks until the fmic etc was fitted? any advice is appreciated thanks.
Old 05 September 2012, 08:12 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

anyone?
Old 06 September 2012, 02:10 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ported headers and better up pipe should/can bring spool up to lower RPM with better torque

About the AVC-D not sure,but I'm sure Andy will help you set this up,Apexi 3-port are good,but Subaru Classic 3-port are good too and many people regarded as best Subaru boost solenoid

On your Power FC you are limited with controlling boost above 1.2bar..AVC-D is good boost controller,but if you can get Apexi AVC-R which is much better plus have in gear boost control,as i said AVC-D is not bad boost controller

If you will fit FMIC,headers and decat exhaust you will need run off the boost to your mapper,but this depends how many miles we are talking about,but for sure I will ask Andy about this

Jura
Old 07 September 2012, 12:10 AM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice Jura much appreciated. the avc- d is pretty much similar and uses the same 3 port as the r version. It has rpm based boost control and speed sensitive boost as well as scramble boost plus I like the retro look of it lol. I think I might get headers and up pipe and decat fitted with the k&n induction kit and cold feed and do the front mount at a later date and see how the map tweak goes but I'm sure the fmic will need done to lower temps as I'm on the small slanty ic.
Old 07 September 2012, 12:35 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

FMIC will be good to add and drive off the boost to your mapper..

Speak to Andy,I'm sure he will help you with the best possible solution and I still think you can fit all those parts and drive to your mapper off the boost

How far you are from Andy place or where will be mapping done

Jura
Old 07 September 2012, 03:33 AM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Cheers again Jura. RA Motorsport have Andy down 2 days per month for mapping and they are only 20 miles or so from my house so not too far to drive. If the apexi ecu only controls boost upto 1.2 bar how come Andy said mine is at 1.3 bar? Am I missing something m8? Doesn't the later map spec sensor fool the ecu into seeing less boost or something along those lines?
Old 07 September 2012, 03:48 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

20 miles will not make damage,if you will drive off the boost to RA Motorsport

Apexi Power FC should control more with later spec MAP sensor(above 1.0bar,with older MAP sensor should read no more than 1.2bar),I misread this,but with Apexi boost controller you should have better boost control

Jura

Jura
Old 07 September 2012, 06:04 AM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Cheers Jura. Will be a few weeks until the map so I will try and get some help fitting the front mount as I've never fitted one before. Will post up how I get on when it's done. Thanks again.
Old 08 September 2012, 07:40 AM
SiHethers
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fitting any of the components could theoretically render your map unsafe even though you're on a MAF based system, but would be a much bigger problem if mafless. Changing the exhaust components could improve VE to move you to an uncalibrated part of the fuel or ignition map. Changing to FMIC will improve charge density with similar effect, and allow more boost at higher rpm, and may need some throttle transient adjustments. Changing induction components upstream of the MAF can cause an offset causing the ecu to see less load than actual. If you fit the avcd you might be tempted to turn the boost up..

Andy will have made the higher load zones than you currently access in the ecu safe in terms of ignition and fuelling, but probably not worth the risk, and you won't be seeing the full benefits till properly recalibrated to your new mods.

In my opinion, get a date booked with Andy, then put it in the garage a couple days early to allow the mods to be fitted. You haven't mentioned an updated fuel pump, which would be essential and you might want to consider upping the fuel pressure with a decent regulator to give Andy some pulse width on your 440s to get the most from the td05 at higher rpm.

Last edited by SiHethers; 08 September 2012 at 07:41 AM.
Old 08 September 2012, 12:57 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

thanks for the very detailed answer bud! walbro was fitted for the first mapping so thats all good. adjustable fuel reg is fitted also so thats covered as well. i wouldnt touch the boost and would let andy set that if its fitted at mapping time. so if these parts are fitted say a week or so before mapping i can drive off boost? the fmic will be fitted by a friend and then the other parts can be fitted at the garage.
Old 09 September 2012, 08:23 AM
SiHethers
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Off boost you'll be fine